Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adventures Of Bouapha (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Adventures Of Bouapha Architecture Funtest! (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14604)

Jamul 01-07-2008 02:22 PM

Adventures Of Bouapha Architecture Funtest!

Want to be famous worldwide, and featured in the biggest game of 2008!? That's a shame, because I can only offer a spot in my game.

The Adventures Of Bouapha Architecture Funtest!

It's not a contest, there are no prizes except enormous fame. It's a FUNTEST!

The next Adventure Of Bouapha takes place in a city in Canada. I want to make a very very large city (it's not a particularly large city in the real-world sense, but in terms of game-space), where the player can roam free as the wind. But if I were to craft all the buildings for such a city myself, it would end up enormously repetitive, since I'd make about 3 buildings and then copy & paste the rest.

So this is where you come in! Have you guessed what you are doing yet? Constructing buildings! In brief, you must create a building in the Supreme editor and send it to me, and I will put it somewhere in the city, once I develop a utility to extract parts of a level and paste them into another level.

In less brief, here are the specific details (I know there's a ton of text here, but it's all quite important, so read them all if you wish to be famous!):

1 - Make 1 or more buildings to be included in the next Adventure Of Bouapha. Make them in the Supreme editor.

2 - Because this is all about art, and because I said so, your building must be made entirely of brand new tiles made by you or someone else for this funtest. No pre-existing tiles may be used! Also, remember the art style - it's like Loonyland 2, all cartoons. I'm more interested in cartoony, simple stuff than in gritty realistic stuff.

3 - Because AoB3 features all new artwork (including yours, see rule 2), you may use items to decorate, but they will end up being replaced by new items, so don't count on them looking too much like they do now. Also, limit your item choices to the list below (remember, you can build anything else you need out of tiles!):
  • Normal trees, pine trees, and bushes.
  • Mailboxes.
  • NO Palm trees or Fat Palms.
  • No custom items allowed (use tiles!).
  • I can't think of any others off-hand, but I'll add them here if they are requested and should be in the list.
4 - No specials at all! No monsters! Just tiles and a select few items. This is an art project, not a gameplay project. Think of it as drawing a picture using a very specialized tool. Don't rely on tile effects, either. Animation is available (but not recommended, to conserve tiles), as well as water and impassable tiles, but that's all. No lava, no bouncy, etc. Water will not be fatal in this game, it will probably just be impassable.

5 - Build your building out of wall tiles, and of course the ground out of floor tiles. You can make a nice tall building by stacking walls one up on the other. You may employ tricks like having a fire escape the player can walk up, or stairs, etc. You know how to do those!

6 - I am trying to have a decent sense of scale in this game, so try to keep things to scale. A door should be 2 tiles wide by 3 tiles high, approximately (obviously, some doors are bigger, but a smaller door would be too small for the AoB3 Bouapha!).

7 - You are only making the building and its immediate yard. Don't make sidewalk or roads. Any space in your level outside of the yard should be the default purple tiles to clearly mark where your work ends. You are welcome to include fences and such around your property if you want.

8 - No interiors, just the outside of the building.

9 - If you want to make multiple buildings, make them all in one level, lined up in a row, with at least one tile of purple between them to separate. Keep them within a few tiles of each other so I don't get lost looking for them.

10 - Save your buildings in a 1-level world, and name it "building_XXXXX.dlw" where XXXXX is your forum name (or some reasonable shortening that I will easily recognize!). Set the author name for your world too! If you send in more buildings later, use the same file.

11 - Keep your tile usage LOW! As low as you possibly can. Make sure you use "Delete Unused Tiles" as well. 10 or less tiles per building would be great. If you need to use more (as you likely would), please make multiple buildings that share tiles. Remember what I'm trying to accomplish here... an entire city full of unique buildings is going to mean a LOT of tiles, so go easy. I'm going to make this game have a higher tile limit than Supreme, but I can't go crazy.

12 - Teamwork is encouraged. If you can do a pass-along thing with someone else and share tiles that way, that will save on tiles! Or if you just want to make some tiles and post them up for other people to use, that's good too! Make sure I know about all this stuff so I can credit properly in the game. It would be helpful, if you are willing to share, to post your tiles on the forum as soon as you've made them. That way, people can share in the tiles and keep the total tile usage down, as well as make buildings that look like they belong together. Don't be afraid to share - the tiles will all end up in the exact same game anyway!

13 - I need small buildings, big buildings, houses, stores, factories, etc. Definitely build your own house, that's just fun for you and me. Then whatever other buildings you want. Nothing HUGE, please. If it doesn't fit on one screen (20x20 tiles), it shouldn't go much beyond that. No skyscrapers, both for size and because this isn't that big of a city. Remember, this is a medium-sized Canadian city, so think of what they might have there.

14 - When you send your world to me (email it to jamul@hamumu.com ), tell me in the email what the buildings are, and of course don't forget who you are (your forum name, presumably, but whatever you want to be credited as in the game would be good). I will try to use all this information in game, like bumping into a mailbox might say "Jamul's House", or that kind of thing.

15 - Funtest closes February 1st. Get your buildings in before then!

16 - By submitting an entry, you are giving me the right to use it in this game, and in promotional images, and to otherwise display it in relation to this game (but not use it for any purposes other than those related to Adventures Of Bouapha 3). You also recognize that I might not use it, and that it's up to me which ones get included. And lastly, I reserve the right to make any changes to your submitted work that I see fit, but you will be credited for your submission if it's used. That's about as legalese as I get.

If you have any questions or comments, post away or contact me privately. Build, my minions, build!

ducklegion 01-07-2008 04:39 PM

Re: Adventures Of Bouapha Architecture Funtest!

sounds like fun

Coolguy 01-07-2008 06:04 PM

Are we allowed to leave grass alone to match AoB 3 grass, or do we have to make our own (that probably won't match)? :p

Jamul 01-07-2008 06:07 PM

Make your own! The idea is that your building and surrounding block are like a piece of artwork by you.

Which reminds me of another line for #16: I also reserve the right to make any changes I see fit to what you submit, but whatever I do, if I use your work, you'll be credited.

(so I may very well replace your grass, or your bricks, or doors, but in case I don't, make your own!)

dagamer 01-07-2008 06:37 PM

but how do you make custom tiles? <- N00b Question.

Wesley 01-07-2008 07:07 PM

Sounds interesting, but I'm no good at making tiles.

Redbone 01-07-2008 07:50 PM

Ok, I'm starting.
But 2 questions:

1. Do we do the outside only, or can we make it so you can go in and out.
2. Can we make signs that says things like "Out to Lunch"?

Jamul 01-07-2008 07:51 PM

The simplest answer is to open any of the existing tilesets in a paint program, and draw your new tiles over them! Of course, for this funtest, make sure you only use your new tiles and not any of the old ones. The only trick comes in with saving the file. Depending on the program, you may have a hard time getting a save in the right format (256 color BMP, without changing the palette the file originally had).

Jamul 01-07-2008 07:51 PM

Redbone: #2, yes. #1 is covered very clearly in the rules, so make SURE you read them all. I know there's a ton there, but I won't be able to use stuff that doesn't follow all of them.

PurpleKoopa 01-07-2008 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamul (Post 156590)
Redbone: #2, yes.

So can we use specials for signs or would you have to use tiles?

Jamul 01-07-2008 10:59 PM

No specials, just signs that physically have writing on them. And of course, made out of tiles, not items!

Redbone 01-08-2008 10:11 AM

Aww. I just finished making the tiles. Better make more.

AtkinsSJ 01-09-2008 09:35 AM

Hmmm. Sounds interesting, though I'll have to make sure I don't go crazy with the tiles.

Jamul 01-09-2008 11:46 AM

A tile-usage note:

It's more important to make your building interesting and convey what it is than it is to waste tiles making a sign like "Bob|'s F|ood |Shac|k". I will make generic signs and put them in front of stores with specials, so the player can bump into them and be told what the store is.

So don't necessarily avoid having a sign on the building, if that's what you want it to do, but you don't need it to explain what the store is - I can get that done later myself with a generic sign. Just don't forget to tell me what your store is in your email!

Of course, if you are making a house, no signs needed in the first place. And there will be an in-game feature that tells people whose house it is (or at least, who built it). That goes for all buildings, so don't waste tiles trying to get your name in there!

SpaceManiac 01-10-2008 04:42 PM

If I made building tiles but they're not completely new (used in another of my worlds), do they still count?

Jamul 01-10-2008 04:46 PM

No, as the rules say, new artwork only. This is a whole new project with a whole new look!

SpaceManiac 01-10-2008 04:49 PM

Grr... I have tons of artwork, but now I'll have to sort through it and see which I've actually used anywhere...

Knittel 01-12-2008 02:48 AM

That tile limit is really hard, espaccialy if the door should be 2x3 tiles big. Because I need 6 tiles only for the door. But I'll sent in my House. I hope it's good enough. *opens Mail program*

Jamul 01-12-2008 11:35 AM

It's not a limit, just a request. Do what you can to keep it as low as possible. If it comes down to a shortage of tiles, I'll definitely be kicking out the ones that use tons of tiles and keeping the ones that use few, of course. So it's a good plan to keep it low!

One idea I've had for really maximizing the tile space is to make each district its own map file. That way only buildings in the same district need to share the tile set.

Hammer Up! 01-16-2008 07:15 PM

the building can be a little ugly?Because i am VERY bad with drawing.And i cant make grass tiles.Its hard!

PS:i really want to participate,so dont say "give up,then"!

Blackduck 01-16-2008 09:30 PM

If you want to make an easy grass tile just make a square, fill it with green the use the spray can tool with different shades and add it into the square. It may not look perfect, but it's better then nothing.

Ducky 01-23-2008 06:34 PM

Alright people..time is running out and Jamul needs more entries. It doesn't have to be great, just try your hand at it, and see what you can do.
If you think you are having trouble, ask someone here to help. :)

Most of us here would be glad to assist you! :D

I sent in a few of my creations, and I am not the best at it. I had fun
doing it, so thats what is important to me. I tried, so even if none of them
get used, I have no regrets. And besides...this was my first try at
making anything in the SWC editor, and I think I did fine.

C'mon my friends...what can it hurt, eh? :confused:

Besides, I myself, would be happy to lend my tiles out to any one of you,
if you can't make tiles, or even if you'd like to see them. Just ask. :mrgreen:

- Ducky (Always happy to lend a wing!)

Jamul 01-23-2008 08:03 PM

Yes, we only have buildings from 3 people so far (though a fair number of buildings between them, maybe 10 or 12 total). Don't be afraid of the "10 tile limit" - It's not a limit, and with so few entries happening, no reason to really concern yourself with it. I mean, still don't go nuts, but if your building uses up 20 or 25 tiles, you will be fine.

PurpleKoopa 01-23-2008 08:55 PM

I got around to making tiles (which I am going to let everyone use and edit, although the grass tile is rushed) but they come up incorrectly in the editor...

Link to tiles

Can anyone fix these?

Knittel 01-24-2008 05:55 AM

Wow. Really Cool. I wish I would be able to make as good tiles as PurpleKoopa2000.

Mr.Onion 01-24-2008 09:41 AM

Thanks! I think that will finally convince me to make a building. :p

Hammer Up! 01-24-2008 12:11 PM

i need help!When i use the tiles at the game,the colors get inverted!(only the colors of my custom tiles)

Ducky 01-24-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittel (Post 160052)
Wow. Really Cool. I wish I would be able to make as good tiles as PurpleKoopa2000.

Hey now! Ok, I am not jealous...lol. Here are my tiles if someone
would like them.

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...duckytiles.jpg

- Ducky (Lets build, people!) :D

Hammer Up! 01-24-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer Up! (Post 160330)
i need help!When i use the tiles at the game,the colors get inverted!(only the colors of my custom tiles)

I need help!Before we reach the deadline!Jamul?

.Blue Dwarf. 01-24-2008 03:14 PM

Too bad for me, those sites are blocked by parental controls:(.

Hammer Up! 01-24-2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer Up! (Post 160330)

i need help fast before we reach the deadline,Jamul!

TyTBone 01-24-2008 08:14 PM

Are you sure you're saving the tiles in 256 color?

Ducky 01-24-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. (Post 160374)
Too bad for me, those sites are blocked by parental controls:(.

I can email them to you directly, and I would be happy to. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyTBone (Post 160449)
Are you sure you're saving the tiles in 256 color?

I second that question.

- Ducky (Link me up, and save 'em right. lol)

Hammer Up! 01-24-2008 10:37 PM

256 color?how?

TyTBone 01-24-2008 11:31 PM

Well, in Paint (which is what I did the tiles in), you click Save or Save As, and at the bottom of the screen, and under SAVE AS TYPE, you select "256 Color Bitmap (*bmp, *dib)".

Now, if you were doing the coloring in 24 bit (which is default in Paint), you will notice that the colors change one way or another. (The computer tries to find the "closest match".) The colors might look whacked now, but unfortunately, your only alternative is to redo them using colors accepted by 256 bit :( (which will automatically happen once it's saved as 256).

I hope that helps one way or another. If not, PM somebody who knows what they're talking about around here! (Not necessarily me.)

AtkinsSJ 01-25-2008 08:09 AM

I've kept being busy/lazy/forgetting. I'll try to get round to having a go... Actually, I need to install Supreme...

Knittel 01-25-2008 08:24 AM

Here is a much easier way to do that, just edit asylum.bmp or any other tileset!

Jamul 01-25-2008 09:02 AM

Your tiles have to be in the original game's palette, so it's a very tricky thing if you don't just editing an existing tileset and save it back the way it was. You can try loading an existing tileset and loading your tiles, then copy and pasting your tiles into the tileset (hoping that it will convert them when you do - I think The Gimp will), and then saving it.

Ducky 01-25-2008 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamul (Post 160550)
...try loading an existing tileset and loading your tiles, then copy
and pasting your tiles into the tileset (hoping that it will convert them
when you do), and then saving it.

Yeah, I also second that. That is exactly how I did it, then I just changed
everything that wasnt mine to purple squares. How I also did it, was I used
MS paint, and contrary to the negative popularity of it, I really got used to it,
and I think it is great to use for stuff.
Oh, and one more thing, make sure the tiles are 32x24 pixels. It really helps
to remember that, since the editor only uses that scape for tiles, or else you
get bleedover into other tiles. Hope that helps alittle.

- Ducky (Going back to making more buildings)

Knittel 01-25-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducky (Post 160587)
Yeah, I also second that. That is exactly how I did it, then I just changed
everything that wasnt mine to purple squares. How I also did it, was I used
MS paint, and contrary to the negative popularity of it, I really got used to it,
and I think it is great to use for stuff.
Oh, and one more thing, make sure the tiles are 32x24 pixels. It really helps
to remember that, since the editor only uses that scape for tiles, or else you
get bleedover into other tiles. Hope that helps alittle.

- Ducky (Going back to making more buildings)

If you use the Purple Squares that isn't necessary. But yeah, it's always better to know that than to don't that. ;)

TyTBone 01-25-2008 12:20 PM

Okay, I'm rather new to the Supreme editor, so excuse a noobie question (it's mainly just clarification):

You can't stick walls literally on top of one another, right? Bouapha can never be fully hidden...

To make buildings, essentially you just make the front larger than the roof, to try to make it look realisitic, right? ("false 3D" I think is what Jamul called the Hamumu gaming style, but there's also another term I can't think of.)

Jamul 01-25-2008 12:35 PM

When you are trying to make a fake wall taller than 1 block tall, the trick is simple: except for the bottom row, you'll only ever see the tops of the walls. So make the tops of your walls be what you want the front of the building to be (up until the point where you want your roof to be, where you continue on making the tops of your walls be whatever you want for a roof).

RRRR
RRRR
PPPP
PPPP
PPPP<

There's a building 3 bricks tall and 2 bricks 'deep'. The very bottom row, you would be using wall tiles set to P/P (the same tile, "P" on the front and top of them). The rest of the rows going up, you'd use tiles with the top set to P, and it doesn't matter what the front is set to. The rooftop is made with tiles with the top set to R, and it doesn't matter what the front is set to.

It gets tricky when you put in windows and doors - you'll usually be working on a tile one tile lower than you feel like you should be. But as long as you remember that you only care what the TOP of the wall tiles is (except for the very bottom row), you'll get it right eventually.

And no, Bouapha can never walk behind walls more than 1 tile deep, so it's never really 3D.

Knittel 01-25-2008 12:42 PM

Here's also something, which confused me at the beginning. I've tried to make a Wall, but somehow it was impossible to use that one tile for the Wall. After 10 minutes I realized that the first tile in your tileset can't be on Walls. I post it here, that the same didn't happen to you again. ;)

TyTBone 01-25-2008 12:43 PM

Thanks for the timely response, Jamul!

I THINK that's what I was doing (essentually making the front and top of the walls be the same tile type - not hard considering how simple the my tiles look), but I'll copy this info and make sure.

Couldn't you program the editor (or something like that) to allow placement of walls on walls, for a 3D-ier affect? (Just a thought...)

TyTBone 01-25-2008 12:58 PM

When the "request" on the Funfest rules asks for buildings with only ten or twenty tiles, does that mean ten or twenty DIFFERENT kinds of homemade tiles, or PLACEMENT of ten or twenty tiles per building.

I really hope it's ten or twenty DIFFERENT kinds of tiles, because a building that's scaled somewhat realistically (with a 2width x 3height door) is going to need quite a bit more for PLACEMENT to make it look right.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't really think of a better way to word this. I hope it's not too confusing.

(PS Is the new Bouapha built to look like he can actually fit through a door?)

Jamul 01-25-2008 02:43 PM

Yes, you can place as many tiles as you can fit within the level area you have!

Mr.Onion 01-31-2008 10:48 AM

February 1st, when?

Jamul 01-31-2008 11:12 AM

February 1st, ish.

TyTBone 01-31-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamul (Post 162530)
February 1st, ish.

Are you still in desperate need of buildings?

Jamul 01-31-2008 02:31 PM

I've gotten a lot. I don't know how many because I haven't checked them out, but most of the emails have said something that suggests they contain at least a few buildings, so I'm sure there are more than 20 so far, probably more like 40. You are still welcome to submit!

Davedude 01-31-2008 03:10 PM

oh, I forgot, and now I can't do one!

.Blue Dwarf. 01-31-2008 04:30 PM

Hmmmm... Could I still send one in?

And are the buildings supposed to be cartoony with rounded edges or straight and blocky or what?
*Starts making a building, don't care if it's too late, I'm still going to build it*

Coolguy 01-31-2008 05:06 PM

I finally got around to sending my buildings! Huzzah for the Maple Syrup Factory! :p

Are we allowed to re-use our tiles in Supreme/LL2/Stockboy worlds after the game is released? I'm just wondering because I like some of the tiles I made for this.

Jamul 01-31-2008 05:20 PM

Well, it's your artwork to do with as you wish. But I don't approve of doing that... this is a unique special moment in history, let it be perfect and charming!

TyTBone 01-31-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. (Post 162589)
Hmmmm... Could I still send one in?

And are the buildings supposed to be cartoony with rounded edges or straight and blocky or what?
*Starts making a building, don't care if it's too late, I'm still going to build it*

Good for you! It says in the rules that Jamul wants cartoony stuff, not "gritty".

TyTBone 01-31-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedude (Post 162572)
oh, I forgot, and now I can't do one!

I'm sure Jamul could still use some! :D

.Blue Dwarf. 02-01-2008 12:23 AM

Almost done... But I'm too sleepy to finish....(1:30 AM)
Meh, I'm going to bed.

PS: It is maybe a video store? Meh, i don't know what it is yet...

AtkinsSJ 02-01-2008 08:18 AM

Bah. I put it off for too long. Unless I do it RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think what I started was anything special anyway. Only one of my tiles is at all decent.

Mr.Onion 02-01-2008 08:45 AM

My tileset gets messed up, and I can't fix it with Paint.NET. :(

TyTBone 02-01-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. (Post 162686)
Almost done... But I'm too sleepy to finish....(1:30 AM)
Meh, I'm going to bed.

PS: It is maybe a video store? Meh, i don't know what it is yet...

Well, don't lose sleep over this...But still send it in even though it's past due date. (That's my recommendation, anyway.)

TyTBone 02-01-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Onion (Post 162748)
My tileset gets messed up, and I can't fix it with Paint.NET. :(

"Gets" messed up? Like the colors change? I think we discussed that earlier in

the forum.

dagamer 02-01-2008 07:51 PM

is this still goin on cause i have no time to do it but i MUST!

.Blue Dwarf. 02-02-2008 01:31 PM

Where the buildings supposed to be 3-d-ish?

AtkinsSJ 02-02-2008 01:49 PM

Well, as 3D as Supreme allows.

Jamul 02-05-2008 06:23 PM

Funtest over! Thanks for all the submissions. I actually haven't even looked at most of them yet, but I will someday, and someday further I will actually work out how to put them into the game (yes, I still don't have a way to do that - but I know I can accomplish it with some ease).

dagamer 02-05-2008 07:42 PM

:oNOO! I missed my chance!

.Blue Dwarf. 02-05-2008 09:47 PM

Meh, I didn't send mine in...

I don't think my buildings were the right style... They might have been though! (they looked good but...)
Look in one of my new worlds to see them!
(when I finish making a new world ofcoarse...)