Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   Total Mayhem (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Journal Entry: Jun 12, 2009 (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19832)

TyTBone 06-13-2009 12:43 PM

Journal Entry: Jun 12, 2009

http://hamumu.com/journal.php?entry=1244847412

I figured that a discussion should take place here rather than amongst the comments, as triple posting in there seems to be frowned upon. Here are some of my comments from already in there.

Quote:

One thing I must admit is that the logo is a little bit of a turn-off. It's cute [and I do enjoy the design], but [even though you aren't trying to just be "kid"-y] I do feel that if that's one of the first things teenagers/tweenagers see when they first come here [maybe you are trying for an even younger demographic, though], THEY might find it too kiddish. For me, it's mainly the word "clubhouse". Consider changing it to "Hangout" or "Fortress" or "Planet Hamumu" or just make up a word people will remember - "Cribbex". ; )
Quote:

I just realized I contradicted myself in my latter post. I get the feeling you aren't trying to be "stereotypically" kid-y in the feel and look, but you want to attract kids.

Either way, change is inevitable, but it can lead to "security" issues with members who seriously rely on this site for ... um ... emotional stability? [Maybe]

One thing I'm curious about is this statement: "
Just making what I want and saying "Here it is!" doesn't pull people in." Does that mean Jamul wants to focus even MORE on Flash games than he had previously planned? I sure hope that he can keep his trademark 2.5 style, because, to me, they represent the "QUALITY", and [while this statement might seem rude] I don't want Hamumu to just become another Flash games site. Flash games are nice, but they don't have that ... what's the word ... IMMERSION that I like with SwC, LL2, etc. Costume Party [which feels like a Flash game to me] is of course really cool and I like the concept, but it doesn't have the immersion I [and Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw] like, due to a lack of storyline imo.

Anyways, discuss, please ...

Reecer6 06-13-2009 07:28 PM

Re: Journal Entry: Jun 12, 2009

CP has a storyline! You are a kid who, during Halloween, wandered into a mansion with a huge backyard and a rooftop arctic and so. Then the door locked, so the kid gets costume powers and battles evil screamers to get out.

Pumpkineater 06-13-2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reecer6 (Post 254014)
CP has a storyline! You are a kid who, during Halloween, wandered into a mansion with a huge backyard and a rooftop arctic and so. Then the door locked, so the kid gets costume powers and battles evil screamers to get out.

That doesn't fit with those levels with the sun background :p

Blackduck 06-13-2009 11:09 PM

There's no way Jamul will start to only make flash games because Flash games are so easily taken without the creator's consent meaning that he won't make nearly as much money off of it. There's also the risk of people taking his work and posting it on other sites too, then other people would get money off of his creation.

AtkinsSJ 06-14-2009 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackduck (Post 254035)
There's no way Jamul will start to only make flash games because Flash games are so easily taken without the creator's consent meaning that he won't make nearly as much money off of it. There's also the risk of people taking his work and posting it on other sites too, then other people would get money off of his creation.

No more easily than any other form of computer game. I should think the same way that CP checks a database to see if you own it, will apply. It would be very difficult, if even possible, to 'steal' it - even if people distributed it to other sites, you'd still have to buy it from Hamumu to be able to play.

Manga Chic 06-14-2009 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyTBone (Post 253984)
One thing I'm curious about is this statement: "Just making what I want and saying "Here it is!" doesn't pull people in." Does that mean Jamul wants to focus even MORE on Flash games than he had previously planned? I sure hope that he can keep his trademark 2.5 style, because, to me, they represent the "QUALITY", and [while this statement might seem rude] I don't want Hamumu to just become another Flash games site. Flash games are nice, but they don't have that ... what's the word ... IMMERSION that I like with SwC, LL2, etc. Costume Party [which feels like a Flash game to me] is of course really cool and I like the concept, but it doesn't have the immersion I [and Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw] like, due to a lack of storyline imo.

Amen, my fellow Hamumu friend. I fell in love with all this because of the originality, and how it wasn't like anything else in the game world at the time *still isn't*. As for the "not pulling people in" part, it pulls me in pretty well.
Though, I have nothing against "clubhouse", though truthfully kiddish to an extent.
Plus, Yerfdog will be wagging his tail. The Chic is satisfied.

TyTBone 06-14-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manga Chic (Post 254070)
Amen, my fellow Hamumu friend.

Thanks. :)

Quote:

As for the "not pulling people in" part, it pulls me in pretty well.
As I already mentioned [about myself], certain games pull me in more than others. Also again, for future games, I would like Jamul to keep the art style of LL2 [just in 16-bit now since he has said no more 256] and the free-roam-ability/gameplay aspects of the Kid Mysic, Loonyland, Spooky Castle, ETC. [of course] EDIT: Cheers to puffazoid for sort of expressing my view here. And Wesley here. And various other people.

My fear is that Flash/Actionscript is not sophisticated enough to allow for that style of movement and gameplay options.

[And I just want to clarify that I do NOT think that Hamumu revolves around me, no matter how I may write here. ;) I just like getting my opinions out there, again and again ... and again.]

Here's something sort of unrelated to the Journal entry, but something I'd like information/opinions on:

Rather than having the complete [so to speak] future be Flash, do you think it might be feasible for Jamul to develop a Steam-like application for all his games, to help with anti-piracy? People would have to register their copy on the app [I keep thinking Hamumu Pipeworks as a name, but that's only because I think of pipes when I think of Steam, lol], and then they can still play offline on that machine.

Another idea: I do not know the legal ramifications of this [Hamumu enslavement to Valve or whatnot], but I DO recall seeing an indie section on Steam's games. Maybe Jamul could start offering some there.

Ninja of Frozen Milk 06-14-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TyTBone (Post 254099)
I DO recall seeing an indie section on Steam's games. Maybe Jamul could start offering some there.

I agree, hows that for marketing

DON'T NAME IT HAMUMU CLUBHOUSE! THAT SOUNDS LIKE ITS AIMED FOR FIVE YEAR OLD KIDS!

TyTBone 06-14-2009 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja of Frozen Milk (Post 254140)
DON'T NAME IT HAMUMU CLUBHOUSE! THAT SOUNDS LIKE ITS AIMED FOR FIVE YEAR OLD KIDS!

Now, has everyone been conspiring to specifically say "5-year-olds", or is it just an extreme coincidence?! ;) Anyways, yes, y'all already know me on that...

Kerma 06-14-2009 11:47 PM

Hamumu clubhose? who took the #1 site of my teenagerhood and turned it into a candy coated bouncy house? mext we are going to see "club penmumu" where you speak in a over-protected chat and throw things at eachother. /rant

Androgeos Exeunt 06-15-2009 12:00 AM

Re: What don't you like about Hamumu?

Hangout does not sound very good either, chaucer, because it sounds as though the site was aimed for those teens who are failing in their grades. Not the kind of impression anybody wants, I assure you.

I personally prefer leaving it as Hamumu Software, because that can be associated with any age group.

As for the layout, I have no issues with it, but as chaucer said, it can be quite empty, especially on larger monitors with higher resolutions.

WackieWatty 06-15-2009 03:39 AM

I'm going to be referencing my Journal comment, so I suppose I'd better post it:
Quote:

I've noticed that a lot of people are complaining about the name. Although I agree that it does sound rather childish, I don't really have a problem with it. Most of the newer members coming in are younger children (maybe not 5 year olds, but certainly 9-12.) I get the impression that people would be embarrassed about the new name, but why does it really matter? It's only a name. I admit that the whole of Hamumu is quite 'childish', and I accept that. No problems raised apart from when the 'children' take things too far. =]
Now, the only real problem I have, at all, is that I fear that this new 'change' may be a step in the wrong direction. Obviously this is Mike's company, and he can do what he wants and he probably knows his target market better than I do, and who he is supplying his games to. Still, I felt that the previous site layout was pretty much perfect. Okay, so it may have been slightly disorganised in places, but that just made code hunting all the more fun, to be perfectly hoenst with you. It made the whole thing seem more 'family-run', rather than a corporate business.

In the latest change, however, I felt that things became almost too organised. It all feels slightly... businessy and technical, if you know what I mean. You probably don't, so I'll try and rephrase. It's all very wordy and set out in a way that makes it less inviting, in my opinion.

My fear, therefore, is that this new change that is occuring will suddenly aim just at kids. I know that Mike said that that wasn't the idea, but I think we're going to be seeing things that are targetting the younger peopel much more. Okay, so I am a young person, but not that young.

As I've already touched upon, I don't know who most of Mike's customers are. However, in terms of the forum and what is happening with it, yes, there have always been a lot of people aged 9-12, but the way things are going nowadays, most of hte newer members don't hang around too long or don't really fit in. What this means is that there are less of them long-term, and what we're left with are the older members (in terms of time here, not age), although obviously they are mostly not in that age range any more, with the lower end really being 13-16.

Quite ironic, I suppose. How the forum has quite a teenage fanbase. Still, I think that's the case. Please argue if you think I'm wrong.

Hammer Up! 06-15-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WackieWatty (Post 254186)
I'm going to be referencing my Journal comment, so I suppose I'd better post it:

Now, the only real problem I have, at all, is that I fear that this new 'change' may be a step in the wrong direction. Obviously this is Mike's company, and he can do what he wants and he probably knows his target market better than I do, and who he is supplying his games to. Still, I felt that the previous site layout was pretty much perfect. Okay, so it may have been slightly disorganised in places, but that just made code hunting all the more fun, to be perfectly hoenst with you. It made the whole thing seem more 'family-run', rather than a corporate business.

In the latest change, however, I felt that things became almost too organised. It all feels slightly... businessy and technical, if you know what I mean. You probably don't, so I'll try and rephrase. It's all very wordy and set out in a way that makes it less inviting, in my opinion.

My fear, therefore, is that this new change that is occuring will suddenly aim just at kids. I know that Mike said that that wasn't the idea, but I think we're going to be seeing things that are targetting the younger peopel much more. Okay, so I am a young person, but not that young.

As I've already touched upon, I don't know who most of Mike's customers are. However, in terms of the forum and what is happening with it, yes, there have always been a lot of people aged 9-12, but the way things are going nowadays, most of hte newer members don't hang around too long or don't really fit in. What this means is that there are less of them long-term, and what we're left with are the older members (in terms of time here, not age), although obviously they are mostly not in that age range any more, with the lower end really being 13-16.

Quite ironic, I suppose. How the forum has quite a teenage fanbase. Still, I think that's the case. Please argue if you think I'm wrong.

Kind of what i tought(But with less words).But i'm not a old member yet.

Megadog 06-15-2009 12:33 PM

Quote:

Just realized, your older games would need a patch so they no longer say 'Hamumu software' at the start.
Did anyone even read this, it's a lot of work (Kinda)

AtkinsSJ 06-15-2009 12:45 PM

Hamumu is dumb. (People seem to have forgotten this.)
'Hamumu Clubhouse' is dumb.

It just works, OK? I've never really thought of Hamumu as 'cool', and probably never will be. Cool is overrated. Dumb for the win!

NeedBrains 06-15-2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja of Frozen Milk (Post 254125)
Uh... Something about the new site. I think that clubhouse sounds kinda kiddy. Not to say that the site isn't aimed towards kids. Its just that clubhouse sounds aimed toward, like, 5 year olds.

Agreed.

Family-friendly is one thing, but Clubhouse is ridiculous.

SpaceManiac 06-15-2009 02:59 PM

As Jamul once said in the Ludum Dare IRC, dumb does not equal Dumb.

TyTBone 06-15-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceManiac (Post 254249)
As Jamul once said in the Ludum Dare IRC, dumb does not equal Dumb.

Agreed. ;)

Kerma 06-17-2009 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerma (Post 254177)
Hamumu clubhose? who took the #1 site of my teenagerhood and turned it into a candy coated bouncy house? mext we are going to see "club penmumu" where you speak in a over-protected chat and throw things at eachother. /rant

It looks like my dream came true :3