View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yerfdog Adventures Of Bouapha Architecture Funtest!

Want to be famous worldwide, and featured in the biggest game of 2008!? That's a shame, because I can only offer a spot in my game.

The Adventures Of Bouapha Architecture Funtest!

It's not a contest, there are no prizes except enormous fame. It's a FUNTEST!

The next Adventure Of Bouapha takes place in a city in Canada. I want to make a very very large city (it's not a particularly large city in the real-world sense, but in terms of game-space), where the player can roam free as the wind. But if I were to craft all the buildings for such a city myself, it would end up enormously repetitive, since I'd make about 3 buildings and then copy & paste the rest.

So this is where you come in! Have you guessed what you are doing yet? Constructing buildings! In brief, you must create a building in the Supreme editor and send it to me, and I will put it somewhere in the city, once I develop a utility to extract parts of a level and paste them into another level.

In less brief, here are the specific details (I know there's a ton of text here, but it's all quite important, so read them all if you wish to be famous!):

1 - Make 1 or more buildings to be included in the next Adventure Of Bouapha. Make them in the Supreme editor.

2 - Because this is all about art, and because I said so, your building must be made entirely of brand new tiles made by you or someone else for this funtest. No pre-existing tiles may be used! Also, remember the art style - it's like Loonyland 2, all cartoons. I'm more interested in cartoony, simple stuff than in gritty realistic stuff.

3 - Because AoB3 features all new artwork (including yours, see rule 2), you may use items to decorate, but they will end up being replaced by new items, so don't count on them looking too much like they do now. Also, limit your item choices to the list below (remember, you can build anything else you need out of tiles!):
  • Normal trees, pine trees, and bushes.
  • Mailboxes.
  • NO Palm trees or Fat Palms.
  • No custom items allowed (use tiles!).
  • I can't think of any others off-hand, but I'll add them here if they are requested and should be in the list.
4 - No specials at all! No monsters! Just tiles and a select few items. This is an art project, not a gameplay project. Think of it as drawing a picture using a very specialized tool. Don't rely on tile effects, either. Animation is available (but not recommended, to conserve tiles), as well as water and impassable tiles, but that's all. No lava, no bouncy, etc. Water will not be fatal in this game, it will probably just be impassable.

5 - Build your building out of wall tiles, and of course the ground out of floor tiles. You can make a nice tall building by stacking walls one up on the other. You may employ tricks like having a fire escape the player can walk up, or stairs, etc. You know how to do those!

6 - I am trying to have a decent sense of scale in this game, so try to keep things to scale. A door should be 2 tiles wide by 3 tiles high, approximately (obviously, some doors are bigger, but a smaller door would be too small for the AoB3 Bouapha!).

7 - You are only making the building and its immediate yard. Don't make sidewalk or roads. Any space in your level outside of the yard should be the default purple tiles to clearly mark where your work ends. You are welcome to include fences and such around your property if you want.

8 - No interiors, just the outside of the building.

9 - If you want to make multiple buildings, make them all in one level, lined up in a row, with at least one tile of purple between them to separate. Keep them within a few tiles of each other so I don't get lost looking for them.

10 - Save your buildings in a 1-level world, and name it "building_XXXXX.dlw" where XXXXX is your forum name (or some reasonable shortening that I will easily recognize!). Set the author name for your world too! If you send in more buildings later, use the same file.

11 - Keep your tile usage LOW! As low as you possibly can. Make sure you use "Delete Unused Tiles" as well. 10 or less tiles per building would be great. If you need to use more (as you likely would), please make multiple buildings that share tiles. Remember what I'm trying to accomplish here... an entire city full of unique buildings is going to mean a LOT of tiles, so go easy. I'm going to make this game have a higher tile limit than Supreme, but I can't go crazy.

12 - Teamwork is encouraged. If you can do a pass-along thing with someone else and share tiles that way, that will save on tiles! Or if you just want to make some tiles and post them up for other people to use, that's good too! Make sure I know about all this stuff so I can credit properly in the game. It would be helpful, if you are willing to share, to post your tiles on the forum as soon as you've made them. That way, people can share in the tiles and keep the total tile usage down, as well as make buildings that look like they belong together. Don't be afraid to share - the tiles will all end up in the exact same game anyway!

13 - I need small buildings, big buildings, houses, stores, factories, etc. Definitely build your own house, that's just fun for you and me. Then whatever other buildings you want. Nothing HUGE, please. If it doesn't fit on one screen (20x20 tiles), it shouldn't go much beyond that. No skyscrapers, both for size and because this isn't that big of a city. Remember, this is a medium-sized Canadian city, so think of what they might have there.

14 - When you send your world to me (email it to jamul@hamumu.com ), tell me in the email what the buildings are, and of course don't forget who you are (your forum name, presumably, but whatever you want to be credited as in the game would be good). I will try to use all this information in game, like bumping into a mailbox might say "Jamul's House", or that kind of thing.

15 - Funtest closes February 1st. Get your buildings in before then!

16 - By submitting an entry, you are giving me the right to use it in this game, and in promotional images, and to otherwise display it in relation to this game (but not use it for any purposes other than those related to Adventures Of Bouapha 3). You also recognize that I might not use it, and that it's up to me which ones get included. And lastly, I reserve the right to make any changes to your submitted work that I see fit, but you will be credited for your submission if it's used. That's about as legalese as I get.

If you have any questions or comments, post away or contact me privately. Build, my minions, build!

Last edited by Jamul; 01-07-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: updated rule #16
Jamul is offline   Reply With Quote