Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adventures Of Bouapha (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Happyponygate Weapon Mini-Contest! (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15657)

Jamul 04-08-2008 06:05 PM

Happyponygate Weapon Mini-Contest!

I am looking at my weapon list in Happyponygate, and I've broken it into certain categories, based on what type of damage they do. You know, like in an RPG you might have Fire damage, Lightning damage, and Acid damage maybe. I have 5 other types of damage I am not going to tell you about just yet.

I ended up deciding I didn't like one of the categories at all, so I shuffled things around, and now there are only 4 categories of weapon instead of 5. But that actually means I need more weapons! Previously there were 2 weapons of each type, and now there are 3. So that means 2 new weapons (actually more than that, because I also dropped a couple weapons I didn't like). But I've figured out all the weapons and I'm quite happy with them... except for one. I have one blank weapon slot.

So here is your challenge:

1 - Post an idea in this thread for a weapon for Bouapha to use in Happyponygate.

2 - The weapon must inflict CHOCO DAMAGE. (That's short for chocolate, in case you had any doubt)

3 - If your weapon inspires me the most, it will go in the game, and you will go in the credits as the weapon designer!

4 - I may just invent my own if nothing is inspirational enough, so be inspiring!

5 - I will definitely have this weapon chosen by Monday, April 14th, so get your entry in before that.

6 - No limit on entries, so post away with whatever you think of. This is kind of a brainstorming session.

7 - It is possible for there to be multiple winners, for example if I like a weapon but prefer the name of another weapon. I may combine entries in that way, and both winners will get credit.

8 - Don't use trademarked names in your name. Firing colorful candy-coated chocolates is fine, but using M&M in the name is not going to be a name I can use!

Tips on weapon design:

- Nothing extremely elaborate, like "it drops a block of chocolate from the sky that folds out into a chocolate robot and you hop in and can shoot guys". I'm looking for a general use weapon that you would be firing constantly, not a super attack you could only use once every 5 minutes.

- Not much of a tip, but I am trying to make the 12 weapons completely distinct, each with their own use and purpose, so it's not just a matter of whether you want red or blue bullets. That means I won't be interested in weapons similar to what I already have. Unfortunately, I must keep the existing weapons secret, so this tip is of no use to you. Still, stay away from the really basic ideas - ordinary machine gun, shotgun, flamethrower, etc. If you have a twist on those, you may be the winner, but doing something more out of the ordinary is more likely to win. I really this kind of leaves you shooting in the dark, so to speak, but a guy's gotta have his secrets.

- All weapons have a chance of getting a critical hit, which means they do extra damage and cause a special effect. The special effect that Choco damage causes is Stickiness, which either (I haven't decided yet, based on having removed a damage type) paralyzes the victim for a short while, or slows them down for a somewhat less short while. This may or may not inspire your weapon design. A couple weapons have super high chances of critical hits and very low damage, making them more for inflicting status effects than for doing damage. So you may be interested in making a gun that has a primary purpose of making enemies Sticky rather than hurting them. Or just go for the more traditional raw damage, with a slim chance of Stickiness. Either is acceptable.

- Don't make it so weird that the player wouldn't know when or where to use it, or it's only effective in one extremely unlikely situation... remember, you want the player to be using this thing regularly! It's definitely okay (and good) if the weapon has a specific niche in which it is useful, like handy for slaying a single large foe, or good at clearing out a crowd of little ones.

- Just because it does Choco damage doesn't mean it needs to actually fling chocolate at your enemies. To make this point I have to sadly give away one of my favorite weapons, but the Cookie Chipper fires huge chocolate chip cookies that embed themselves in enemies and buzzsaw them, flinging out chocolate chips to hit other enemies. So, you can see the Choco connection there, but it is in fact mostly flour doing the actual damage if you think about it. So don't be afraid to get crazy with it. A Nougat Nuke would definitely be legitimate Choco damage. A Caramel Cannon would be fine. Anything strongly related to chocolate will do.

- Also, you don't have to make an alliterative name. Some of the existing ones actually aren't, if you can believe that! Somehow I resisted.

- Don't be afraid to make something like what someone else has already posted. There are only so many different ways to fling chocolate around! Your entry may win because your little twist on the idea might be better than what the other person posted, or maybe you gave it a better name. But of course, don't plagiarize - I'll just pick the person you stole it from instead of you!

- That's about all I can think of. Invent a Choco Weapon!

Connor S. 04-08-2008 06:25 PM

Re: Happyponygate Weapon Mini-Contest!

I think its important to remind people about fair trade chocolate, and abut the poor african children picking the cocoa beans neccessary to make these weapons, so here is my idea-

The Fair Trade Flinger!

It Is a weapon that shoots a wave of cocoa beans. The wave gradually gets larger the further out it gets from bouapha, but it does more damage the closer to him it is. so its a question of damage, or area, which makes it useful against many different situations. It has a high critical hit thingy, but does minimal damage. The effect, should it exist, could be two things, depending on which one is easier to implement.

And since we can have more than one entry...

The Easter Bunny Boomer!

It has a slight delay in the time it takes for it to hit, but makes up for it if you can time it right!

Bouapha Points the weapon up at an angle, and fires. A giant easter egg is shot into the air, and, (I know its hard to use depth in a bouapha like game, so it may not be what your looking for, but I decided to include it anyways) it flys over enemies heads for a while. then it lands, and explodes! Chocolate flys everywhere! After that, a bunch of smaller easter eggs start rolling everywhere, and eventually explode as well.

Suggested Time of Use: When there is a large wave of enemies, and there are some pesky ones i the back that like to resurrect other monsters or something, this weapon is useful for penetrating ranks to get to the really bad guys in the back! Otherwise, just fire away!

So whatever suits you!

The Laura Secrusher!

This weapon creates two giant choco-blocks slightly forward, and to the left and right of bouapha, which then crash together! hopefully dealing massive damage. The critical hit rate is low, but the effect would be sticky, as they would be entirely surounded by chocolate...

Suggested Time of use: Mainly good against a single big guy, as it does a lot of damage, but the blocks aren't too far apart, and hence, the range isn't that good. It also gets prety dangerous getting that close, but well worth it.

Molten Chocolate Beam!

It fires a string of really hot and liquid chocolate that sprays out in front of bouapha. The player can hold the fire button down to continuously spray chocolate, even well moving if possible. Ammo depletes at a rate of about one every second. Normal critical hit rate, effect being sticky I guess.

Suggested Time of Use: Definetely good against a large group of small badides, as long as you can move and shoot. The ability to walk and have constant fire ahead of you allows you to virtually walk straight through smaller enemies, of course, ammo isnt unlimited. The other problem is that it does low damage, so using it against a larger enemy isn't the greatest idea. The range is decent though, so it might be possible to snipe a slower enemy from far away.

The BonBon Burrier!

This isnt that realistic of an idea, but its so awsome at the same time!

This weapon has low low ammo- for a good reason. When you press the fire button, bouapha will take a moment charging the weapon up before actually firing, so timing is key or else you will be left vulnerable. Anyways, when he finishes charging, a HUGE ball of chocolate is launched from this gigantic gun, (which by the way, slows bouapha down well hes carrying it) the ball of chocolate is a lot like a roly poly. It rolls until it hits a wall, then bounces of at an angle, unlike a roly poly. after a while, it melts. It has a really high power, so only the toughest enemies will be able to survive it. lesser mortals will be instantly mowed down. For those enemies that DO survive, they may be inflicted by the critical hit, (which is really really low) and become sticky, which is a bonus!

More to come maybe! But thats already 4 or 5 ideas for you to chew on! ... Ok that was bad... but still...

Jamul 04-08-2008 06:40 PM

I must clarify that there are no choices of special effect - Choco damage causes Stickiness, and that's all it does. You can make a weapon that does something else, but that will just be the thing that your weapon does (like a chocolate ice cream gun that freezes enemies), not what it has a chance to do by getting a critical hit. Any time someone is critically hit by Choco damage (player included, by the way!), they get Sticky.

Connor S. 04-08-2008 07:02 PM

Sorry, fixed it. >_>

Blackduck 04-08-2008 08:00 PM

Chocolate Iscream gun: shoots chocolaty waves to your enemies. Splash dmg maybe?

Chocolate Bar Wrapper Launcher: Use pollution against your enemies by shooting compressed chocolate bar wrapper at them!

Fondue gun: A gun that holds chocolate, heats it up and gushes it at your foes!(like a flame launcher)

Slingshot: This could go with tons of things, but for some reason you prefere launching Coco Nuts at you're foes!(Stun maybe?)

More to come... Maybe?

Coolguy 04-08-2008 08:43 PM

Five choco-tastic ideas, in order of favoritude. They're probably too silly to really use, but hey, it's fun to make ideas.

Fudge Flinger
The opposite of the Shotgun. The Fudge Flinger fires a superheated chocolate bullet that inexplicably increases damage with distance! This weapon has a high critical hit chance, since fudge is so sticky. The tactic for a player using a Fudge Flinger is to fire a round of bullets at far-away enemies, run away a bit to reload and gain some distance, and then repeat. An enemy wielding a Fudge Flinger would be a sniper one or a turret type thing, of course.

Wonkatizer 6000
The Wonkatizer fires long-range chocolates that can be controlled by the player after firing. When there's no Wonkatizer bullets existing, the mouse click makes the gun shoot, and later clicks make the bullet re-aim. This lets the player shoot around corners at enemies. It's like that Loonyland 1 badge that lets the player have limited control over bullets. :p Although I bet there's already some sort of seeking weapon in the game, I still wanted to suggest this!

Dark Chocolate Disrupter
Some weapon should use Dark Chocolate!:D (Or white chocolate, if you want to fit the general Happy theme more) My idea is the Dark Chocolate Disrupter- It projects a dark matt- I mean, dark chocolate force field around the user while the mouse button is held down. The shield absorbs 50% of incoming damage. Ammo rapidly goes down as this is used, faster when the shield is damaged. Enemies within the shield are damaged heavily, so the idea is that the player turns on the disrupter and charges at enemies. Maybe movement speed could be increased as well from a sugar rush so that this tactic is more useful! This was inspired by a shield in a game I played once called Future Cop where you played as big mechs, and one of the special weapons was a shield that acted similar to this one.

Tricker Treater 2000
This weapon is entirely based around the amazing name, so I don't really care all that much for its attack. :p This gun fires a semi-slow-moving chocolate ghost bullet that shoots its own very short-range bullets! It obviously has a slow reload rate. The ghost is intangible, so it can pass through enemies (and bullets, too, since the ghost isn't actually a monster), damaging them as it goes. It can't pass through walls.

Tricker Treater 2000, Version 2
Another idea for this weapon name. The gun has a relatively high fire rate (but not as high as a machine gun). With each hit, it uses the powers of the Chocolate Cereal Vampire to steal some health from the monster and give it back to the shooter, so it doubles as a healing weapon. :p

Mapletree 04-08-2008 10:29 PM

Choco Decoy: Low fire rate, but shoots a chocolate decoy that can damage enemies. They will attack the decoy most of the time, but they can still attack you! If you shoot it too far away, it crumbles into the ground and it melts into sticky chocolate mess. Also, if you shoot it against enemies, it still does damage.

Choco-Bar Blaster: Shoots small chocolate bars with high fire rate. Does medium damage, but has a high chance of critical hit/causing sticky effect.

Choco-randomizer 5000: Randomly shoots white or dark chocolate that falls onto the ground. Low damage, but if enemies eat the dark chocolate, they will get damage and they will be inflicted with Sticky status! But if they eat the white chocolate, they will get healed, or they get a sugar rush, which doubles speed and power! But you can eat the chocolates too!

grim3vil 04-09-2008 12:14 AM

choco web gun- it shoots a web of chocolate over your enemy so there all sticky and cant move

supersilver 04-09-2008 12:18 AM

CHOCCO-BEAM: Shoots brown deathbeam. ammo very limited.

Mapletree 04-09-2008 05:25 AM

Caramel Launcher 5000: Launches giant chocolate chunks with a slow fire rate. But these giant chunks are low in power. Why? Because they are 87% caramel! Does always cause Sticky status. And the puddles of caramel lay on the ground for a very long time.

TyTBone 04-09-2008 07:10 AM

Choco-Popper or Candy Caliber or a much better name -

It uses chocolate-filled, color-coated bits of candy for bullets (they resemble M & Ms or Skittles) and fires them in...duh...machine gun style, although they would move slower then real life so you can actually see where they go. The bullets would be various colors, of course...red, green, orange, etc.

EDIT: okay, peeps already suggested machine guns. S'all good. :)

10:51 [TyTBone]: A magical potion that brings to life a bunch of mini Oompa Loompas, who encircle enemies while singing their [odd] songs and scare enemies away with their
weirdness...

The Kiss of Death - a slow moving (think Shroom) but deadly creature that RESEMBLES a Hershey's Kiss, who moves really slow but can snuff out enemies on impact...

Easter Buds - Like the bunnies in SwC, only these are chocolate. They have a pistol barrel inserted into their stomach, and they use they're own flesh (bah, chocolate) for the bullets. Eventually, they "use themselves up", and the front section of the pistol falls to the ground.

Chocopult - chocolate + catapult = chocopult!

http://www.popgadget.net/images/chocolate-VW-beetle.jpg

Androgeos Exeunt 04-09-2008 07:41 AM

Since I'm here...

==========

Weapon Name: Cadblurry

Description: Weapon fires a medium-sized chocolate slug which homes in on the nearest target, doing medium damage. Has a large blast radius on impact which does minor damage to any enemy nearby. Cherry Bomb fire rate.

==========

Weapon Name: Radiochoco / Chocoga

Description: The Radiochoco fires crescent-shaped, short-ranged chocolate projectiles in a radiating fashion away from Bouapha. The damage done by these projectiles is minimal, but they have a limited pierce ability enabling a single projectile to pass through (and damage) several enemies at once. Missile Pack fire rate.

==========

Weapon Name: Mudslasher (thanks, TyTBone) / Schlammer

Description: The Mud Sword generates a sword-like, mud-coloured projectile which extends and swings across Bouapha's front before disintegrating. The damage done by this weapon is beyond comprehension, and anything which survives would probably suffer a critical hit, but it only has an effective range of about 25% of the default screen height (e.g. if the default screen resolution is 800 x 600 pixels, the sword will hit any enemy in front of and no further away than 150 pixels from the centre of Bouapha. The sword's range DOES NOT CHANGE even if the option to switch screen resolutions is available). Fire rate is slightly slower than that of Cherry Bombs.

kacper8000 04-09-2008 07:53 AM

Choco-hot: Molten chocolate. Fires in a laser. Very slow fire rate. Pushes enemies. Large damage.

Choco-cold: Frozen chocolate. Fires frozen chunks of chocolate. Normal fire rate. 1 in 12 chance of knocking an enemy down. Normal Damage.

Chocing: Enemies eat it then choke on it. It takes from 2-5 seconds to cough it up (seconds chosen randomly). Not much damage.

Mr.Onion 04-09-2008 09:40 AM

Choco-Hose: Fires a slow bullet, which explodes when it reaches the target, or collides with something. When it explodes, everything around it becomes sticky, the ground around it acts as mud.

Jamul 04-09-2008 09:57 AM

I've updated the rules with this new rule:

7 - It is possible for there to be multiple winners, for example if I like a weapon but prefer the name of another weapon. I may combine entries in that way, and both winners will get credit.

And I've added this tip:

- Don't be afraid to make something like what someone else has already posted. There are only so many different ways to fling chocolate around! Your entry may win because your little twist on the idea might be better than what the other person posted, or maybe you gave it a better name. But of course, don't plagiarize - I'll just pick the person you stole it from instead of you!

AtkinsSJ 04-09-2008 10:49 AM

Cocoa-Popper
Um, apart from the reference, it would fire little chocolate lumps, which then explode (Pop!), firing tiny little hard bits, and spreading the stickiness over a smallish area. Thus, it doesn't fire crazy-fast, but I was thinking still pretty quickly. Probably, it wouldn't be very accurate, but then it doesn't need to be, because it's more of a 'blast a horde' weapon than a sniper.

Jamul 04-09-2008 11:01 AM

Expanded that wall of text by one more notch I forgot I had thought of in the shower:

8 - Don't use trademarked names in your name. Firing colorful candy-coated chocolates is fine, but using M&M in the name is not going to be a name I can use!

(Note that this is not a reaction to Atkins' post - Even though there is a cereal named Cocoa Pops, a Cocoa-Popper is sufficiently different that I would not fear using it, and it's just a combination of normal words)

varkarrus 04-09-2008 11:30 AM

Midas Touch

A short ranged chocolate finger that does little damage, but is very fast. It always gets a critical, and if it kills, turns the enemy into chocolate (wrapped up in a gold wrapper) which gives you more ammo for various weapons.

PlasmaCannonsRule 04-09-2008 01:18 PM

C4: Lay down a chocolaty explosive by tapping the fire button, and hold it to set them all off.

seamonkey 04-09-2008 03:07 PM

1 Did you notice that most weapon names involve the letters choco?
2 Cherry bombs. cherries that you throw and explode. Nuff said.
3 The MOLTEN MALT!!!!!! This weapon is like a flame thrower but with a twist... This fires molten chocolate. (or hopfully other molten candy because chocolate's been used too much) Anyway It does low damage at medium range, but after your done firing, the candy sinks to the ground and freezes!!! Once monsters step onto this, it's so cold they're feet get stuck to the candy!!! This is good in all situations especially if your low on ammo/life because you can run away without having to fend off hordes of monsters. Good for emergencies. Have you seen the licorice whip?