Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Google Safesearch No longer safe. (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22190)

fourwind 09-04-2010 09:41 PM

Google Safesearch No longer safe.

Yeah, um, google kinda dropped the ball.
I knew some weird images got through every now and then, but now its just ridiculous. Even strict doesn't help.

Anyone else been getting unwanted images?

death 09-04-2010 10:37 PM

Re: Google Safesearch No longer safe.

yeah... don't... image search. that's just something you should really only do when you're looking for something funny. I mean, the worst thing you could get by searching "epic fail" is a demotivator with a swear word on it. but when you search other things... yeah.

also: safesearch doesn't really do much. I myself found no difference between the two.

CheeseLord 09-04-2010 11:09 PM

As a test, I looked a few things up with Safesearch off, on moderate, and on strict. There were more results on strict. That said, it tends to slightly improve the quality of the results, but not significantly. It also rearranges them, which is a bit odd.

Gigacat 09-05-2010 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CheeseLord (Post 308569)
As a test, I looked a few things up with Safesearch off, on moderate, and on strict. There were more results on strict. That said, it tends to slightly improve the quality of the results, but not significantly. It also rearranges them, which is a bit odd.

Are you sure they were the same images (ie, same images, put on the internet by other people).

And yeah, I dont really search on images.

AtkinsSJ 09-06-2010 10:32 AM

IIRC, changing from moderate to strict only affects text, not images...
Yeah! Here we go:
Quote:

Moderate filtering: This option excludes most explicit images from Google Images results but doesn't filter ordinary web search results. This is your default SafeSearch setting; you'll receive moderate filtering unless you change it.
Strict filtering: This applies SafeSearch filtering to both image and web search results.
No filtering: This option turns SafeSearch filtering off completely.

PlasmaCannonsRule 09-06-2010 05:10 PM

I learned the hard way a few years ago that SafeSearch wasn't ever safe.

sonicchaos1993 09-08-2010 02:22 PM

Safesearch is actually doing exactly what it's supposed to do- remove explicit content. The whole purpose of safesearch is to avoid adult content in search results, so it typically won't filter out images with swears on them. (After all, there's no way for a computer to know that an image has a swear on it)

yourter12 09-08-2010 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule (Post 308696)
I learned the hard way a few years ago that SafeSearch wasn't ever safe.

I'd be interested to hear the story- if it's appropriate to say.

SpiderPumpkin 09-08-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 (Post 308876)
Safesearch is actually doing exactly what it's supposed to do- remove explicit content.

The problem is it's not doing that. It's not just about swearing or non-Hamumu-appropriate things, it's also fairly bad at detecting (very clearly) "mature" content; had my last explicit image result only a few days ago while attempting to look up artwork from an E-rated video game (and no, it wasn't even related to the character I was searching for, nor the game). Not sure if it actually got worse in that respect, though; as far as I can remember, it's always been letting results through when it shouldn't, even with perfectly normal search terms.

PlasmaCannonsRule 09-10-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourter12 (Post 308883)
I'd be interested to hear the story- if it's appropriate to say.

Not really that interesting- I was doing research for a science project in 7th grade and I was looking for an image and it came up with some disturbing uncensored images of eye surgery.