Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Adventures Of Bouapha

Old 06-01-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Yerfdog Happyponygate Internet Contest!

Internet contest!? What's that?

Simple: you come up with a feature/event/thing for the player to do in Happyponygate that involves the internet. You need to bear the following things in mind:

1 - This is a single player game. No idea involving two people directly interacting face to face will ever happen (no multiplayer, no dueling arena, no card game you play against players, etc). Indirect interaction is fine, and kind of the whole point of having an internet connection anyway. Things like an auction house, a bulletin board, a graffiti wall that anyone can spray paint on, etc.

2 - Think simple! REALLY SIMPLE! This is a mammoth project already, I won't select something that adds another month or two to the development. But on the other hand, you don't know exactly what I'll think will be easy to do. You might be surprised. So don't be afraid to throw something out there that seems big too you. I just mention this rule because I don't want people suggesting "A trading card game like Magic: The Gathering, only with more cards!"

3 - This goes along with #1 a bit, but it needs to work well even if your connection is incredibly slow. So nothing 'real time'. It has to be fairly enjoyable and usable if the player will see "Loading..." for 3 seconds whenever it needs to get stuff from the internet.

4 - You've seen my suggestions: trading items, choosing monsters to unleash in other players' worlds, building levels that others can play, online chat. That should both give you some ideas, and let you know what's already been thought up!

5 - Give a whole lot of clear details! A vague thing like "You can trade items with other players" just isn't going to cut it (besides the fact that I came up with it first). Be totally specific and highly detailed about exactly what you're discussing. It could even help you win - I might find something I really like among your details even if the main idea isn't what I am after.

Rule-type things:

1 - Blah blah, I reserve the right to steal everything if I want.
2 - The contest is over on June 14th when results will be announced.
3 - Post your entries right here in this thread.
4 - Even moreso than previous contests, I reserve the right to not have any winner at all. There might be nothing that fits for me and that I can/feel like/want to implement!
5 - If there is a winner, they will get 50YB.
6 - There may be any number of Finalists as well, which get 10YB each. That number may be zero.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Scotty
The Lost Artist

Default Re: Happyponygate Internet Contest!

Maybe you can collect Pony Plushies?
Like there's different colors and you have to collect one of each color.
Then if you get all the plushies, something special happens...i guess

Last edited by Scotty; 06-01-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: not enough details.
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
Maybe you can collect Pony Plushies?
Like there's different colors and you have to collect one of each color.
Then if you get all the plushies, something special happens...i guess
That's cool, but not Internet related.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
TyTBone
College Boi

I think Mumbly Jim's should be a lot like the SpisMall in SwC; the difference is that the number of things to buy wouldn't be fixed. Players could buy/download songs, pictures (cartoons or better, to make it worthwhile), commentary, short (or long) stories, crossword puzzles, maybe even short movies, etc. using Loonies.

EDIT: Okay, more specific. Bouapha would enter the store and head to the back, where the various aisles would be labeled, according to what you could download. Whenever you bump into a shelf along the aisle, a screen comes up, allowing you to pick what to purchase based upon what aisle you are in. (Aisle = catagory)

Anyways, then Bouapha heads to the checkout to finalize his goodies.

OH, and maybe there could be a ?badge? for getting a certain amount of store items. (What's the term Jamul uses?) *Goes to look it up* I guess I was thinking of skill... a shopping skill? Hmmm...

--------

Another idea has to do with spray painting: what if players could create skins for cars in a London Auto Body Shop, then upload them for other people to buy or use? You know how in some racing games they have an area that contains a layout of each side of the car, and one can use MS Paint-like tools (such as paint brush, bucket, pencil, eraser, etc.) to design a sweet looking ride? That's essentially what I was thinking of. I suppose it could also be more things to buy: enter the shop, select the skin, select the car you want to add it to, and bingo - You've got a vehicle with "The cake is a lie!" written in small text on both sides! Of course, the majority of people would simply create their own to save money, but I think the idea has some Net-potential somewhere.

Last edited by TyTBone; 06-05-2008 at 02:31 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Coolguy
Couch Potato

Selling stuff to other players. Hooray for KoL!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Megadog
The Demagogue

Sell items for yerfbucks via usernames
Old 06-01-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

I suggest being able to start a challenge. The challenge will be to beat the level you have created faster then other members. How this work is that you complete your own stage. Then the time it took you gets recorded in "Best time" then anybody who wants to can go in your level and it shows your own "best time" and the best time of the room maker. If the room maker put a challenge up, you can take the challenge(costing you a certain amount of currency) and if you win, you get x5 that amount of currency.

Example: bob made a level. Bob manages to beat his level in 1:03. so he puts up his score for challenge. Joe(from another computer) comes in the room and takes the challenge. Then beats it in 1:11. He now loses an amount of currency. Then Billy(from yet another computer) comes in and gets 0:59. He now wins 5 times the amount of currency required to take the challenge.

The point of this is to attempt to get money at the cost of maybe losing some and also challenging your friends.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Mabe you could paint graffitys online at some houses with the cost of mabe get catched by cops and have to pay some money and after some time the spray ends and you will have to buy another
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 AM   #9
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

Collectible item rewards for doing certain things online. They may or not be useful, depending. These will have their own section, or own inventory if it would limit the amount of items you could carry. They'd have random generated names (if possible, if not, then random sounding names. 'Hammer of Golath' 'Gauntlet of Larthur' 'Toilet of Mary' etc.) You can trade them, but for only other of the same (no trading for coins, other items, etc. These are just fun items )

These should be able to still be gotten even if you fulfilled all of the requirements for getting them. Perhaps a point system where you get points for doing certain things like how much money you get for trading is related to how many points you get from it. Trading points to get the trophy rewards/collectibles would get gradually more expensive, perhaps reaching a cap.

Perhaps a display case that you can show a select number of trophies that you've gotten? (Chosen by user)
Old 06-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #10
Ryuinfinity
Banned

Location: Domefield Centre Mission: Defeat the Zirrons in Chyare Strait.

I think people should be able to customize their character's appearance, and then show off to each other!
Ryuinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #11
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Connect to the internet through your Dumb Account, and upload yourself, and be able to download yourself again from another computer.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM   #12
TyTBone
College Boi

Heh, more "creativity" Net ideas:

I think a "puzzle creator" has potential. Players could draw a picture in game (using aforementioned MS Paint tools) or just draw a .bmp and load it in, then they could use sort of a "divider" or cookie cutter style tool(s) to "slice" the picture up into puzzle pieces. (There could be pre-determined versions of the "divider" too, in case people don't want to make the effort to cut it up themselves.) Then they could share them with other HPG players, who could try to solve them.

---------

I like the graffiti wall idea much better then the one below, but I wanted to mention it:

A modern art museum, indoor or outdoors. Players would be able to buy a spot in the museum, then they would be able to create sculptures using (in my mind) metal pieces and sections that would fit together a lot like tinker toys. The options for types of pieces would expand over time.

Alternatively, and on a bigger scale, Hamumuians could work together to create ONE BIG sculpture out on the outskirts of London (So it could grow really big). If it were next to a forest, Jamul could continually add to the forest so that there would always be more space for construction...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #13
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

How about... You would be able to specifically send the rooms you make to certain players, for beta testing. (Not exciting, but meh. )

Or, depending on whether people have houses, you could send someone a gift, or a, well, 'anti-gift'. These might just be nice "Yay! Soandso sent me some balloons! They look nice." Or they could grant special bonuses, like giving that person +10% money collection for an hour of playing. Anti-gifts would not have any of these effects, as that could almost amount to bullying. Instead, they might be... Actually, nah, forget about them. It would cost currency to send something, and you could maybe attach a message? Though that would again allow bullying, so maybe not.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #14
varkarrus
Banned

This takes the contest in a different direction

EVENTS: A randomly generated quest is sent out to everyone's computer, and they try to complete the quest. This could also include levels in the game that weren't accesible otherwise, as well as new monsters

For example

MARSHMELLOW INVASION
All the monsters are replaced with marshmellow men for the duration of the day, and you have to kill like, 20,000 by the end of the day for a good reward.

There could be a lot of Event quests like this, but there wouldn't be Events THAT often.

Also, as another suggestion:

CHOCOQUAKE:

A chocolate earthquake appears, causing chocofissures to appear creating chocolate enemies! There is a cave that also opened. Try to stop the chocofissures and get some reward in the process!
varkarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #15
Licking Post
Tongue of the Forum

That actually sounds like a really cool idea. However, I think players should be able to opt out of these events, in case they don't want all their enemies to be marshmallows or whatever.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
varkarrus
Banned

Yeah. There could be a button "Turn Of [sic] Events".
varkarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #17
Coolguy
Couch Potato

I don't think there should be any forced effects (or I'd just pull my internet plug out whenever I play the game ).

Holiday events would be nice - The Ninjabread House or maybe Ice Cream Mountain get unlocked every Duhcember. Hmmm... Maybe even a special holiday area for every month?

I think it would be interesting if there was ''The Mansion of Madness''. It would be like those Kid Mystic levels which were randomly assembled from premade rooms. Everybody would be able to build their own room and submit it to the growing amount of premade rooms. Maybe a couple Mansions of Madness with different themes?

Last edited by Coolguy; 06-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #18
antinous
Puny Mortal

This is a really, really silly one, but it popped into my head...

Design costumes for other players! Not yourself. A player who wants new clothes can purchase a "future costume" for a not insignificant (but not staggering) fee. Other players may design costumes (possibly out of items picked up in the world, you know, decorative keychains and the like... the less those items resemble actual clothing, the better) to be randomly assigned to "future costume" owners. Once the costume is completed, it is automatically pasted on to the lucky recipient, whose next twenty seconds of game time are recorded as their spontaneous runway turn! Then we get to vote on how much we like the costumes - scale of 1 to 10 - and the designer gets the resulting percentage of the "future costume" purchase fee. (In other words, if a future costume costs 100 credits, and it gets a 7.5/10, the designer gets 75 credits for his or her effort.)

There should be a limit to how frequently one can buy a new costume, and how frequently one can design one. One should also be allowed to reject a costume, perhaps for a partial refund or simply for a new blank.

Personally, I want to be in the midst of a battle against Charlie the Chocolate Factory and find myself suddenly decked out in a harmonious ensemble of black and white stripes and pink polka dots.
antinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #19
Redbone
She & her pronouns

The ability to take a screenshot of the screen while paused, and you could send pictures to people. Maybe even submit them to the Internet so they appear on your Dumb Page!

How about creating your own mission and sending it to friends, or maybe make it a once-in-a-lifetime chance, random missions are sent to you every time you connect to the Internet?

Here's something simple. A friend list.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:45 PM   #20
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.

Internet high scores/low times/statistics for everything. EVERYTHING. Every mission in the game. Random statistics. How many of a certain type of enemy you killed. Scores and times for custom levels. Just go crazy. Then have the high scores upload and download passively, on a low priority, so it won't clog your internet or take a while to grab the lists. Unless you haven't played recently. Shift it into high priority whenever you're looking at a particular list, with a download bar somewhere discreet, but still display the old scores while downloading the new.
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Blaaaah.
Sillyman is offline   Reply With Quote