Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 07-27-2008, 04:34 AM   #1
Knittel
Crazy Dude

Default An idea to make Hamumu Games better.

This is an idea to make some RPGs of Hamumu better.

I don't like it in LL2 for example that the max level is 50. I would like it more that you level up very slowly but there is no maximum, because if you are in level 50 in normal mode you can't get better anyway.

I would like it more that you can always level up and train. It would be ok if there would be a maximum at level 999, because you would never reach it, but if you can't level up and get better anymore the game gets more boring.
Maybe you would need 5 hours from Level 101 to 102, but that's ok IMO. I only want the feeling to get better, maybe slowly but I get better.

I just wanted to hear your opinion about this. So please reply.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #2
souperzombie
All your brains belong to me!

Default Re: An idea to make Hamumu Games better.

All Hamumu games are awesome. They dont need to be improved.
Although your idea about leveling up incredibly slowly might work...

Become one of us.
Join the revolution.

Last edited by souperzombie; 07-27-2008 at 06:10 AM.
souperzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #3
JoyceVaughn
Canadianzephyr

Smile Re: An idea to make Hamumu Games better.

Even tho they are awesome, theres still room for improvement. Thats what Jamul strives for in each new game he makes, IMO
Old 07-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Of course there is always room for improvement in anything. I'm sure Jamul has his own ideas about how to improve things. But here's a suggestion: if you have an idea for making a better game, why don't you build one and show him how it's better? It's always easier to come up with an idea that you think is better than to actually produce one. What do you say?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
Coolguy
Couch Potato

It is already possible to get infinitely powerful in LL2 by doing Madcap, because of Madcap stones and because you get a bunch of skill points every time you run through.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:43 AM   #6
Knittel
Crazy Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob View Post
Of course there is always room for improvement in anything. I'm sure Jamul has his own ideas about how to improve things. But here's a suggestion: if you have an idea for making a better game, why don't you build one and show him how it's better? It's always easier to come up with an idea that you think is better than to actually produce one. What do you say?
True, but I'm not an advanced programmer, my games are still in the old DOS-Boxes.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittel View Post
True, but I'm not an advanced programmer, my games are still in the old DOS-Boxes.
I know the problem. I have done a bit of modest programming in REXX, but nothing recently. All this graphical stuff is currently beyond my capabilities.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 AM   #8
Ryuinfinity
Banned

Location: Domefield Centre Mission: Defeat the Zirrons in Chyare Strait.

I support this idea.
Ryuinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

I'm against it. I'm bad enough for feeling like I haven't completed Hamumu games until I've done everything. Strangely, I'm not that bothered for other games. But still, having a ridiculous level cap would make me really want to reach it for no good reason. 50 is reasonable; it takes about the length of the game to reach level 50 in my experience, and it means you can't just grind on and on, but have to use different strategies if you get stuck.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #10
Blackduck
Original Kool Kat

Send a message via ICQ to Blackduck Send a message via AIM to Blackduck Send a message via MSN to Blackduck

This can be a good idea, in a way. I'd be really cool if when you make a HPG account, you could choose what max level you want! You chose between 50,100 and 200 let's say. The higher max level, the slower it is to train! So you can play the game and get to level 50really fast just for the fun of it, or you can take a good 100 hours to get to level 200.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
Coolguy
Couch Potato

If you're trying to apply that to AoB3, then I'd have to disagree as well. Just a sane level cap that everybody can reach without having to do tons and tons of grinding would be better.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

However, the problem that I've experienced in some games (not Hamumu games, and only rarely) is that you reach the level cap and yet can't beat a bit of the game. If you for instance have the best equipment you can get, then you know that you're never going to be able to beat that bit of the game.
I must admit, this has mainly happened to me in Guild Wars, probably because the level cap is so low, at 20.

Of course, level caps are good in a way, as you can't level up crazily and then glide through the game without any effort.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackieWatty View Post
Of course, level caps are good in a way, as you can't level up crazily and then glide through the game without any effort.
That's why monsters often give less or no experience points when you're much stronger than them; you're forced to move on to monsters that actually pose a threat to you if you want to continue to level. Though with that system, you really can't have no level cap, since there'd always have to be monsters which are about as strong as you and which you could defeat for experience points.

Regarding the original idea, I really don't see where the fun in excessive levelling up in a game like Loonyland 2 is. Levels are okay if you gain them while you progress further in the game, but "grinding" monsters to gain experience points is just boring and repititive imo, especially if there's only a few types of monsters you could defeat for exp, so I can live without a level cap that's any higher than it needs to be so you can get strong enough to beat the game. Actually, I've found that many games that force you to "grind" do so so they can claim to offer more "playtime" since they lack the substance/content otherwise; I'd rather have more areas to explore, different things to fight and fun stuff to accomplish that doesn't make me feel like I'm wasting time... meh.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 08-10-2008 at 03:23 PM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote