Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   pointless rules (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17505)

death 10-07-2008 06:54 PM

pointless rules

deleted!

Jamul 10-07-2008 07:05 PM

Re: pointless rules

The comments are full of profanity. We don't allow profanity. That would be the opposite of pointless, don't you think?

regeneratorizer 10-07-2008 07:08 PM

Every single rule has an incredibly legitimate reason.

This site is family friendly, we want people to feel like they can come here without being bombarded by the constant stream of cursing, sexual content, ect. that the general media seems to be so fond of. This is one reason no Youtube links are allowed, because by clicking on those links(That you found on this site,) you are being exposed to things that you may not want yourself or your kids to be exposed to.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Jamul! Bah!

death 10-07-2008 07:26 PM

Deleted!

drgamer 10-07-2008 07:47 PM

Well, there are options to link to a youtube video without comments and without links to other videos, but we at hamumu use tubecodes

Jamul 10-07-2008 07:49 PM

I have no idea what rule I broke, but Hamumu is a safe place. If it links to bad stuff, it's not a safe place.

TyTBone 10-07-2008 07:55 PM

Again and again, if you don't like Hamumu, create your own website with bad stuff!!! This is the web; people can (mostly) do as they like, and Jamul likes his site (mostly) the way it is. So meh!

blackmyth 10-07-2008 07:58 PM

As long as we're on rules, I really think "no hotlinking" should be added to the list. It would be useful for somewhat people such as myself (I know now, obviously), who don't know about hotlink protection for whatever reason. Some people might argue that it should be common sense (you shouldn't use other people's images without permission), but so should being respectful and whatnot, and that's in the rules.

AtkinsSJ 10-08-2008 02:39 PM

Also, please don't edit everything out of your posts after people have responded to them. It's confusing to random onlookers.

Ufo-Man 10-08-2008 06:59 PM

also, a bunch of people use copyrighted music in their movies on youtube.

death 10-08-2008 09:18 PM

oh noes! something freely distributed and not paid for using something copyrighted! whatever shall we do? flash games do it all the time.

Coolguy 10-08-2008 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death (Post 211486)
oh noes! something freely distributed and not paid for using something copyrighted! whatever shall we do? flash games do it all the time.

You shouldn't say you agree with stuff like that when two people were just banned for illegal file sharing!

SpiderPumpkin 10-09-2008 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by death (Post 211486)
something freely distributed and not paid for using something copyrighted!

Actually, since Youtube videos are free, that makes it even worse if what they're using originally wasn't available for free :P Besides, copyright laws apply to practically everything, also to free stuff. (Unless you're not sharing it with anyone, in which case nobody could really sue you for anything, though it'd probably still be illegal by some weird laws)

EDIT: BTW, "flash games do it all the time" isn't very good reasoning. Just because other people do it, that doesn't mean it's legal, and if they are really using copyrighted stuff without permission and the copyright owner wants to sue them, they can rightfully do so.

Jamul 10-09-2008 06:56 AM

Yes, it's illegal, and don't advocate it.

TyTBone 10-09-2008 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamul (Post 211352)
I have no idea what rule I broke, but Hamumu is a safe place. If it links to bad stuff, it's not a safe place.

Now, are we talking about DIRECT links? Because let's face it, there's PLENTY of bad or unHamumu appropriate stuff to find on Tubecodes and Wikipedia, but of course you'd have to do your own search; I'm assuming linking directly to, say, the Gummi Bear dance in Tubecodes would be acceptable. (Responsibility only goes so far.)

SpiderPumpkin 10-09-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyTBone (Post 211524)
Now, are we talking about DIRECT links? Because let's face it, there's PLENTY of bad or unHamumu appropriate stuff to find on Tubecodes and Wikipedia, but of course you'd have to do your own search; I'm assuming linking directly to, say, the Gummi Bear dance in Tubecodes would be acceptable. (Responsibility only goes so far.)

That issue has been discussed before, somewhat:

http://www.hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16124

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamul
I can't control what people do outside of this site, but I can sure stop you linking directly to big bold profanity from here.

Ufo-Man 10-09-2008 04:34 PM

so if you want to show a youtube video you made, dont link directly to it, do what i do. link to your own profile which where you disable comments and make sure you are not using copywrited songs.

TyTBone 10-09-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ufo-Man (Post 211577)
so if you want to show a youtube video you made, dont link directly to it, do what i do. link to your own profile which where you disable comments and make sure you are not using copywrited songs.

Or Tubecodes, although I think SOME YouTube vids aren't on Tubecodes...

varkarrus 10-11-2008 02:59 PM

Ooh! A discussion! Even though I agree with Jamul, I'll join Death's side, because nobody else will. Just like I can argue that the world is flat even when I know it's round.

Anyways, I don't think anyone here is offended by the uncensored version of Happyponyland. You also see it all the time in the media, on people's T-shirts, family friendly cartoons (such as Simpsons, Spongebob, and the Tellitubbies)

I learned it when I was 4, and I never got in trouble by saying it unless I was actually trying to offend someone.

SpiderPumpkin 10-11-2008 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by varkarrus (Post 211785)
family friendly cartoons (such as Simpsons, Spongebob, and the Tellitubbies)

The Simpsons isn't exactly a family friendly cartoon, I am very certain it was never mentioned on the Teletubbies and I don't think it was on Spongebob either. That word has always been a big no-no on children's television (though they did sneak it into some cartoons at some point, e.g. Rocko's Modern Life). Anyway, since it's apparently considered non-family friendly in the U.S., and Jamul is trying to keep this forum family friendly, it is his right and duty to censor it. (Though I still think the fact that it's regarded offensive by English speakers is rather silly; it's fine to use in German, even on children's TV, and I don't even see how it could offend anyone if the knowledge that it's an "offensive word" wasn't there. Just my opinion, though.)