Hamumu Forum

Hamumu Forum (http://hamumu.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Blabber (http://hamumu.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same? (http://hamumu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25015)

ChessManiac 08-18-2015 12:59 AM

Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same?
 
Hello, I'm doing a chemistry problem which has asked me to write the symbol for Carbon-12, Carbon-13, and Carbon-14, with "nucleon and mass numbers".

I am totally confused by this! Is there a difference in how you write them with the symbol? Or is this some workbook mistake?

Megadog 08-18-2015 12:59 PM

Re: Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same?
 
One would assume the nucleon number is the number of nucleons it has (12, 13, 14) while the mass number is the atomic mass (Pmass*6 + Nmass*(12, 13, 14))

hyperme 08-18-2015 01:35 PM

Re: Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Megadog (Post 348769)
One would assume the nucleon number is the number of nucleons it has (12, 13, 14) while the mass number is the atomic mass (Pmass*6 + Nmass*(12, 13, 14))

Both Protons and Neutron ares are nucleons. Atomic number is how many protons you have, and nucleon number is the total number of protons and neutrons. That means your equation doesn't work.

The point of the exercise may be to check that you know that nucleon count = atomic mass. (Although this isn't technically true due to reasons, at that carbon end of things it's close enough.)

seamonkey 08-18-2015 03:06 PM

Re: Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hyperme (Post 348770)
Both Protons and Neutron ares are nucleons. Atomic number is how many protons you have, and nucleon number is the total number of protons and neutrons. That means your equation doesn't work.

The point of the exercise may be to check that you know that nucleon count = atomic mass. (Although this isn't technically true due to reasons, at that carbon end of things it's close enough.)

Atomic number isn't mentioned. The numbers CM mentioned are the nucleon number and the mass number (which are the same thing.) The mass number is different than the atomic mass which is annoying. The atomic mass is what megadog was trying to write an equation for, but failed due to counting too many neutrons.
The correct equation of atomic mass of carbon is (Pmass*6 + Nmass*(12 - 6, 13 - 6, 14 - 6))

Some of what I wrote down is a restatement of hyperme's post, but was slightly confusing so I rewrote it.

Megadog 08-19-2015 03:07 PM

Re: Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by seamonkey (Post 348771)
Atomic number isn't mentioned. The numbers CM mentioned are the nucleon number and the mass number (which are the same thing.) The mass number is different than the atomic mass which is annoying. The atomic mass is what megadog was trying to write an equation for, but failed due to counting too many neutrons.
The correct equation of atomic mass of carbon is (Pmass*6 + Nmass*(12 - 6, 13 - 6, 14 - 6))

Some of what I wrote down is a restatement of hyperme's post, but was slightly confusing so I rewrote it.

Thanks, it's been a while since I did this so I forgot A) That nucleons are both and B) that the number is the number of nucleons, not neutrons.

REACTOR 02-20-2016 11:09 PM

Re: Aren't The Nucleon Number And The Mass Number The Same?
 
I think it's obviously a workbook mistake. The nucleon number and mass number are indeed the same. I think what the book meant to say was atomic instead of nucleon number.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.