Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   Total Mayhem (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Thomas Edison Wasn't The First To Have Invented The Lightbulb? (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24857)

REACTOR 02-28-2015 02:02 AM

Thomas Edison Wasn't The First To Have Invented The Lightbulb?

Ancient Egypt...

http://i.imgur.com/91owB1V.png

The bottom part of what looks to be bulbs, look similar to this:

http://i.imgur.com/AnqWh0V.png /* The "Baghdad Battery" they call it. Some sources like Wikipedia says that these found artifacts date back to around 250 BCE, but do they? */

http://i.imgur.com/u5Yhdtd.png

hyperme 02-28-2015 04:05 AM

Re: Thomas Edison Wasn't The First To Have Invented The Lightbulb?

no u

REACTOR 02-28-2015 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperme (Post 347768)
no u

Oh come on! Are our histories so rigid that anything which opposes the common and accepted way of things gets thrown out of the window, literally?

What are we?

hyperme 02-28-2015 06:47 AM

no u

seamonkey 02-28-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REACTOR (Post 347769)
Oh come on! Are our histories so rigid that anything which opposes the common and accepted way of things gets thrown out of the window, literally?

What are we?

I think there is a bit of disparity of evidence on what you have provided and what other theories about technology of the time provide. You have provided three images and made a claim about what they are. (one of which is a battery, which is talked about by other theories) Other archaeologists spend years studying every artifact they can get their hands on, and write extensive academic peer reviewed papers. Suffice to say this thread wouldn't get past peer review.

tl;dr: there is middle ground between blindly accepting mainstream theories about stuff and accepting literally anything. I generally tend to believe more qualified people.

hyperme 02-28-2015 11:04 AM

what seamonkey said.

instead of thinking potted plants and swords are lightbulbs, sign up for morphic mafia.

Megadog 02-28-2015 03:13 PM

To be fair, he is correct. Thomas Edison was not the first to invent the lightbulb, he merely improved on previous designs to such an extent that the design was usable commercially. However, the design he improved was not from Egypt.

REACTOR 02-28-2015 07:02 PM

I don't generally believe more qualified people. It all depends on the factors of their environment.

seamonkey 02-28-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REACTOR (Post 347777)
I don't generally believe more qualified people. It all depends on the factors of their environment.

What?

REACTOR 03-01-2015 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamonkey (Post 347778)
What?

Just because people are qualified or experts in the field doesn't necessarily mean that they are free of any agendas. These agendas often skew public knowledge.

While some always call me a conspiracy theorist, I strongly believe that certain histories and technologies are being hidden from us.

hyperme 03-01-2015 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REACTOR (Post 347777)

no u

REACTOR 03-01-2015 03:51 AM

And I am guessing Hyperme's reply would be "no u" again. PREDICTION!!

REACTOR 03-01-2015 03:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperme (Post 347781)
no u

Knew IT!!

hyperme 03-01-2015 05:12 AM

It doesn't count if I post before you make a prediction.

no u

darkguyhades 03-01-2015 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REACTOR (Post 347779)
While some always call me a conspiracy theorist, I strongly believe that certain histories and technologies are being hidden from us.

Why?

seamonkey 03-01-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REACTOR (Post 347779)
Just because people are qualified or experts in the field doesn't necessarily mean that they are free of any agendas. These agendas often skew public knowledge.

I'll buy that sometimes qualified people say things that aren't entirely objective (even if those people aren't doing so on purpose), for example it turns out that amicus curie briefs have a tendency to favor the people paying them. Usually though this agenda is pretty easy to see. What possible agenda does anyone have to hide history, especially ancient egyptian history?

Couple more things: first is that peer review checks back any gigantic bias in academia when you want to publish something the paper goes through peer review, wherein what you write is submitted to several other qualified experts (you don't know which ones), and they make sure your theories are fully supported by the evidence/you aren't saying crazy things. Second is that nobody is going to intentionally misrepresent the evidence or results from an experiment. Or approve a paper where the misrepresentation is obvious. If anyone figured that out their academic reputation would be in the garbage and they couldn't do anything in that field ever again.

Megadog 04-08-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyle (Post 348111)
lol...that's crazy...I wonder if they had tablet too.... :lol:

Nah, that was the Romans.