Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Help with Multiple Monitors on an all-in-one (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24515)

Boneheads 07-07-2014 08:13 PM

Help with Multiple Monitors on an all-in-one

Copied from what I sent to SM's skype hue hue:
http://i.imgur.com/JahGaMv.png
If it matters, the 2nd monitor is a Dell Monitor. I can post the serial number or whatever for the computer and/or the 2nd monitor if needed.

Thanks in advance. :P

Gigacat 07-08-2014 01:31 AM

Re: Help with Multiple Monitors on an all-in-one

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Are you sure its definitely plugged in?

On a more serious note, if the second monitor came with a different tower, check if that monitor needs drivers. (This is EXTREMLY rare as VGA monitors are pretty universal.) Wouldnt hurt to update your computers drivers as well if need be.

Boneheads 07-08-2014 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigacat (Post 345489)
if the second monitor came with a different tower, check if that monitor needs drivers.

... How do I check? :p

Gigacat 07-08-2014 06:49 PM

Find the model of the monitor, google if it needs drivers.

Megadog 07-08-2014 07:17 PM

While it seems obvious, check the other port works, by plugging your current monitor in there. If it doesn't work anymore, you have a tower problem.

OurEminentDoomsayer 07-08-2014 09:27 PM

Are the monitors plugging in to different display adapters?

Boneheads 07-10-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadog (Post 345509)
tower

It's an all-in-one. Visually, it's a thick monitor with minimal ports. (Power, USB, headphone/mic, VGA, SD card, etc.)

darkguyhades 07-10-2014 10:28 PM

Try downloading the vga drivers here, maybe? If that doesn't work, try plugging in a different monitor or use a different cable to see if that makes a difference. If the drivers do nothing and a different monitor with different cables doesn't work, it might be a problem with the computer itself.

Boneheads 07-11-2014 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkguyhades (Post 345564)
Try downloading the vga drivers here, maybe? If that doesn't work, try plugging in a different monitor or use a different cable to see if that makes a difference. If the drivers do nothing and a different monitor with different cables doesn't work, it might be a problem with the computer itself.

This computer has Windows 8.1, which isn't available on that link. :p I have already tested out 2 different monitors.

The first monitor is a very old box monitor, dell brand, here's a picture of a monitor that looks very similar to it:

It came with an old Windows XP Dell tower, we got it around 2001/2002. The VGA cable is automatically connected to this monitor, so I can't use a different cable. The monitor works fine with an eMachines tower (Windows Vista).

The second monitor is a Dell Monitor that came with a Dell-Vostro computer (Windows 7) that we got 3-4 years ago. The VGA cable we use for this monitor is a basic Radio Shack one (original one broke) that works fine with the dell-vostro tower. Here's a picture of it:

HumanTurkey 08-02-2014 08:54 AM

Have you checked the Screen Resolution control panel? You can reach it by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting Screen Resolution. Assuming your monitor is plugged into the computer already, click on the grey box labeled "2" if you see it. You may have to click the "Detect" button to the right of the monitor's icon for the monitor to be recognized.

In the Multiple Displays drop-down menu, select Extend desktop to this display. Click Apply, and if you see anything on the second monitor, click Keep Changes. Drag the icon of the second monitor according to its position near the primary monitor in the all-in-one computer. (Example: If your second monitor is positioned to the left of your primary monitor, drag the second monitor's icon to the left of the primary monitor's icon.) Click OK, and you should be all set!

Boneheads 08-02-2014 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanTurkey (Post 346086)
Have you checked the Screen Resolution control panel? You can reach it by right-clicking on your desktop and selecting Screen Resolution. Assuming your monitor is plugged into the computer already, click on the grey box labeled "2" if you see it. You may have to click the "Detect" button to the right of the monitor's icon for the monitor to be recognized.

In the Multiple Displays drop-down menu, select Extend desktop to this display. Click Apply, and if you see anything on the second monitor, click Keep Changes. Drag the icon of the second monitor according to its position near the primary monitor in the all-in-one computer. (Example: If your second monitor is positioned to the left of your primary monitor, drag the second monitor's icon to the left of the primary monitor's icon.) Click OK, and you should be all set!

The problem here is that it isn't detecting the second monitor.

HumanTurkey 08-11-2014 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boneheads (Post 346088)
The problem here is that it isn't detecting the second monitor.

:shock:

Oh, yes. Somehow, I overlooked what you typed in the original post. See, it's hard for me to diagnose a problem just from words. Perhaps I'll have to make several other suggestions:
  • Try using a different VGA cable.
  • Try disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor while the computer is on.
  • If that doesn't work, turn off the computer before disconnecting and reconnecting the monitor, and turn the computer back on afterwards.
  • Does your computer have an HDMI port? If so, buy an HDMI to VGA converter. Make sure to look for one that will work; check the reviews!
If it doesn't work out for you, all I can assume from the information you've provided is that your computer's VGA port may be defective. Perhaps one possible cause for the VGA port being defunct is static discharge. Do you use the computer as an object for discharging static electricity buildup? If so, it's not a good idea. It can affect components in your computer.