Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 18, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 07-19-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Default Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

So I've been homeschooled ever since I was born, and recently, I've thought about going to public high school for my freshman year, maybe try it out for a semester and see if I like it after that. I know there are a lot of differences, but I was curious if there's anything important I should know? All I've gotten so far is I won't know how to open my locker for a semester

Any advice?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Default Re: Transition from Homeschool to Public School?

Hmmph, I am not sure whether common core was implemented to every school, but I say be aware if your school follows the common core system. Common core is completely crap!

Take 7+7 for example, any rational person would just add 7 and 7 together to make 14, oh noo! Not in this system, you must split the second seven into a 3 and a 4, add the 3 to the first 7 to make 10, and then add the 4, completely stupid!

It's just scary man, America is seriously going to the toilets, I am not lying!
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:25 AM   #3
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

I suggest taking only taking honors and advanced level classes when you get to a choice between them and a regular one......... Classmates are less likely to browbeat the teacher into reducing the pace of class and the wider range of material covered helps stave off boredom.

The math class chessmaniac speaks of scares me. School systems sometimes have a minor politics of their own, and multiple teachers tend to collaborate on who they recommend to your counselor next semester, and seek each other's help with controllling the flow of class. Dumbing things down to smooth relations is not a tactic limited to students!

Different teachers have different styles. Some will ask for a lot of intensive grunt work, while others will plan out socratic discussions to cover core material. Some high school teachers will lecture like a college professor would. General courses will have a mix.... If it were college I would say to take some courses outside your experience like broadcasting, theatre, and art, because a try-it as it comes approach will help if your interests change, or at least give you a wider expereince to complement your main activity. That means being able to communicate with mr. "watch every COSMOS" and other super academics.

Social participation is basically for fun, to stave off boredom, make lasting friends. If you are thinking about taking up a teacher's oppurtunity for a class trip anytime in the future, or like the idea of going to Europe or something, then this is especially important. High school instituitions, above all else, want you to proclaim your self confidence....
Old 07-19-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads View Post
So I've been homeschooled ever since I was born, and recently, I've thought about going to public high school for my freshman year, maybe try it out for a semester and see if I like it after that. I know there are a lot of differences, but I was curious if there's anything important I should know? All I've gotten so far is I won't know how to open my locker for a semester

Any advice?
Middle school is a pretty poor time in terms of public school, for me high school went really well, as already stated take all the honors courses you can, for different reasons then stated above. Try to do well in them, find a group of cool people who have similar interests to yours, this will probably take some time so don't worry about making friends right away. Talk to all your teachers and try to get to know them and be friends with them, teachers in general are cool people and almost always have something interesting to share if you are willing to listen. Probably the main difference from home schooling is how regimented it will be, each school is different but everywhere it is on a schedule, it will probably be tough to get used to at first, but just print it out and carry it around with you, get to know the school and people in it.

It is almost universally agreed that one of the most important things to learn in public school is [I]social skills[I] {shudder}. So just do your best to get along with people, its important stuff for later in life. One other thing that will likely be highly disputed, don't worry about romance shenanigans, in my opinion it brings a lot of unneeded drama into your life and is extremely time consuming, as well as a pull on your finances. A couple dates is probably good just for the experience but try to avoid relationships in general.

Hope this helps!
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:50 PM   #5
seamonkey
spoon eater

Do it. If the high school has a debate team: join it. take advanced classes - homeschooling is one easy way to get way ahead of the curve by accident. It turns out people are OK, but it does take practice interacting with them, which is much harder to come by in a homeschooling environment.
I don't know much about Utah (other than **** it's hot here (currently on vacation)), but you should be fine.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #6
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Do it. If the high school has a debate team: join it. take advanced classes - homeschooling is one easy way to get way ahead of the curve by accident. It turns out people are OK, but it does take practice interacting with them, which is much harder to come by in a homeschooling environment.
I don't know much about Utah (other than **** it's hot here (currently on vacation)), but you should be fine.
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'll be sure to make notes of all of it. :P Also, seamonkey, what did you say that was turned into ****?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #7
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads View Post
Any advice?
Have a sense of humor and don't take things too seriously. EDIT: By that I'm referring to stuff your peers might say. Take your schoolwork seriously.

Last edited by TyTBone; 07-23-2014 at 08:33 AM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote