Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   BHE Surprise (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23366)

.Blue Dwarf. 10-31-2011 11:33 PM

BHE Surprise

After all my talk about my BHE being broken it's finally... Sort of fixed...
Anyway, I recently decided to teach myself to use DarkBASICpro. So far so good I'd say, I started this making THIS game on the 27th, though I did use numerous bits of code from my previous test-run programs that I made when I was trying to figure out what stuff did.
(I've been slowly figuring it out over the past 2 months or so)

Anyway, this is what I've got so far. We'll call it a Beta:
http://wombat.platymuus.com/dl/bhe2011_bluedwarf.zip

Notes:
Instructions at the bottom of the play window for now(not much there currently)
Only one level, no way to win (you can get 1500 score though)
No replay. If you hit y at the end if you died then you'll just go back to the game over screen.
If you want, you can edit the map file. It's located in the images. Just open up paint and go. The pumpkins are always at ground level, they are the orange dots on the map(pipette up that exact color, it's the red value that makes it work) The wall bits need any color with the red value being 0, and the green value is elevation.

Pewskeepski 11-01-2011 03:10 PM

Re: BHE Surprise

That is awesome. I can't wait for next year's update :)

.Blue Dwarf. 11-01-2011 03:51 PM

Haha, thanks for the support. Though I'll probably finish and rerelease this before next year, and do something new then(Not necessarily a game either, whatever is currently interesting to me at that point :D).

Right now I'm working on jumping pumpkins so they can follow you up stairs and such. Terrifying! (and a better map making system)

Megadog 11-01-2011 07:30 PM

Mine just freezes up when I start a world...

.Blue Dwarf. 11-01-2011 07:53 PM

Oh man, that's no good!
Any further description on that issue might help so I can know what's wrong. Also if you tried editing the map, it might mess up.

What should happen is:
Title Screen
Pointless Screen
Level # Screen
---From this point until the game actually starts it could take a bit, lots of stuff being done in making the map---
'loading map' screen for a bit, then a blue screen with the map in the top right tends to flash on for a fraction of a second.
And then the game starts. A bit sluggish on my computer(not sure about others), and the starting position just begs to point out the fact that the camera can pop right through walls.

Megadog 11-01-2011 08:11 PM

It dies around Loading map

It may just be taking a while though, and dying because I switch to something else

.Blue Dwarf. 11-01-2011 08:28 PM

Well, I've never produced any issues like that. Not sure what's happening there.(if I die in the game, then it sometimes liked to crash when trying to replay instead of just going to the game over screen again(which is a bug either way))

If I can figure out what's wrong, I'll fix it. Or maybe it will fix itself, I plan on changing the way the map generates(to let me set how tall the platform is, as well as how elevated it is) so that might do it.
I believe I also read on the TGC site that these programs don't like to run on non-Windows OSes. So that might be the issue too.

Megadog 11-01-2011 10:23 PM

Don't worry, fix'd, it was just a waiting problem.

That was fun, but very short. Also, I fell off the world.

.Blue Dwarf. 11-01-2011 11:20 PM

Did you manage to leap over the wall(pretty sure you can make it from the 'staircase') or was it a glitch?

Megadog 11-01-2011 11:39 PM

Leap. :P

REACTOR 01-19-2012 01:04 AM

Wow this game is awsome!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The graphics are great as well,but there is something you
have to secure and fix in your game,I was jumping over
the steps and I jumped over the wall(at the limit of the level)
an I kept on falling,.......But other than that it is great.;)

Megadog 01-19-2012 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadog (Post 328202)
Don't worry, fix'd, it was just a waiting problem.

That was fun, but very short. Also, I fell off the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. (Post 328209)
Did you manage to leap over the wall(pretty sure you can make it from the 'staircase') or was it a glitch?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadog (Post 328211)
Leap. :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by REACTOR (Post 330100)
Wow this game is awsome!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
The graphics are great as well,but there is something you
have to secure and fix in your game,I was jumping over
the steps and I jumped over the wall(at the limit of the level)
an I kept on falling,.......But other than that it is great.;)

Already mentioned, and huge bump.

REACTOR 09-04-2013 08:03 PM

I would say you should push on with this awsome project. It would be such a pity to see it go to the trash!

---------------
(Thinking of Jamul's sake) If you finish this game I think you could arrange with Jamul for an agreement to put it on the Games section of the site. Who knows, it might attract a lot of attention clearly because it's a 3D Hamumu game. If you like, I could help ( But clearly not now, as I'm helping GESYes with his world ). But maybe somewhere in October.

.Blue Dwarf. 09-05-2013 12:33 AM

I have a more updated version of this laying around somewhere.

Maybe I will revisit it. Though if I do that, I'll probably just completely remake it... Mostly to relearn how to do stuff.

calthax 09-08-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. (Post 328160)
After all my talk about my BHE being broken it's finally... Sort of fixed...
Anyway, I recently decided to teach myself to use DarkBASICpro. So far so good I'd say, I started this making THIS game on the 27th, though I did use numerous bits of code from my previous test-run programs that I made when I was trying to figure out what stuff did.
(I've been slowly figuring it out over the past 2 months or so)

Anyway, this is what I've got so far. We'll call it a Beta:
http://wombat.platymuus.com/dl/bhe2011_bluedwarf.zip

Notes:
Instructions at the bottom of the play window for now(not much there currently)
Only one level, no way to win (you can get 1500 score though)
No replay. If you hit y at the end if you died then you'll just go back to the game over screen.
If you want, you can edit the map file. It's located in the images. Just open up paint and go. The pumpkins are always at ground level, they are the orange dots on the map(pipette up that exact color, it's the red value that makes it work) The wall bits need any color with the red value being 0, and the green value is elevation.

Link is dead.

.Blue Dwarf. 09-08-2013 11:22 AM

That's SpaceManiac's issue.

As I recall it's a pretty low-end and unoptimised game. It ran like garbage on my laptop (which I used to create it) and still, later that year when I got a decent PC it didn't run great (though it was much faster).

If you'd like, maybe SpaceManiac still has it somewhere and can put it on Wombat or I can see if I still have a copy and toss it up on Mediafire, or send it by email. Whatever's easiest.

SpaceManiac 09-08-2013 06:44 PM

I'd taken it down since I didn't think anyone would need it. I did keep a copy though and it's now up at the same link (for a while anyways).

.Blue Dwarf. 09-08-2013 08:58 PM

Well, some of the few active members do quite like digging around in the depths of the forums to find old stuff. This wasn't that deep, but it happens.