Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Copyright? (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19410)

Crabwarrior 04-02-2009 06:54 AM

Copyright?

What counts as pirating music or copyright infringement and such? Is it ok -- if I have some software for creating music -- to simply create whatever music I want? For example, suppose I wanted to make some music for a level in Dr.L. If I found a copy of the sheet music for some song, when would I be allowed to create my own copy of the song, if ever?

Androgeos Exeunt 04-02-2009 06:58 AM

Re: Copyright?

It must be sufficiently different from the original in order to not be copyright infringement. In other words, it should not sound exactly like the original. That, at least, is my take on it.

SpiderPumpkin 04-02-2009 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Androgeos Exeunt (Post 244376)
It must be sufficiently different from the original in order to not be copyright infringement. In other words, it should not sound exactly like the original. That, at least, is my take on it.

That is correct, normally. However, if the copyright on the original song has expired (this is true for most, if not all, classical songs, for example), or it was released into the public domain for some other reason, it wouldn't be copyright infringement to copy it exactly. In other words: Inform yourself about the copyright status of the song you were going to copy.

cyberclone42 04-02-2009 04:41 PM

Does that mean you can change one note of a song and it's not CI?

Jamul 04-02-2009 04:42 PM

No, that's a derivative work. You have to create your own original work.

SpiderPumpkin 04-02-2009 04:52 PM

That reminds me of something I've been wondering for some time. If I compose a song and it sounds similar to another song, but I didn't know about said song when I composed mine so the similarites are coincidental, would that be copyright infringement? And if so, what ways do I have to find out if there already is a song that happens to sound similar to my composition?

Jamul 04-02-2009 05:07 PM

I don't think you have a way to find out until someone sues you. Then if you can somehow prove in court that you made it up without hearing theirs, you win. If not, you lose. It happens.

death 04-02-2009 10:09 PM

that reminds me, you know the band Coldplay? one of their new songs copies the melody of a song by Kraftwerk. (I think it's spelled that way)

anyway... that has happened to me so many times with some of my game ideas. I have an idea in my head, and then, a game comes out that has something like it (once it was exact) or I find out about a series that has been out... but I didn't know about it... It's so annoying! I'm sure you've run into this, jamul.

also, I have a few songs I have made, I hope I can complete an SWC world so I can use them.

Androgeos Exeunt 04-02-2009 11:14 PM

I find copyright too complicated and annoying, so I stick to whatever songs are included by default in Supreme. ;)

...it's weird, though. I always thought that Brent Christian did songs solely for Hamumu.