Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Lucid Dreaming (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21873)

PlasmaCannonsRule 06-28-2010 09:55 PM

Lucid Dreaming

Have you ever "woken up" in a dream... without actually waking up? In other words, have you ever been in the middle of a dream when your mind wakes up and realizes that it's dreaming but your body doesn't. If you have, you know that it's really cool. You can do anything and everything you ever wanted, manipulating every one of your senses at a whim. Or maybe you've had a spiritual experience during a dream, where you felt like you received a message from God, felt a certain oneness with the universe, or saw scenes from a past life?

Some people claim that lucid dreaming is your mind wandering into a different spiritual dimension. Others claim it is simply a controlled firing of neutrons during sleep. Either way, it's a very cool experience. Have you ever wondered, however, if you could have these lucid dreams any time you wanted? Well, you can. It's called lucidology, and it's a topic Moontrousers and i have recently became very intrigued with. I found this website, which is a compilation of pretty much everything a casual dreamer would want to know about lucid dreaming, along with a friendly forum much like ours except dedicated to lucidology instead of Dumb Games(TM):

http://www.ld4all.com/guide.html

This site is 100% free to use, although they do sell a few instructional books and films, all the basic knowledge you need to lucid dream is available for free on the website. The books and films are just for people who want more in-depth scientific info on the subject. I know this may look like an ad, but I'm simply very excited about the topic. There are tons of reasons why:

1. I'm a bit of an insomniac. Insomnia, for those who don't know, is difficulty falling asleep or entering REM sleep. Some basic techniques for rapidly falling asleep are listed, and the WILD technique specializes in quickly falling straight from full conciousness into REM sleep.

2. A lot of religious experiences occur in partially lucid dreams. For atheists this probably doesn't mean a lot, but it does have meaning to some agnostics and most people of any faith.

3. It is a good place to imagine. A lot of great works of art, whether they be paintings, poetry, or music, were actually written inside a dream, sometimes a lucid dream.

4. If you get good at the RC method or the MILD method, you can go from a nightmare to a lucid dream, allowing you to conquer your fears, either physically dominating them or reconcile yourself with them using the Power of Love. And it don't take money, fame, or a credit card to ride that train.

5. It's fun! Flying, shapeshifting, slaying dragons and demons, traveling the universe, pulling pranks on teachers and bosses, and communicating with your soul are all possible in a lucid dream. I have personally tried shapeshifting in one of the two lucid dreams I've had, and it does actually feel like you are in a different body.

So, I have not yet recently mastered any of these methods. Moontrousers got a hold of them pretty quickly, but he has the ability to quickly calm his mind and phase out that I don't. I intend to try and try until I succeed with WILD, and once I get back into a sleep schedule (summer break has thrown mine completely off) I'll definitely try WBTB.

If you're wondering what all those weird terms are, here's a basic description (you could also look on the site linked to earlier)

MILD- Mnemonic Induced Lucid Dream. Training one's subconcious to wake itself up in a dream.

WILD- Wake Induced Lucid Dream. Purposely putting oneself in sleep paralysis to go directly to REM without ever losing conciousness.

WBTB- Wake Back To Bed. Waking up early to interrupt one's sleep schedule, staying up for around an hour, and then going back to bed and using a form of MILD. Generally found to be the most effective method if you can make time for it.

RC- Reality Check. Training one's subconciousness during the day to check for things that are consistent in the real world but may not be in a dream world. Attempting to puncture one's palm with one's finger, attempting to telepathically lift objects, checking digital clocks for foreign symbols, and flipping light switches are common checks.

So, as I mentioned earlier, I have not mastered any of these methods, although I've tried WILD multiple times. I learned some new techniques for it, so hopefully those will work tonight. Anyhow, feel free to discuss anything and everything about lucid dreaming in this thread.

Pumpkineater 06-29-2010 02:55 AM

Re: Lucid Dreaming

I have heared of lucid dreaming a while ago, but didn't really get into it a lot. However, I am definitelly going to try it this summer. Thanks for bringing it up.

happystickman 06-29-2010 05:30 AM

I have tried for about a month, but I was able to do it only once. It was quite fun.

Hammer Up! 06-29-2010 07:28 AM

I usually have pre-lucid dreams, but I never had lucid dreams. I'll try doing this.

Blackduck 06-29-2010 08:46 AM

Today I learned that I've been having "Pre-lucide" dreams all my life. Although for me, it's not really "Oh man guys, I'm flying and solving crime all day and night!" it's more reflecting upon my life playing it out as though I would have made different choices and such, which is always insightful.

PlasmaCannonsRule 06-29-2010 10:54 AM

So, last night I tried WILD. The technique listed here would have worked, and my legs were actually paralyzed when I failed, but I got "DOA" by Bloodrock stuck in my head. That song has a nightmare-inducing organ riff in it. I'm going to try WILD again tonight after getting something much more relaxing stuck in my head. Let me tell you, sleep paralysis is a very strange feeling, and I can see how people used to tie demons and aliens into waking sleep paralysis.

moltanem2000 06-29-2010 11:15 AM

The most I've ever experienced lucid dreaming was as a small child when I'd be able to rip through the pre-made events of the dream to yell for my mom(my) when something bad happened, and waking myself up. Nothing of the sort in recent years though since I don't dream that much anymore, let alone have nightmares. I remember reading about this a while back though, and being all "Woah that'd just be so awesome" so I may very well try it this summer... I've always wanted to walk on clouds, this might be my chance :P .

happystickman 06-29-2010 11:19 AM

I might try WILD tonight. Sounds interesting, last time I did it I used MILD, and it took a long while to get ti to happen. WILD seems more consistent. My friend did it a few times by looking intently at something until he drifted to sleep, like a picture of a person. It allowed him to stay focused enough to not go unconscious. I tried it, but It didn't work for me.

Pumpkineater 06-29-2010 02:24 PM

I am going to try WILD tonight. Good luck to anyone else who does so, let's hope for the best :p

PlasmaCannonsRule 06-29-2010 04:10 PM

I'm going to try WILD tonight too. I read once that it's much easier to do WILD after midnight. In my experience, it's worked better that way, too: I never got anywhere with WILD at 10:00, but I got my legs completely paralyzed last night at 1:30.

Also, Moltanem, as said on the site linked, everyone dreams. Not everyone remembers them, however.

Also, for anyone trying MILD, this thread on the LD forums looks like it may be handy: http://www.ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5253

death 06-29-2010 05:04 PM

I can't lucid dream. I've tried, but my mind just gets pulled into the dream. It's really annoying.

chaucer 06-29-2010 05:46 PM

I've tried lucid dreaming a few times, and succeeded a few times. I had some good experiences, one of hopping around from cloud to cloud, the other of jumping from the roof of my house and flying to the center of the galaxy, where I traveled through a black hole, which, interestingly, awoke me. But I also had some bad experiences. Once, while trying to have a WILD, during sleep paralysis, I experienced hypnogogic hallucinations, which are false mentally-induced stimulations of any or all of the senses as the mind and body begin to dream. During this time, I heard voices standing right next to me which scared me back to full consciousness. Another time, during a dream, I was attempting to do a reality check and made the mistake of looking into a mirror, which can be very disturbing during a dream. This is probably due to the mind not being awake enough to reproduce an exact reflection, and thus produces images which may be blurred or disturbing, as was my case: I didn't have a head, but instead a formless blob of skin atop my neck. But, for the few bad things, there were many good things, and I recommend trying this to anyone willing. Just avoid reflective surfaces!

happystickman 06-29-2010 06:10 PM

Good thing it took the mirror out of my room! For some reason 90% of my dreams begin in my room, either waking up, getting up from my computer chair, or walking out of it.

I need to get outside more.

PlasmaCannonsRule 06-29-2010 07:31 PM

I've had hypnogogic hallucinations before, although not while trying to WILD. Generally they take the form of someone yelling in my ear.

EDIT: About to go to bed. Here's my checklist for tonight:

1. Use WILD.
2. Rub hands together while calming myself down, per suggestion on the forum.
3. Spin around and fall down to "stabilize" the dream, again per suggestion on the ld4all forum.
4. Take the Lucid Pill, a technique normally practiced by lucid dreamers to enhance lucid dreams.
5. Transport to a fantasy universe using the door trick (opening a door in a lucid dream while telling yourself what's beyond the door. Works with mirrors too, although only look use it after you are lucid to avoid what Chaucer described earlier from happening.) to enter a fantasy realm and engage in an epic battle against demons and the undead.

I'll come back tomorrow and tell everyone how well it worked.

Pumpkineater 06-30-2010 04:25 AM

I tried WILD last night. The experience was pretty bad, although I am going to try again tonight. I went into a dream where I was not lucid, and managed to get lucid during it. But even then, I couldn't control all my dream, just my actions. So I ended up fighting something invincible, which was pretty annoying. I ended up cursing it and force-waking up. But that waking up was a fake wake up, and while I was at my bed trying to get up and go on the computer, that invincible monster came again just to attack me. After some more false-waking ups with the same thing happening, my mother made me have a real wake up, because she wanted me to set up the wii for my sister and cousin to play. So I got rid of her, telling her that my sister COULD DO THAT HERSELF, and went back to sleep, non-lucid, on stupid short dreams followed by waking up and then sleeping again to a different dream. And finally, on 2:00 PM, I couldn't sleep anymore, so here I am now posting this. Last night was a total failure, and the one thing I can tell for sure, is that it was not epic.

happystickman 06-30-2010 05:13 AM

I stayed up too late reading MS Paint Adventures, so I was incredibly tired and decided to jut go to sleep. I need to try again tonight.

PlasmaCannonsRule 06-30-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkineater (Post 301347)
I tried WILD last night. The experience was pretty bad, although I am going to try again tonight. I went into a dream where I was not lucid, and managed to get lucid during it. But even then, I couldn't control all my dream, just my actions. So I ended up fighting something invincible, which was pretty annoying. I ended up cursing it and force-waking up. But that waking up was a fake wake up, and while I was at my bed trying to get up and go on the computer, that invincible monster came again just to attack me. After some more false-waking ups with the same thing happening, my mother made me have a real wake up, because she wanted me to set up the wii for my sister and cousin to play. So I got rid of her, telling her that my sister COULD DO THAT HERSELF, and went back to sleep, non-lucid, on stupid short dreams followed by waking up and then sleeping again to a different dream. And finally, on 2:00 PM, I couldn't sleep anymore, so here I am now posting this. Last night was a total failure, and the one thing I can tell for sure, is that it was not epic.

That's actually a semi-lucid dream. And you had better luck than I did. I was close; my legs were asleep and my hands were going numb when suddenly my body spasmed and jerked myself fully awake. I tried again and my dog, who sleeps on a pillow beside my head, kicked me in the face and I gave up.

I did, however, have better dream recall than normal. I remembered going to my aunt's house and finding a box labeled "Genesis Memorabilia". I opened it up and found one of Phil Collins' cymbals inside. My aunt let me take it home and it ended up being the best sounding cymbal I heard heard in my life. I then went to school the next day and began bragging about obtaining one of Phil Collins' cymbals. Then I woke up, mildly disappointed that I was still stuck with my cheap Sabian starter cymbals.

Ubernoob 06-30-2010 01:29 PM

I have had lots of experieces in the past with lucid dreaming, including ones where I have dream powers etc. They can be a lot of fun. But nowadays I am routinely achieving more of a semi-lucid state, where I seem to be essentially living a parrallel life in another plane of existence. Recall of all the details of this other life are inconsistent and often confused, but there are definitely main themes in lots of dreams which continue night after night. I am frequently in a school setting, even though the last time I was in school was 1996.

The dream techniques I learned came from Eckankar, which deals with the spiritual aspects of dreaming.

happystickman 06-30-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ubernoob (Post 301416)
The dream techniques I learned came from Eckankar, which deals with the spiritual aspects of dreaming.

Isn't that a cult? :shock:

PlasmaCannonsRule 06-30-2010 05:30 PM

So, anyone have to-do lists for their lucid dreams? Mine is this pretty generic list (for now):

1. Fly
2. Participate in an epic fantasy battle
3. Shapeshift
4. Attend the Imaginations Through the Looking Glass concert.
5. Play stuff on my guitar and drums that I couldn't play IRL.
6. Go back in time and shoot Hitler before America becomes involved in WWII, and then go forward in time to 2010.
7. Use the door trick to enter Mario Kart Wii as Mario.