Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   Mafia & Forum Games (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Mathematical Mafia (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24373)

hyperme 03-12-2014 12:36 PM

Mathematical Mafia

It's a normal day in Number Land, until a Mafia appears. Unfortunately, no one saw their faces.

Rules and Stuff:

During day, you may talk to find the people chosen to be Mafia. You may vote for a person you think is bad, like this;

VOTE: EXAMPLEMAN

Take away a vote like this;

UNVOTE: EXAMPLEMAN

The first person to have a majority of votes each day will lynched.

Talking at night is forbidden. Vote changes after a majority is reached will be ignored.

At the end of a day, the person with the most votes will be lynched.

Don't lurk!

Additionally, there is a Magic Number! It's very special. At night, everyone can PM me to add or subtract one from the Magic Number.

Players:

Blue Dwarf
sonicchaos1993
seamonkey
Megadog
Hammer Up!
N64Lord
texasjoshua
SpaceManiac

Roles PMs are going out now. If you have questions about your role, ask them before using any powers, as they are non-refundable.

hyperme 03-12-2014 12:48 PM

Re: Mathematical Mafia

All role PMs should be out. If you didn't get one and should of, PM me.

Remember to confirm your role!

It is Night One. People with powers, send in your choices, and everybody make a Magic Number choice. If you don't make a choice, I'll assume you want add (or subtract) zero from the Magic Number.

The Magic Number is currently 3.

hyperme 03-14-2014 02:03 PM

Nobody died on the Night of not having a deadline.

Players:

Blue Dwarf
sonicchaos1993
seamonkey
Megadog
Hammer Up!
N64Lord
texasjoshua
SpaceManiac

The Magic Number is currently 6.

It is Day One. With Eight alive, it is Five to lynch. Deadline is in 120 hours. We're using the lynch most votes at deadline type deadline..

.Blue Dwarf. 03-14-2014 06:41 PM

I don't have too much in the way of useful info just yet.

Anyone else turn up anything?

sonicchaos1993 03-14-2014 06:59 PM

My first assumption as to what the Magic Number did was that it would determine how many votes to lynch - seeing as that the votes to lynch is now 5 and the number is 6, though, that's obviously false (and now that I think about it, could potentially be overpowered once people determined that). My only other guess would be that it's used to grant power roles/abilities or something similar, though I suppose there's no way to confirm that until we've gotten some more information.

On an unrelated note, it's good to be back playing mafia again :)

Megadog 03-14-2014 08:02 PM

I can confirm the magic number affects roles. My role toggles between two depending on if it's odd or even. I would assume, considering that you can add or subtract, that there are also roles that activate only if the number is higher or lower than a certain value as well.

Apart from that, my role failed last night, so I suspect there is a role blocker around.

texasjoshua 03-14-2014 08:16 PM

I can confirm Megadogs power role assumption, I can only activate my role under certain circumstances of the number. In other news have nothing else to really add. Other than I wonder if we are gonna have to do derivatives or if Pi is at all important.

seamonkey 03-14-2014 08:59 PM

The next most obvious question is what do we want the number to be?

N64 Lord 03-14-2014 09:08 PM

Derivatives and integrals do not need to be part of this. Mentioning them causes as much pain as playing the sound that dial up internet made.

I got nothing from this night. Megadog's information about magic number is very interesting.

sonicchaos1993 03-14-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjoshua (Post 344331)
I can confirm Megadogs power role assumption, I can only activate my role under certain circumstances of the number. In other news have nothing else to really add. Other than I wonder if we are gonna have to do derivatives or if Pi is at all important.

Firstly, since TJ reminded me of it: Happy Pi day!

In all seriousness, though, since it seems like there are indeed roles based on the number, would it be possible that the number might also affect mafia powers (which could potentially explain a no-kill last night)? I'd personally doubt it since town basically wins if that's the case and they determine it, but I guess anythings possible.

On that note, something else interesting: as hyperme mentions in the start-of-day post, there was no deadline for the previous night, and no kill happened. Which means that, unless day was started before all PMs were received to prevent the game from dragging, the mafia ether could not kill the first night, purposely did not kill, or there was a successful protection. The third situation is probably the most likely, but the other two are certainly viable.

SpaceManiac 03-14-2014 09:20 PM

It would probably make the most sense that the number has no global effect but instead applies to different roles in different ways. With any sanity actually performing math does not affect the game.

texasjoshua 03-15-2014 06:38 AM

See Sonic, the tricky part is that everyone effects the number so either you need to get everyone to agree on what to do, and the mafia probably wont(secretly of course) and some people will probably attempt to out trickery the mafias attempt an manipulating the number. So even if we find out who all is powered or affected by the number it will be difficult to get everyone to agree as to how to set the number and stick with the plan.

The number is fairly tricky.

sonicchaos1993 03-15-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasjoshua (Post 344339)
See Sonic, the tricky part is that everyone effects the number so either you need to get everyone to agree on what to do, and the mafia probably wont(secretly of course) and some people will probably attempt to out trickery the mafias attempt an manipulating the number. So even if we find out who all is powered or affected by the number it will be difficult to get everyone to agree as to how to set the number and stick with the plan.

The number is fairly tricky.

Agreed - I think the only way we can guarantee to influence the number in the certain way is if we want it to increase or decrease, as the mafia cannot stop that since we outnumber them.

hyperme 03-15-2014 12:42 PM

General Notice:

The Magic Number changes after Night ends but before Day begins. Think of it as changing at Dawn.

texasjoshua 03-16-2014 06:12 PM

Vote: Hammer Up!

SpaceManiac 03-16-2014 06:56 PM

Ah yes, the classic "random voting shenanigans" tactic. While my first instinct was deadline-based lyncher shenanigans, that isn't for another several days. I suppose you could have some deeper purpose but with a three-word vote post that isn't really clear. Could be a tactic to get Hammer Up to say something, which is reasonable. Uhhhh... alright, I'm out of stuff.

Hammer Up! 03-16-2014 07:43 PM

I'd say something if I had anything to say. Except for I'm here.

texasjoshua 03-16-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer Up! (Post 344352)
I'd say something if I had anything to say. Except for I'm here.

Ok, that's what I wanted :P

Unvote: Hammer Up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 (Post 344342)
Agreed - I think the only way we can guarantee to influence the number in the certain way is if we want it to increase or decrease, as the mafia cannot stop that since we outnumber them.

Oh and in response to that, yup. As a whole we can decide to increase or decrease but its nigh impossible to get it to be a specific number.

hyperme 03-19-2014 02:10 PM

As Night falls, the town decides not to murder anyone.

Players:

Blue Dwarf
sonicchaos1993
seamonkey
Megadog
Hammer Up!
N64Lord
texasjoshua
SpaceManiac

The Magic Number is currently 6.

It is Night 2. Deadline is 48 hours. Send in those PMs.

hyperme 03-21-2014 01:56 PM

Once again, no one has died!

Players:

Blue Dwarf
sonicchaos1993
seamonkey
Megadog
Hammer Up!
N64Lord
texasjoshua
SpaceManiac

The Magic Number is currently -3.

It is Day Two. With Eight alive, it is Five to lynch. Deadline is in 120 hours.