Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Best Halloween Ever 2008! (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17436)

Jamul 10-01-2008 07:37 AM

Best Halloween Ever 2008!

Note: There seems to be some consternation over this concept. Perhaps I can explain it with a simple analogy. In December 1898, Gaston de Chasseloup-Laubat was the fastest driver in the world at 39.2 mph. In 1997, Andy Green became the fastest at 760.3 mph. Gaston was the fastest, Andy is the fastest. Any superlative term implies "up to now" automatically. Things change. In 1898, Gaston would be "the fastest". That is no longer true. Therefore, in 2007, that Halloween was the Best. That will become no longer true on October 31st of this year. Prepare yourself.

IT IS TIME PEOPLE! Time for my favorite holiday of the year, and time to make it better than it's ever been before!

How can we make it the best ever? Well, we're having a contest to achieve that.

1 - To enter, present a surprise to your fellow Hamumians on Oct. 31st, 2008.

2 - I will award you somewhere between 1 and 200 Yerfbucks for your surprise. Do something incredibly amazing, and you can earn even more than 200. Thousands, really, though I don't know what you could possibly do to justify something like that.

3 - The amount awarded for your surprise is entirely at my discretion. It is based on three factors: How much effort I think you put into it, how much fun I think your surprise will bring to the community, and a special bonus on top for doing something really surprising and cool that I think people won't be expecting!

4 - If you have an idea of a surprise you want to do, you may share it with me in PM or email if you're curious how many Yerfbucks I would judge it to be worthy of. That's just a guess, though - you may get far more or less, depending on how your end result turns out. If you don't put in much effort, then no, you won't get much! Again, the final amounts are entirely at my discretion. But if you do a decent job, you'll get very near the stated amount.

5 - No, entering a Halloween Horror world is definitely not a surprise (even if you normally don't!). Any Yerfbucks related to that are entirely separate. Please do an HH world though!

6 - Please keep surprises Halloween-themed, as this is supposed to be The Best Halloween Ever.

7 - Your surprise must be something good. Don't surprise us with one of those pictures that screams at you, or with hacking the website to be covered with profanity.

8 - I'll definitely help you out. If you need me to put something up on the website, or whatever kind of things I might be able to assist with, I am there. I don't have much spare time due to my own surprises (and this job I have), but contact me well in advance and we can discuss what and how much I can do to help you. I can help you work on ideas too - coming up with ideas is my #1 skill!

9 - Could this contest be any more vague? Possibly, so count your blessings. The whole idea is to surprise your fellow Hamumians with a treat (tricks accepted too, if they're not bad), so I can't tell you what to do. Dig deep into your creative brains and smoosh them out! Do something that nobody else would think of!

10 - Late entries NOT accepted! Get it done before Oct 31st, so you can wheel it out in time! It's the best HALLOWEEN ever, not All Saint's Day.

11 - However you go about delivering your surprise, send me an email on Oct 31st to make sure I note that you did it and can dish out the yerfbucks.

Questions? Surely you must have them. Post away! Just don't give away your surprise publicly!

Kerma 10-01-2008 07:55 AM

Re: Best Halloween Ever 2008!

I sent a question VIA PM due to the fact that it gives away my surprise completely.

varkarrus 10-01-2008 07:55 AM

PLEASE don't give us pumpkin pi avatars again!

Jamul 10-01-2008 08:06 AM

I didn't do that, it was somebody's surprise. I forgot who!

Hammer Up! 10-01-2008 09:28 AM

It can be more than 1 surprise?

Jamul 10-01-2008 09:30 AM

Nope, make one amazing amazement. It should be something you really put your effort into, so if people can do multiples, they'll have lots of pointless dumb things with no effort behind them. Pick your best, and make it as amazing as possible!

supersilver 10-01-2008 09:43 AM

yay yay and yay some more! my idea got accepted! i wont tell you what it is but i know a lot of people will be looking forward to it! :D

Redbone 10-01-2008 03:36 PM

When I first glanced at the site, I already knew what to do.

Baconstrips 10-01-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamul (Post 210413)
I didn't do that, it was somebody's surprise. I forgot who!

I think it was LickingPost's idea, but don't quote me on that. (for those of you who don't know, LickingPost is in collage and is not currently using that forum)

P.S. I thought it was funny.

TyTBone 10-01-2008 05:33 PM

Can we team up with people to work on something together?

Jamul 10-01-2008 06:35 PM

Yes, you can work with anyone you want, and just make sure in the email you say who all is involved. The YB will divided evenly.

SpaceManiac 10-01-2008 06:36 PM

Assuming there is a trophy, would both parties involved recieve it?

Jamul 10-01-2008 06:43 PM

Well, nobody knows what trophies do or don't do, they're an incredible mystery to all. But they're always quite fair.

Gamer99 10-02-2008 04:50 AM

Is Rick Roll acceptable?8)

SpiderPumpkin 10-02-2008 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer99 (Post 210598)
Is Rick Roll acceptable?8)

Quote:

Your surprise must be something good. Don't surprise us with one of those pictures that screams at you, or with hacking the website to be covered with profanity.
I suppose Rick Astley could be compared with a screamer nowadays. Now, you might argue that some people like "Never Gonne Give You Up", but either way, you wouldn't have made that yourself, and the point of this is of course to come up with/create something original.

On a different note, I'm assuming it's allowed to use Hamumu character designs (i.e. the ideas (intellectual property), not in-game gfx) in a BHE surprise on the Hamumu Forum without it being deleted for copyright infringement or something? (Not exactly sure what I'll do yet, but that question might matter)

Julian 10-02-2008 05:33 AM

That would be perfectly fine, it would be a fangame!

SpiderPumpkin 10-02-2008 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 210600)
That would be perfectly fine, it would be a fangame!

Jamul forbade someone to use the name "Hamumu" in a fangame once, so you can never be sure; and in the end, it's his decision whether or not people should be allowed to use stuff in fan creations, and to what extent (I don't think Jamul has made a clear statement on this before; correct me if I'm wrong). There's no rule where you consider something a fangame and are automatically legally allowed to use someone's intellectual property.

Jamul 10-02-2008 06:22 AM

You can use my characters and ideas for this stuff, provided you only post it here for BHE. You need to use your own artwork, though, as that's what makes it your interpretation.

minmay 10-02-2008 07:48 AM

I need a fairly large version of the Yerfdog, on a white background. Without the Halloween wings and fangs. I could try to use the smaller version, but I don't think it would look very good for the use I have in mind. (And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is!)

AtkinsSJ 10-02-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minmay (Post 210606)
I need a fairly large version of the Yerfdog, on a white background. Without the Halloween wings and fangs. I could try to use the smaller version, but I don't think it would look very good for the use I have in mind. (And no, I'm not going to tell you what it is!)

Yerfdog isn't actually that hard to draw. You can probably do it yourself.