Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   Total Mayhem (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Electronic Companies (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23563)

calthax 02-22-2012 04:22 PM

Electronic Companies
 
Favorite Electronic Companies?

Pewskeepski 02-22-2012 06:51 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
It's kinda hard to choose since almost all those companies each make different types of electronics. For instance, I like Dell computers and stuff made by Sony.

sonicchaos1993 02-23-2012 06:39 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
It's biased to have Intel on the poll but not their competitor AMD.

Since you can't pick more than one option on the poll, I might as well put my choices here.

Favorite PC Manufacturer: China
HP, Lenovo, Acer... they're all basically the same thing. With the exception of Asus, who makes their own barebones, the actual base for the computer is made by one of a couple companies overseas in China (Compal and MSI are the two I remember off the top of my head), and the components themselves are made by various companies such as Intel, AMD, nVidia, etc.

Favorite CPU Manufacturer: AMD
Yes, Intel's chips are faster. But faster != better. My Gateway NV55S05u, with its AMD A8-3500 processor, cost $480 and can run a number of heavy-duty games at moderate settings without lagging. To get the same with an Intel chip, you'd have to drop at least $700 as you need to get a dedicated graphics card. AMD's made the better balanced system that's perfect for consumer customers. Their desktop lines are starting to reach striking distance of Intel as well--the Bulldozer architecture (The FX series) could beat out comparable Intel i7s in some areas, and an overclocked FX processor set the world record for fastest CPU speed. Also, if you're someone who's concerned about business ethics, Intel used bribes and coercion to keep AMD's Opteron processor out of servers (and AMD out of computers in general) for years until they were caught in 2006.

Favorite GPU Manufacturer: AMD
This one was hard to pick. I'd be perfectly fine with either an AMD or nVidia card in a PC--both have excellent performance and you can't go wrong with either one. For me, though, AMD wins by a small margin since you can crossfire most of their cards with an AMD APU (one of their processors with the good integrated graphics) and most of them are cheaper and more energy-efficient than their comparable nVidia competitors. AMD's Catayst driver is also very easy to use compared to nVidia's. Also, gotta love an underdog. ATI would have gone under if AMD hadn't bought it.


In case you can't tell, I like AMD. They were nearly run out of business by Intel, took a huge gamble by purchasing ATI, and had it pay off big as they used ATI's GPU technology to create value-priced, balanced APU's. Only about 1% of computer users actually need Intel's blazing-fast chips. But we all need good graphics performance, and AMD delivers that in spades.

Wackodude 02-24-2012 07:30 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Windows is not there. I voted for Windows by way of "other."

sonicchaos1993 02-24-2012 08:03 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wackodude (Post 331296)
Windows is not there. I voted for Windows by way of "other."

Windows is not a company. It is an operating system developed my Microsoft, and as it is software is not technically an "electronic," hence why Microsoft is not included on the poll. Apple is included as it manufactures it's own laptops and PCs, not because of the Apple operating system.

Megadog 02-24-2012 09:36 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
SC, I'm typing on a Microsoft brand-made Keyboard/Mouse set, your argument is invalid.

sonicchaos1993 02-24-2012 09:40 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadog (Post 331309)
SC, I'm typing on a Microsoft brand-made Keyboard/Mouse set, your argument is invalid.

Depends on if you consider a mouse/keyboard to be an electronic.

Megadog 02-25-2012 12:24 AM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
They most certainly are electronics. However, there's enough missing from the list to sink a battleship, so it doesn't really matter.

Wackodude 02-25-2012 10:06 AM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadog (Post 331316)
They most certainly are electronics. However, there's enough missing from the list to sink a battleship, so it doesn't really matter.

I agree with the above. Anyone for an Alien laptop?
Point well taken, Sonicchaos. I get it now.

calthax 03-19-2012 06:55 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Some others

Westinghouse
Logitech
AT&T
Verizon
Motorolla
Nokia

SpaceManiac 03-19-2012 07:50 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
I'm pretty sure AT&T and Verizon are cellular carriers, not actual electronic companies in that they don't manufacture devices.

Pumpkineater 03-20-2012 04:53 AM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 (Post 331310)
Depends on if you consider a mouse/keyboard to be an electronic.

Take apart a keyboard and in most if not all cases you will find a microchip in.

calthax 05-10-2012 03:44 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calthax (Post 332180)
Some others

Westinghouse
Logitech
AT&T
Verizon
Motorolla
Nokia

Some more

VCR
Sprint
Emachines

Gigacat 05-12-2012 01:26 AM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
VCR.

wut

cyberclone42 05-12-2012 08:19 AM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigacat (Post 334065)
VCR.

wut

^
..

RandomCommander 05-12-2012 11:14 AM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigacat (Post 334065)
VCR.

wut

agreed

calthax 06-16-2012 11:49 AM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calthax (Post 334032)
Some more

VCR
Sprint
Emachines

I mean T-Mobile

sonicchaos1993 06-16-2012 06:41 PM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Emachines is owned by Acer.

Pumpkineater 06-21-2012 11:41 AM

Re: Electronic Companies
 
Other: Mosanto


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.