Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Windows 7 All-in-one? (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24320)

Boneheads 01-04-2014 12:51 PM

Windows 7 All-in-one?

okay, so my sister wants to get an all-in-one computer for her bedroom, except one thing: she wants windows 7. So does anybody know of a good all-in-one with windows 7? More specifications:
-4 GB RAM or more
-500 GB HDD or more
-Monitor size doesn't really matter a whole lot, but don't go too small
-Preferably less than $500

REACTOR 01-04-2014 06:22 PM

Re: Windows 7 All-in-one?

Are you NUTS!! Putting windows 7 on that machine. It'll degrade you machine to nothing but slowness. The thing is, Windows 7 is just not worth it, it's expensive and you only get trial versions of programs. I would suggest Linux. Like Debian, Mint, Crunchbang. Or a beginner linux such as Knoppix. Linux is free open source software and gives you more then just windows/

Julian 01-04-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REACTOR (Post 344040)
Putting windows 7 on that machine. It'll degrade you machine to nothing but slowness.

No, those specs are perfectly fine to run Windows 7.

Quote:

The thing is, Windows 7 is just not worth it, it's expensive
Uh... what? When you purchase it with a PC, it's exactly as expensive as Windows 3.1, Windows 8, or any version of Linux purchased with a PC.

Quote:

you only get trial versions of programs.
Where did you get this idea? A trial version is a limited version of paid software. You can, therefore, buy the software and have the full version. Trial software exists on Linux too, but not as much. The reason for this is that the paid versions don't either. There are a lot of programs that you just can't get on Linux, and so (for the majority of people) it just makes sense to use Windows, since everything they want is on it.

REACTOR 01-04-2014 08:38 PM

Well, I admit that maybe I'm wrong on a few things. But I personally go for Linux. The good thing about it is that you have Wine, which can run almost every Windows program. Can't be that. But if you want to stick with Windows, then that's fine by me.

Megadog 01-04-2014 09:49 PM

From what I've heard, Windows 8.1 is pretty good. You may as well get that if you can.

Julian 01-05-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadog (Post 344045)
From what I've heard, Windows 8.1 is pretty good. You may as well get that if you can.

Yeah, Windows 8.1 fixes a lot of the issues people had with Windows 8. It doesn't do away with the UI changes that people irrationally hate, but it does smooth the transition a little bit better.

Boneheads 01-05-2014 03:58 PM

I don't know, I guess I'll try to convince her to get Windows 8. (8.1, whatever)

darkguyhades 01-07-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 (Post 344050)
I don't know, I guess I'll try to convince her to get Windows 8. (8.1, whatever)

I recently upgraded from 7 to 8.1, and I personally prefer 7 by a wide margin. It's probably a matter of personal preference, but I don't find any of the new features useful, and software support for 8 is pretty dodgy compared to 7.

Julian 01-08-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkguyhades (Post 344053)
software support for 8 is pretty dodgy compared to 7.

If you ever have any problems running software on Windows 8 that worked on Windows 7, the likely culprit is the .NET runtime. You need to install the Windows 7 version of it.

OurEminentDoomsayer 03-15-2014 12:49 AM

Windows 7 isn't a slow operating system by any means. Any computer made in the past four years can run it with no issues. While Linux is capable of running on extremely low spec hardware, it's safe to assume you won't be seriously using a single core CPU and less than two gigabytes of memory ever again.

While I can certainly see the benefits of free software to users and developers alike, I don't think that the fruits of free software have yet reached a point where they obsolete most commercial software, particularly in regards to compatibility and ease of access. For more industry specific software such as digital photo manipulation software and digital audio workstations, there are often numerous omitted features when comparing free software to paid-for products. Most professional creatives just use Windows or OSX now, due to lack of developer support for Linux workstations.

This isn't to say that Linux is doomed, however. It's clearly on an upwards trend of user and developer adoption, especially with the initial customer dissatisfaction with Windows 8, and an honest push by the Valve Corporation to bring Linux-based OSes mainstream video games. For me, Linux is a joy to boot up as an occasional novelty, but still holds no appeal beyond its technical merits. At my core, I am a casual multimedia consumer, and not a system administrator.