Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adventures Of Bouapha (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Happyponygate Skill Contest! (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16014)

Jamul 05-15-2008 10:07 AM

Happyponygate Skill Contest!

Yes, the boss contest is still going on, but it's too long. We need another contest at the same time! Feel free to enter both.

Your goal here is to invent a skill that Bouapha can put points into. There are two slots I haven't filled, and room for 8 more skills as well, but I don't really intend to use those slots. Still, if you come up with amazing ideas, I'll put them in anyway! Now, pay attention to what I need for this:

1 - Contest ends June 10th!
2 - Submit as many ideas as you like.
3 - I reserve the right to steal any and all things posted in this thread.
4 - I also reserve the right to use none of them!
5 - One more right, I reserve the right to modify your ideas as much as I want.
6 - If your entry is chosen to fill one of the two slots, you get 50 YB and your name in the credits as a Skill Designer.
7 - I may choose one person's name to go with another's skill. In this case, each person gets 25 YB, and both get credited.
8 - If I choose your skill or name to go in the 8 extra slots, you get credited, but no Yerfbucks. You're really shooting to capture those precious 2 slots!
9 - If you don't read the huge essay below and the sneak peek it links to, you really aren't going to win. Seriously. To make a skill, you really need to know what the skills are like. There's a lot to read, but you'll need the info!

SO... What is a skill?

Click here for the Sneak Peek that covers lots of important info

The skills are broken into four sets. As you may guess, those sets are Choco, Sweet, Snuggle, and Cute. Some of the skills are activated, but yours won't be. It must be a passive skill. As an example, one skill makes all your attacks do 10% more damage. Simple. A constant, passive boost.

But passive doesn't have to be a constant boost. It just can't be directly activated. It can activate for any of a number of reasons - maybe it triggers when your life gets low (none of the existing skills do!), or it is something that happens each time you hit someone, or each time you get hit, or a random chance each time you pick up a coin (also unused, and kind of weird), or each enemy you beat, or on critical hits, or a million other circumstances. Just so long as the player doesn't need to actively choose to turn it on.

The two sets that are each missing a skill are Sweet and Cute. So you can focus there to win the prize, but if you just want to get something in at all, there are 2 more slots possible in each set.

Skills have 5 levels, with a simple numerical change (for example, that skill I mentioned above is actual 2% per level, so it's 10% with all 5 points). Don't make something like "At level 3, it adds boulders flying out of your nose!" - the only change from level to level is the number getting bigger (or smaller).

But don't think you need to make something boring like "+10% to damage". In fact, that is guaranteed not to win, because everything like that has already been covered in my skill sets. A more interesting skill example is "Candy Corn: A chance to fire off 1-5 Candy Corns that do 2 damage every time you hit an enemy. The chance is equal to the damage inflicted." (that's under Sweet, of course). Notice that that is still a passive skill, it just happens on its own. But it's fun and exciting to encounter. Something like that is good!

Don't forget cute and clever thematic names! The skills Hot Chocolate and Sugar Rush already exist, so don't try them.

So, the key points to take home from this seminar are:

1 - Don't forget the four flavors, and what each one is focused on (handy tables in the journal entry contain this information!).

2 - Don't forget what the critical effects for each flavor are. You might want to work with those in some way!

3 - Don't do the simple stuff, like "+10% damage" - I already did! Do something fun and unique.

4 - Your skill has to be passive, not something the player chooses to activate.

5 - Skills have 5 levels with simple numerical differences between them. Express this like "Gives you 2-10% more damage with Sweet weapons" (a nice range easily divisible by 5, you note!).

6 - Skills might boost their own element, or apply to everything.

7 - Make up a clever and fitting name!

varkarrus 05-15-2008 11:00 AM

Re: Happyponygate Skill Contest!

Dark chocolate: This candy is quite bitter, and the only kind of chocolate not used by Ponies. Dark chocolate will cause bullets to repel sometimes.
1st level: 2% chance to repel, Repels if bullet reaches 5 metres.
2nd level: 4% chance to repel. Repels if bullet reaches 7 metres.
And so on.

When they repel, it's not if you get hit, it's if the bullets get close. They just slow down, stop, then go in the other direction. The range shows how close the bullet needs to be in order to activate the repel.

Rich Chocolate: Full of calories
1st level: 1% chance each hit to gain 10$
2nd level: 2% chance each hit to gain 11$
etc...

You can tell you gained money if the bullet bounces off, turns gold, then hits you again. You still take damage. Melee attacks just create a gold orb.

PlasmaCannonsRule 05-15-2008 12:29 PM

...And Cuteness For All (any Metallica fan will get this one): Cute-based attacks gain a wider area of damage.
Level 1: 2% increase.
Level 2: 5% increase.
Level 3: 10% increase
Level 4: 20% increase.
Level 5: 40% increase.

Sweet, Man: Destroying non-monster objects heals damage. I can't come up with the levels until I find out how much life Bouapha has so I can balance it.

Hammer Up! 05-15-2008 01:16 PM

Sugar-Covered Candy:Increases Speed when HP is low.

Level 1:15% Increase
Level 2:25% Increase
Level 3:30% Increase
Level 4:40% Increase
Level 5:50% Increase

Flaming Heart:Increases number of flames that the victim leaves when Heartwarmed.

Level 1:1 Flame.
Level 2:2 Flames.
Level 3:4 Flames.
Level 4:5 Flames.
Level 5:6 Flames.

Cotton Candy:Sometimes makes enemies slower when hit.

Level 1:10% Chance,2 Seconds Duration.
Level 2:15% Chance,3 Seconds Duration.
Level 3:20% Chance,4 Seconds Duration.
Level 4:25% Chance,5 Seconds Duration.
Level 5:30% Chance,6 Seconds Duration.

Jamul 05-15-2008 02:06 PM

Guys, you can express the levels with just "15-50% Increase" or "10-30% chance, 2-6 second duration"... saves a lot of typing and a lot of space!

Coolguy 05-15-2008 03:58 PM

SWEET:

Sticky Fingers
Enemies drop more money per point.

Indiana Jellybeans
Licorice Whip does more damage per point! :p *Insert Indiana Jones theme here*

Trick Or Treat
Yes, I know sweet is mainly offensive, but I like this idea. When enemies are defeated, they have a chance of dropping a bag of candies, which heals the player when picked up! The likelihood of a goodie bag dropping is some percentage increase per point (like 1 or 2 percent more likely per point).

Tooth Ache
Enemies with Tooth Decay recieve (points*5 %) more damage from Sweet attacks.

CUTE:

What's Up, Doc?
Mind controlled cute-type creatures do more damage with more points, or maybe they sometimes drop healing carrots for their owner pal for more points.

Pop Goes The Weasel
Awwwed minions asplode when they die. Explosions are bigger and probably do more damage per level.

Awwwkward
I don't know what this does, but I just wanted to suggest the name. :p

Say, what happens when Bouapha gets ''Awww''ed?

Blackduck 05-15-2008 04:24 PM

Sweet:
Concentrated sweets: your shots have concentrated goodness in them! When you hit and enemy it knocks them back dealing 5-10 extra dmg and stunning them from .50sec-1second.

Living Sweets: You add living sweets to your shots which slowly eat your opponent away for 5-10seconds dealing 2-3dmg a second.

Redbone 05-15-2008 06:47 PM

Chocolate

Easter Egg: Your chocolate bullets will drop easter eggs to the ground that explode when an enemy touches it, damage depending on the level. (1-5 damage)

Chocolate Chip Cookie: Your chocolate bullets will shoot chocolate chips in random directions when it hits something. (2 bullets for each level)

Coolguy 05-15-2008 07:35 PM

You guys know that only Sweet and Cute skills can win prizes, right?

SWEET

Sugar and Spice (or, as an alternative name, Sugar-Man Returns)
The power of sugar rushes helps Bouapha regain his super-powers. Cool-down for Sweet-based super powers shrinks with more points!

CUTE

Searching
Destroyed objects will randomly release killer hamsters that had been hiding within! Bouapha becomes better at finding hidden hamsters as he invests more points.

Fluffy
The user will barely survive attacks that would normally kill him, unless he has (points*2) health or less.

Duck and Cover (Just because Truffle Translator didn't win the weapons contest!)
With the first point invested, Bouapha has a duck that flies around him and shoots some sort of attack (Feathers? Bullets from a gun? Eye lasers? Some sort of projectile) . It's pretty much the same as the standard orbiters/toasties/summon Ptero from other Dr L style games. It takes damage whenever Bouapha does, and when it dies, it doesn't come back for a certain amount of time. As more points are invested, it gets upgraded more (more damage, more abilities, more HP, less reviving time, etc). This could fill up more than one skill slot. :p

Schrodinger's Pets
Dead cute enemies will have a (points) chance of returning from the grave on your side, but with a very small amount of HP! It doesn't work on bosses.

Wabbit Weflexes
Bouapha has a (points)% chance of dodging attacks. At 5, instead of merely dodging the attacks, Bouapha will punch the incoming bullet so that it reflects back at enemies. :p:p

BryanSNK 05-15-2008 08:36 PM

Sweet

Stomach Ache
On a crit hit...there is a 2% chance to inflict a poison that slows the enemy by 50%
Each skill point increases chance to inflict the poison by 2%

Cute

Unfriendly Friendly Fire
1 bullet per skill point that an enemy fires that hits a mind controlled enemy is reflected back to the shooter
Each skill point increases the number of bullets reflected by 1

Sillyman 05-15-2008 09:20 PM

Sweet

Emergency Rush- A sugar rush that activates when you're low on health, speeding you up immensely. Optionally, have it slow everybody else down instead, so it's like your brain is moving faster as well. 5-25% health left to activate, speed boost ranging from 10-50% (or like 1.5 times whatever a normal Sugar Rush is).

Cute

Zawwmbie- 3-15% chance of a defeated enemy temporarily coming back from the dead, invincible, under the effects of Aww. Enemy dies again when you lose control.

regeneratorizer 05-15-2008 10:02 PM

Sweet:

SWEET & SOUR: Enemies with Tooth Decay have a (15-20%, or something) chance of infecting other nearby enemies

CANDY CAIN or CANDY MCCAIN: Just thought I'd suggest these names for a possible biblical or political reference. I'm not clever enough to come up with effects or anything.

Cute:

THUGS & KISSES: Every time you are damaged, there is a (1-5%) chance that a (Insert thug-but-cute creature here, like that weapon-toting buddy bunny from SWC) will spawn under your control

SHOCK AND AWWW: Every (number) seconds when you are surrounded by enemies, you will emit a lightning-like bolt that will strike an enemy(Like the Zap Wand). This has a (percentage) chance to Awww the enemy.

(Can't think of a name): All Awwwed creatures regenerate (random percentage) of their total health every (random number) seconds(Maybe when out-of-battle only)

Just a suggested name:

CONGRESS IS NO PLACE FOR CUTENESS: THE STORY OF HOW MITO BEAN QUIT BIG GOVERNMENT TO PURSUE HIS DREAMS OF STARTING A BI-YEARLY RABBIT CONVENTION TO WIN THE HEARTS AND MINDS OF THE PUBLIC SO THAT THEY WOULD DONATE TO HIS OTHER CAUSE, HELPING SCHOOLCHILDREN LEARN HOW TO READ BACKWARDS BECAUSE MITO'S BROTHER HAS A RARE DISEASE IN WHICH HE READS THINGS BACKWARDS AND HE WAS ALWAYS TEASED FOR IT SO MITO WANTS OTHER KIDS TO BE TOLERANT TO THOSE WITH THAT RARE DISEASE, BUT IT TURNS OUT HIS BROTHER IS THE ONLY ONE WITH IT AND HE IS A GROWN MAN NOW, SO IT'S KIND OF POINTLESS, BUT MITO IS GOING THROUGH A REALLY HARD TIME RIGHT NOW AND NEEDS A GOAL IN ORDER TO KEEP HIS MIND FOCUSED OR ELSE HE MIGHT GO HAYWIRE AND DO SOMETHING REALLY CRAZY IN A DESPERATE ATTEMPT AT GETTING ATTENTION, LIKE RELEASING ALL RABBITS BEING SHOWCASED AT HIS CONVENTION, OR MAYBE MAKING A REALLY LONG SKILL NAME FOR A SKILL CONTEST THAT HIS FRIEND IN CALIFORNIA IS HAVING.

Mapletree 05-15-2008 10:34 PM

SWEET:
Bubblegun:
4-20% chance of firing a bubblegum bullet, which always causes Tooth Decay to the monster that is hit. The bubblegum bullet also is faster than a normal bullet.

Sugar Full: If a enemy has Tooth Decay while at least 1 skill point is put in this skill, there is a 1-5% chance he dies instantly and explodes in a rain of (rotten) teeth that hurts other enemies (lightly).

varkarrus 05-16-2008 05:09 AM

SWEET:

Sugar Rush: Sometimes upon touching an enemy, picks him up and throws him.

CUTE:

Halo Kitty: Cute guns knock enemies back.

AtkinsSJ 05-16-2008 12:40 PM

CUTE
(Not really that serious, but still...)
Longcat is Looooooong:
Whenever you kill an enemy using cute damage, there is a small chance of summoning Loncat. Longcat's length increases with levels, so that level 5 Longcat is 5 times the length of level 1 Longcat.
Longcat is a cat which is long. It, um, does something I haven't thought of yet.
Ooh, maybe it moves around, like a snake from the game Snake, and acts like a wall, blocking enemy attacks. Yeah, that sounds handy. Not sure how this is at all logical though.

varkarrus 05-16-2008 01:28 PM

Thanks for the insperation

CUTE:

Lolcat: This is like polymorph. Upon hitting an enemy with a cute gun, it has a small chance of turning them into a lolcat for a little while. Don't have a good name though. Ooh! Maybe "I haz cheezburger!"

Mr. Party 05-16-2008 02:11 PM

I am making this post on account of .Blue Dwarf.
(He seems to have lost his password.... The Email goes to his dad, who isn't going to be home for awhile and when he does get home, we are leaving for the weekend and BD just didn't want to wait(cause he might forget(He doesn't write things down)))

Anyway, this is by .Blue Dwarf.:

Puppy Eyes:
Damage type: Cute(partially where ever rainbows come from too...)

When your health is getting low(5-15%) Your eyes seem to expand and get sad looking...

The enemies just can't seem to shoot at you AS much, sure they wsill continue firing, but not as often.

With each level they shoot at you 15%less(so at the end, they only shoot 1/4 as much as they normally would)

ALTERNATIVELY:

If that doesn't wwork wwith how the game is, then the enemies bullets do less damage.
(Cause they shoot you in a less painful spot because they don't want to hurt you:))

They hurt you 2-5%(Add onto old percentage) less

For both versions:

When it is activated(5-15% health) There is a slight chance that you may shoot rainbow lasers out of those big eyes.

At first, these do hardly any damage(1/5 whatever a normal rainbow laser does).
With each level, it adds another fifth until it is as powerful as a normal rainbow laser gun.

It has a 2(or 5)% chance of firing on every second, each level it adds another 2(or 5)%
(So in the end, there is only a 10(or 25)% chance it will fire(but it tries to fire every second, so it might be shooting alot)

Totally alternate idea for it:
It just does the rainboww eye thing(bump it up to 5% per level so it ends at twentyfive) and change it's type to snuggle, dump the defense thing though.

Ryuinfinity 05-16-2008 03:00 PM

Cute:

Superemorse: Whenever Boupha kills an enemy that is really cute, he feels remorse, which makes a flood of tears damage all nearby enemies!

Julian 05-17-2008 07:28 AM

Cute:

ONOS! It's a BEAR!

Summons an Uncare Bear on your side, but it's weaker. You can only get this skill after beating the boss.

Licking Post 05-17-2008 06:26 PM

Cute:
Awwsome!
Whenever Bouapha gets a major combo, all monsters within a certain area have a certain probability of being awwed. At higher levels the area becomes larger, the probability of being awwed is greater, or the combo size required to trigger it decreases. Or maybe all three.

Sweet:
Swwweet!
Sweet attacks are super-sweet, so have a higher probability of causing tooth decay. Obviously the probability would increase for higher levels.

Chocolate: (because I feel like it)
Super-sticky fudge
I have several ideas of how this could work. All of them have to do with enhancing the sticky criticals.
1. Choco weapons have a higher probability of criticalling (just like "Swwweet").
2. When choco weapons critical, they have a certain probability of completely immobilizing the monsters, rather than just slowing them.
3. Instead of having a certain probability of immobilizing monsters, choco criticals will immobilize them for part of the time that the monsters are stickied. They would be immobilized for one fifth of the time with 1 point, and all of the time with 5 points.
4. The slowing effect of stickiness is increased. Obviously it would slow them more at higher levels. Perhaps at level five they would be completely immobilized.

I wonder why I went so overboard with the chocolate rather than the cute or sweet.