Thread: ERM.....
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Sokko
Dumb Person

From the HAMUMU FORUM RULES:

Quote:
This is a message board, not a chatroom, it may be DAYS before a large percentage of our forum visitors have even seen your post!
Message boards = passive communication. The great thing about online forums is that you can devote as much or as little time to them as you want, and with today's busy lifestyles, that's a major plus. The vast majority of forum users only take about a half-hour out of each day to catch up on the latest topics and post a few replies. Good thing, too; if the boards moved at chatroom speed, you'd have to read through hundreds of topics in a single day, a monumental task to say the least.

On a related note, the slower speed of internet forums also allows for greater maturity than you'd see in any chatroom. Messages, for the most part, are not time-critical; you can take your time typing, revising, spell-checking, and posting (and I highly recommend taking this approach, by the way). No one is ever actively waiting for anyone to say something, so you don't feel pressured into posting something slipshod on the spur of the moment.

...I feel like I should be making an analogy to something, but I can't quite figure it out. Someone give me an assist here. :wink: