Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Tips on long plane trips. (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22081)

John Smith 08-06-2010 04:26 PM

Tips on long plane trips.

Not looking forward to the 24 hour flight to Turkey.
Any tips on how to survive?

Pewskeepski 08-06-2010 04:33 PM

Re: Tips on log plane trips.

Maybe bring something like a PSP or Nitendo DS.

EDIT: Log plane trip (Its made of wood) :p

Julian 08-06-2010 04:36 PM

Well, I'd suggest not bringing anything hot or that could start a fire, seeing as it's a plane made out of a log... Oh wait, it was a typo? :o

Anyway, bring music and video games and books. And sleep.

John Smith 08-06-2010 04:45 PM

Re: Tips on long plane trips.

Yes it was a typo.
Trips on long plane trips.
But a plane made out of a log would be pretty cool too......unless a fire broke out.
Maybe ill bring one of these things that puts out fires. (Cant remember the name of it, fire.....fire....e...something...fire and thing something that starts with e.

Wesley 08-06-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Smith (Post 305846)
Yes it was a typo.
Trips on long plane trips.
But a plane made out of a log would be pretty cool too......unless a fire broke out.
Maybe ill bring one of these things that puts out fires. (Cant remember the name of it, fire.....fire....e...something...fire and thing something that starts with e.

Fire Extinguisher?

Anyway, airlines might not allow handheld gaming devices on the plane, as it might interfere with the plane itself. Bring it anyway, but be sure to ask if you can use it first. Other then that... Bring books for reading, perhaps a pillow for sleeping, and maybe some money, as there could be an in-flight movie where you'd have to pay for headphones, or something.

John Smith 08-06-2010 05:10 PM

Sooo?
Whats the best way to sleep on a plane cause I cant.

Wesley 08-06-2010 06:01 PM

Well... How do you normally get to sleep? There's no real trick to doing it anywhere else. Just try to relax, and if you're tired, you'll fall asleep.

John Smith 08-06-2010 06:21 PM

Sounds good.
Though im pretty sure on most planes you only get 3 inches of space (possibly over-exagerated). Maybe ill try sleeping pills.

PlasmaCannonsRule 08-06-2010 07:40 PM

There's the 61-point relaxation method, but you have to be pretty focused to use it. If you Google it you'll find a guide pretty quickly. It's generally used for lucid dreaming, but it works for getting yourself to sleep normally as well.

Julian 08-07-2010 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesley (Post 305849)
Anyway, airlines might not allow handheld gaming devices on the plane, as it might interfere with the plane itself.

The only problem is the pilot will be annoyed if you're broadcasting anything over CDMA or probably GSM frequencies, etc because he'll pick it up (as data, not as actual voice) on the radio. A gaming console generally won't broadcast anything, and if it does I'm pretty sure it'll be required to have an airplane mode, if not there's something wrong with the FCC :p

Blackduck 08-07-2010 01:26 AM

I know the DS can broadcast/send information wirelessly, and the PSP can probably also do the same. Although I never hear anything about this, so I'd assume it won't interfere with the plane's systems.

Pumpkineater 08-07-2010 01:42 AM

I was going to say Pictochat, but Julian just showed it is probably not a good idea, since I have no idea what frequences the DS broadcasts.

Edit: And if you have a portable blu ray player, you could watch some TV series, like the ones they give in the magazines.

darkguyhades 08-07-2010 08:45 AM

AFAIK, planes only don't let you use wireless devices during takeoff and landing, depending on the airliner. You should be fine taking a DS, you just won't able to use for the first 20 minutes or so. I also advise not sleeping the day before, if you can, you should sleep through most of the flight. It's also good to bring a book in case the DS runs out of batteries or you can't use it.

Gigacat 08-07-2010 07:54 PM

Hmm, i say get a book and some puzzles or somthing, like Sudoku or a rubiks cube. If your going Singapore Airlines, start playing pokemon. Go for a walk in the ailes every 30 minutes or so. Go to the toilet lots. Dont watch to much TV, especially when your eating. Oh yeah, if your watching TV, dont watch a movie cause the sound of the plane engines will drown out the sound and you wont understand a thing. Some airplanes have things where you can learn languages, do them and learn some of the languages of the places your going. Hope that helps.

Pumpkineater 08-08-2010 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigacat (Post 306005)
Hmm, i say get a book and some puzzles or somthing, like Sudoku or a rubiks cube. If your going Singapore Airlines, start playing pokemon. Go for a walk in the ailes every 30 minutes or so. Go to the toilet lots. Dont watch to much TV, especially when your eating. Oh yeah, if your watching TV, dont watch a movie cause the sound of the plane engines will drown out the sound and you wont understand a thing. Some airplanes have things where you can learn languages, do them and learn some of the languages of the places your going. Hope that helps.

You cannot learn a language in 24 hours. Maybe some words, but the spelling will be horrible and you will forget them. Learning a language takes years. And about the rubik's cube, YES! Get one. It is an incredibly fun toy, and if you learn how to solve it you can show off. Seriously, just do it.

Megadog 08-08-2010 12:09 PM

Just use in flight entertainment (If it has some), and try and sleep. If you can, get a window seat. you can sleep easier there plus it gives you the entertainment of watching the world under your plane.