Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adventures Of Bouapha (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Adventures Of Bouapha Architecture Funtest! (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14604)

TyTBone 01-25-2008 12:20 PM

Re: Adventures Of Bouapha Architecture Funtest!

Okay, I'm rather new to the Supreme editor, so excuse a noobie question (it's mainly just clarification):

You can't stick walls literally on top of one another, right? Bouapha can never be fully hidden...

To make buildings, essentially you just make the front larger than the roof, to try to make it look realisitic, right? ("false 3D" I think is what Jamul called the Hamumu gaming style, but there's also another term I can't think of.)

Jamul 01-25-2008 12:35 PM

When you are trying to make a fake wall taller than 1 block tall, the trick is simple: except for the bottom row, you'll only ever see the tops of the walls. So make the tops of your walls be what you want the front of the building to be (up until the point where you want your roof to be, where you continue on making the tops of your walls be whatever you want for a roof).

RRRR
RRRR
PPPP
PPPP
PPPP<

There's a building 3 bricks tall and 2 bricks 'deep'. The very bottom row, you would be using wall tiles set to P/P (the same tile, "P" on the front and top of them). The rest of the rows going up, you'd use tiles with the top set to P, and it doesn't matter what the front is set to. The rooftop is made with tiles with the top set to R, and it doesn't matter what the front is set to.

It gets tricky when you put in windows and doors - you'll usually be working on a tile one tile lower than you feel like you should be. But as long as you remember that you only care what the TOP of the wall tiles is (except for the very bottom row), you'll get it right eventually.

And no, Bouapha can never walk behind walls more than 1 tile deep, so it's never really 3D.

Knittel 01-25-2008 12:42 PM

Here's also something, which confused me at the beginning. I've tried to make a Wall, but somehow it was impossible to use that one tile for the Wall. After 10 minutes I realized that the first tile in your tileset can't be on Walls. I post it here, that the same didn't happen to you again. ;)

TyTBone 01-25-2008 12:43 PM

Thanks for the timely response, Jamul!

I THINK that's what I was doing (essentually making the front and top of the walls be the same tile type - not hard considering how simple the my tiles look), but I'll copy this info and make sure.

Couldn't you program the editor (or something like that) to allow placement of walls on walls, for a 3D-ier affect? (Just a thought...)

TyTBone 01-25-2008 12:58 PM

When the "request" on the Funfest rules asks for buildings with only ten or twenty tiles, does that mean ten or twenty DIFFERENT kinds of homemade tiles, or PLACEMENT of ten or twenty tiles per building.

I really hope it's ten or twenty DIFFERENT kinds of tiles, because a building that's scaled somewhat realistically (with a 2width x 3height door) is going to need quite a bit more for PLACEMENT to make it look right.

I'm sorry, but I couldn't really think of a better way to word this. I hope it's not too confusing.

(PS Is the new Bouapha built to look like he can actually fit through a door?)

Jamul 01-25-2008 02:43 PM

Yes, you can place as many tiles as you can fit within the level area you have!

Mr.Onion 01-31-2008 10:48 AM

February 1st, when?

Jamul 01-31-2008 11:12 AM

February 1st, ish.

TyTBone 01-31-2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamul (Post 162530)
February 1st, ish.

Are you still in desperate need of buildings?

Jamul 01-31-2008 02:31 PM

I've gotten a lot. I don't know how many because I haven't checked them out, but most of the emails have said something that suggests they contain at least a few buildings, so I'm sure there are more than 20 so far, probably more like 40. You are still welcome to submit!

Davedude 01-31-2008 03:10 PM

oh, I forgot, and now I can't do one!

.Blue Dwarf. 01-31-2008 04:30 PM

Hmmmm... Could I still send one in?

And are the buildings supposed to be cartoony with rounded edges or straight and blocky or what?
*Starts making a building, don't care if it's too late, I'm still going to build it*

Coolguy 01-31-2008 05:06 PM

I finally got around to sending my buildings! Huzzah for the Maple Syrup Factory! :p

Are we allowed to re-use our tiles in Supreme/LL2/Stockboy worlds after the game is released? I'm just wondering because I like some of the tiles I made for this.

Jamul 01-31-2008 05:20 PM

Well, it's your artwork to do with as you wish. But I don't approve of doing that... this is a unique special moment in history, let it be perfect and charming!

TyTBone 01-31-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. (Post 162589)
Hmmmm... Could I still send one in?

And are the buildings supposed to be cartoony with rounded edges or straight and blocky or what?
*Starts making a building, don't care if it's too late, I'm still going to build it*

Good for you! It says in the rules that Jamul wants cartoony stuff, not "gritty".

TyTBone 01-31-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedude (Post 162572)
oh, I forgot, and now I can't do one!

I'm sure Jamul could still use some! :D

.Blue Dwarf. 02-01-2008 12:23 AM

Almost done... But I'm too sleepy to finish....(1:30 AM)
Meh, I'm going to bed.

PS: It is maybe a video store? Meh, i don't know what it is yet...

AtkinsSJ 02-01-2008 08:18 AM

Bah. I put it off for too long. Unless I do it RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: Actually, I don't think what I started was anything special anyway. Only one of my tiles is at all decent.

Mr.Onion 02-01-2008 08:45 AM

My tileset gets messed up, and I can't fix it with Paint.NET. :(

TyTBone 02-01-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. (Post 162686)
Almost done... But I'm too sleepy to finish....(1:30 AM)
Meh, I'm going to bed.

PS: It is maybe a video store? Meh, i don't know what it is yet...

Well, don't lose sleep over this...But still send it in even though it's past due date. (That's my recommendation, anyway.)