Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #281
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Default Re: Mafia Game #A1: Dawn of the Dumb Mafia! (Not Sign-Ups)

Bah, I played horrible this game.

But there's always a next time, I guess!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 PM   #282
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

I actually figured I was going to be zombified... I just didn't think it would have taken so long XD
Old 01-24-2008, 06:38 AM   #283
Mossysox
C.H.E.E.S.E. Burgher

I really don't think the town needed even more power in this game - the zombies only won it by a whisker as it was. With two doctors, two cops, an inventor with a pesky time-machine, and a pair of twins, we really had our work cut out trying to beat what for us was a potential double lynch each day. There were no vanilla townies in this game - which meant that early on in the game, you were all potentially proven good! So yes, I was very pleased to last for as long as I did do - but it was a very close-run thing. At one point, The Team was just me and Regen, and with Drgamer having been told that Regen looked odd, and with it logically being a choice between me and Blackmyth for the SZ after Coolguy had apparently indicated that the SZ had voted for Roland, I thought we were in grave danger of losing that day.

We were certainly nowhere near to overrunning the town until the penultimate day - and couldn't hope to be, until we bit the man with two heads, which we needed to leave for as long as possible, in order to form a majority to lynch WackieWatty. This was why Atkins was bitten in preference to Drgamer (even though biting the cop seemed risky, he'd declared an intention to inspect CheeseLord, which meant that leaving him in place seemed riskier). It's also why I told Atkins to say that he had inspected me, if he didn't want to say he had inspected Drgamer, after Drgamer had announced the results of his inspection. There weren't too many people Atkins could sensibly have inspected at that point, and losing him to exorcism potentially gave us an advantage, however weird that may seem. We needed to reduce the number of players in the game, in order to form a majority with the numbers we could hope to recruit - and since we were enjoying the luxury of being a team of three at that point, it wasn't going to endanger us in any way.

I found the twin thing quite confusing, as I was expecting it to be the case that we would only get both of them by biting one if neither of them was zombie-proof. Not sure that that's actually right, now - and that would be my biggest complaint about this game, if I was a townie. The zombies could only win by getting a two-for-one at some point; so if I'd been a townie, I would have wanted the option of protecting them, by repeatedly exorcising one of them.

Something that did help, that won't be obvious, is that Coolguy allowed all the members of my team to remain in contact with one another even after they died, but this would have worked even better if everybody had remembered to keep the rest of the team informed of what was happening at all times. My request to hosts who allow this in the future would be that they continued sending the night results to everybody (especially the GF) after death - if only to reduce wear-and-tear on the hair follicles.

It's because of this unusual permission that I owe Drgamer an apology. I thought he had all but committed suicide yesterday by pretending to have inspected Onionova, when we needed him to keep a low profile - and it does surprise me that he was allowed an inspection, when Regen was out of the game. The most sensible reading of this as a townie (in the absence of any advance indication from Drgamer that he would, or might, be able to continue inspecting after Regen died) would have been that Drgamer was lying - but then, maybe that's fair enough, given that the twins weren't able to vote for the same person after conversion, which would be a really hard twist to spot. I thought WackieWatty had a most unenviable task yesterday, and really don't think anybody should blame him for picking the wrong person.

Mossysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:15 AM   #284
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: Mafia Game #A1: Dawn of the Dumb Mafia! (Not Sign-Ups)

I wasn't saying at the SZ voted Roland- I just wanted to let the zombies to catch Roland so one of them could say ''HEEEERE'S ZOMBIE!''
Old 01-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #285
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

Eh?

Awww.. So was it actually possible for me to win?

What would have happened if I had exorcised drgamer, like I nearly did?

I found the fact that people could still be zombified after the SZ was killed a bit of a let down. Of course, if we'd found out Mossysox at the start, the game would have quickly ended.
Overall, I don't actually know if the game was completely fair. I mean, with full zombie Exorcism/lynching during the last 2 days, we still lost.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #286
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Hooray! We won! Your plan was brilliant Mossysox! I just really sat there after I died, I didn't really have anything to say. (Except for the ram picture I sent you. It wasn't lynched, by the way)
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #287
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Exclamation Re: Mafia Game #A1: Dawn of the Dumb Mafia! (Not Sign-Ups)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackieWatty View Post
Eh?

Awww.. So was it actually possible for me to win?

The remaining 2 zombies, Cheeselord and Onion, were not allowed to vote the same as part of their role (which is why they didn't lynch you before waiting for the exorcism). If you exorcised DrGamer, they would have been inable to lynch you and it would become impossible for the zombies to complete their win condition.

Quote:
I found the fact that people could still be zombified after the SZ was killed a bit of a let down. Of course, if we'd found out Mossysox at the start, the game would have quickly ended.
Overall, I don't actually know if the game was completely fair. I mean, with full zombie Exorcism/lynching during the last 2 days, we still lost.
It was an experimental game and thus very hard to balance! Although I agree that the town had a hard time because they couldn't trust anybody very long, there was plenty of spots where they could have near-won the game by simply making the right exorcism/lynch.

The 2 zombies you got on the 2nd-to-last day were about to disintigrate anyways (they were only meant to waste the town's power for the day) and the zombies got lucky by grabbing the siamese twins.

Last edited by Coolguy; 01-24-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #288
Roland
Lynched Day 3

Some actual substantial thoughts:
  • This game was incredibly confusing to watch. And I mean INCREDIBLY! Which means there's some stuff I can't comment on without doing hours of research because I'll probably get the facts wrong.
  • Mossysox, you should not have claimed vanilla. Yes, I know on inspection you probably came up vanilla, but the fact that you claimed it should have made it very clear that you were the SZ (or, at the very least, a zombie) and not blackmyth. Still, the town lynched him anyway. Oh well.
  • There's one problem with cults of any sorts. Yes, they were balanced this game, and kudos to Coolguy for getting it right, but there is a moral problem that arises: I think some townies this game didn't really want to go after the zombies as much because they thought they might have been converted later. People's ultimate win condition is to achieve A win condition, not necessarily their current one. They'll do what's best for THEM!
  • This funnily enough hasn't been said, but thank you Coolguy for giving us a very entertaining game!
That's all, really!
Old 01-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #289
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Exactly. Anything that changes people's win conditions generally doesn't work well.
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Blaaaah.
Sillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 PM   #290
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Yerfdog Re: Mafia Game #A1: Dawn of the Dumb Mafia! (Not Sign-Ups)

I was afraid that would happen, but it didn't become too insanely apparent. Not to mention that if any of you started acting obviously in the favor of the zombies you might easily be lynched, losing any chance of conversion.

I don't plan to do any more games like this, it was mostly just an experiment to see if a hopefully-more-balanced cult worked well.

Last edited by Coolguy; 01-24-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:01 AM   #291
Mossysox
C.H.E.E.S.E. Burgher

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
The remaining 2 zombies, Cheeselord and Onion, were not allowed to vote the same as part of their role (which is why they didn't lynch you before waiting for the exorcism). If you exorcised DrGamer, they would have been inable to lynch you and it would become impossible for the zombies to complete their win condition.
I assume the game would have ended in a draw, because my team certainly wouldn't have helped the Priest to lynch them!

We didn't 'get lucky' biting the Siamese twins: that was the plan from the moment Drgamer reported that CheeseLord had two heads. Everything we did after that was designed to make sure they were both available when we needed to bite them.

Roland, I used the safe claim that Coolguy gave me; I didn't try to think of an alternative because I felt it was easier to argue against Blackmyth (which worked). In any case, I'm not comfortable asking people to behave irrationally, and there was compelling evidence in favour of the innocence of all the other possible candidates for SZ at that point. It wasn't as if my continued presence in the game was essential to the win, so what's your objection exactly?

This was an enjoyable game to play, so I'd like to thank Coolguy for that, too. But I'm not convinced that it was balanced, beyond the fact that it was stacked against my side at the start and against the town at the end. A curing doctor and an inventor could really have restricted my team's numbers, when we were losing zombies to decay as well - and if Hammered had used her post mortem PMing power, things might have become very tricky indeed.

Mossysox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:27 AM   #292
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

I really liked this game, and I thought I played better than usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
Atkins had a lot of misfortune after his zombification; First, he forgot the SZ had the normal Godfather powers and proved himself evil, and then second he tried to use his final mafia investigation on somebody who was immune to zombie powers! He still won in the end, though.
I didn't forget anything about the SZ - I was trying to get Mossysox exorcised, as it would have had no effect. It failed, but meh. I DID make a mistake inspecting DrG, but there wasn't much option by then anyway. I also had no idea I would have disintegrated if I hadn't been lynched, but that turned out well anyway.

Switching sides is really confusing though, as I wasn't sure to start with whether I really wanted to help the zombies. Meh.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #293
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Exclamation Re: Mafia Game #A1: Dawn of the Dumb Mafia! (Not Sign-Ups)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossysox View Post
This was an enjoyable game to play, so I'd like to thank Coolguy for that, too. But I'm not convinced that it was balanced, beyond the fact that it was stacked against my side at the start and against the town at the end.
Most games are already like that but in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossysox View Post
A curing doctor and an inventor could really have restricted my team's numbers, when we were losing zombies to decay as well - and if Hammered had used her post mortem PMing power, things might have become very tricky indeed.
I was never fully convinced that it was balanced either; It was very hard with the side-switching-ness of this game! Both sides are claiming their side wasn't powerful enough, oddly enough!

The trouble with the zombies is that they had to get rid of the Priest, which wasn't as hard as people are making it out to be because once the zombies got the majority, they could quick-lynch the priest before he could get an exorcism in, and then the town would be inable to lynch off the zombies who voted the Priest because the zombies had control of the lynch.

The trouble with the town seems to be that even though they managed to get rid of quite a few zombies, the zombies managed to just replace those lynch/exorcism victims quickly.

I'm mostly going to stick with games like Carnival Mafia or Superhero Mafia. I just wanted to test this, and from my eyes it seems to be mostly a success, though it could have been more balanced (I'm still not sure which team is the one truly balanced against, though). Maybe with lots of vanilla townies and zombies.

Last edited by Coolguy; 01-25-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:10 PM   #294
blackmyth
eats people.

Fun fun fun!

Definetely try to do more games with twists, even if they turn out slightly unbalanced.

Last edited by blackmyth; 01-25-2008 at 01:10 PM.
blackmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #295
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Exclamation Re: Mafia Game #A1: Dawn of the Dumb Mafia!

It seems I forgot to post a role PM. Here it is: Wesley's original role!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy
Wesley, you are LOUIS CREED, THE DOCTOR!

You are currently alive, so you are a townie- Huzzah! You win when all the zombies are gone. You have discovered a powerful drug which can make a target temporarily immune to zombification!

1) Immunity Dart

You can shoot somebody with a vaccine full of miracle drug. This will make the target immune to the undead for the night. This does not affect people who are already zombies. So you're pretty much just a doctor- PM me your protection each night!

Have fun! If you have any questions, feel free to ask via PM.
Kudos to whoever recognizes the reference in the role name.

Last edited by Coolguy; 01-27-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM   #296
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Default Re: Mafia Game #A1: Dawn of the Dumb Mafia!

Ah, I missed my old role. Too bad I only had it for one round. Still, if I hadn't been converted, I wouldn't have won.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:23 PM   #297
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

Default Re: Mafia Game #A1: Dawn of the Dumb Mafia!

Not necessarily, you could have protected someone else who would have been converted...