Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Nuclear Power (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16738)

Crabwarrior 07-24-2008 06:07 PM

Nuclear Power

I was interested in nuclear power plants, and decided to research it, and I ran into this.

varkarrus 07-24-2008 06:14 PM

Re: Nuclear Power

That's a good thing!

You can get a lot of power that way.

CheeseLord 07-24-2008 06:15 PM

That's an interesting take on the subject. Of course, any power has the potential to be harnessed for good or for destruction. Fire, for example, is known to burn things, yet without it we would be unable to get clean water. It's really just a matter of how it's used.

Crabwarrior 07-24-2008 06:38 PM

It would be interesting if they got fusion reactors. using the power of the sun and all...

CheeseLord 07-24-2008 08:22 PM

They're building one now in France. They aren't sure it will work, but if it does, it will be incredibly powerful.

Crabwarrior 07-24-2008 08:40 PM

Really? I thought they had problems with containment. Where did you hear of this?

CheeseLord 07-24-2008 08:48 PM

There's a good article on it here.

seamonkey 07-24-2008 09:01 PM

Of course antimatter which is currently being procured in large amounts is 50 times more powerful than nuclear energy. a single drop could power new york city USA for an entire day. Of course if it touches regular matter it explodes:x

Mr.Onion 07-25-2008 03:39 AM

One, that's the point. Two, where are you getting your anitmatter from? :p It can't be used as a power source because it takes more energy to make than it releases.

Crabwarrior 07-25-2008 06:56 AM

How do they contain antimatter?

Mr.Onion 07-25-2008 06:57 AM

In a vaccuum, with a very powerful magnetic field.

Crabwarrior 07-25-2008 07:18 AM

I knew they would use a magnet, but for some reason I didn't think about containing it in a vacuum.:)

BlastOButter42 07-30-2008 03:30 PM

I did a project on nuclear power a couple years ago for a physics course I took over the summer. It was a debate between people who thought nuclear power was good and people who thought it was bad. At the time I really wasn't sure, since I didn't know very much about the topic, but we did a whole lot of research that thoroughly convinced me that it's a great source of power. Now, if our friends over in Congress could do a little bit of the same (after all, it is their job), maybe we could finally get some new nuclear power plants opened and lessen our dependence on polluting substances like coal.
One thing I remember I figured out is that (not including the cost to build and maintain the plants) we would save about $20 billion dollars a year on fuel costs over coal, I believe. I'll go look some of that old stuff up. I probably have most of it saved on my computer somewhere...

Ubernoob 07-30-2008 09:25 PM

Nuclear Fission plants have a lot of advantages, and one big disadvantage. The waste produced can be highly toxic and highly concentrated. There are ways of disposing of it safely, but in many cases it isn't being done. For example, take some stuff that has a half-life of whatever and encase it inside glass bricks. Make sure there is enough mass in the glass to absorb all the radiation that is going to come out of the waste. Then put the glass bricks somewhere safe like an abandonned mine where they won't get shattered, and therefore where the waste can safely radiate away until it is neutralized.

Coal has many disadvantages, one of them being that the pollution gets spread out all over the place, unless you use scrubbers.

BlastOButter42 07-30-2008 10:49 PM

The web site nei.org has a lot of compelling stuff about the positive aspects of nuclear power. I used it a lot for the project I did. They have a page about waste disposal: http://www.nei.org/keyissues/nuclearwastedisposal/

There's this site in Nevada, called Yucca Mountain, that is a planned storage space for spent nuclear fuel. It's nowhere near where people live, and has undergone a lot of tests to make sure it is secure in the event of all kinds of problems, like natural disasters and terrorist attacks and stuff. There's also a page here that I used that's supposed to relieve a lot of objections to nuclear waste.

8888196 08-04-2008 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crabwarrior (Post 199967)
I knew they would use a magnet, but for some reason I didn't think about containing it in a vacuum.:)

air is mater so you need to contain it in a vacum.

Crabwarrior 08-04-2008 03:47 PM

I know. It just slipped my mind for some reason.