Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017
Old 09-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #21
TyTBone
College Boi

Default Re: Movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob View Post
Do yourself a favour...and don't bother. Unbelievably family-unfriendly.
Right. I read a review of it. But is it funny, or just lame like those two-of-the-six writers from Scary Movie?
Old 09-05-2008, 07:35 PM   #22
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

I like the Scary Movie series, and Date Movie. I haven't seen the other ones, but I don't really want to, as it seems that they're just lame jokes and references thrown together...

I also like "I Am Legend" I thought it was interesting how the main character slowly went crazy from being one of the only people left on earth after a viral outbreak. (Which was ironically a supposed a cure for cancer before the "Side-Effects" were seen)

Finding Nemo is funny. It's about a lost fish that gets captured and has to find his way home. It also shows the horror of what happens to the fish inside dentist offices.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #23
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I like the Scary Movie series
The first one was really funny, and the other three had their moments.
Quote:
Date Movie.
After the mayo joke, I just skimmed the next twenty or so minutes and stopped.
Quote:
I haven't seen the other ones, but I don't really want to, as it seems that they're just lame jokes and references thrown together...
Uh-Huh, though that's how I felt about Date Movie, too. SuperHero movie looks somewhat funny. But I'd say Family Guy and the first three seasons of South Park (coupled with certain segments of SNL) are the funniest things I've ever seen.

Quote:
I also like "I Am Legend" I thought it was interesting how the main character slowly went crazy from being one of the only people left on earth after a viral outbreak.
I don't know what to think of this one.

Quote:
It also shows the horror of what happens to the fish inside dentist offices.
Are you anti-pets? Or twas joke?

Movies I've seen in the last three days or so:

"The French Connection" (1971) - I really liked this one for the most part, although a lot of it was just people following other people. (I tend to think that older movies tend to be better constructed than many newer ones.) Supposedly it had an epic car chase in it, but that was quite a let down. (Maybe at the time it was considered epic.) Still, a Gene Hackman classic.

"Fight Club" (?2000?) - Wow! REALLY intriguing...

"Air Force One" (?1994?) - Moderately cool, although today (I think) most people would prefer to negotiate with terrorists, so it doesn't fit in with today's political landscape. I just realized now that it reminds me a lot of like Die Hard.

Last edited by TyTBone; 09-06-2008 at 11:26 AM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #24
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
I didn't like Transformers - It had cool special effects, but I thought that other than that it was really dumb.
It was the right price to see it in my school. Free.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #25
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
Right. I read a review of it. But is it funny, or just lame like those two-of-the-six writers from Scary Movie?
It was funny in parts. But mostly it was just really raunchy. I think it was also a relatively realistic depiction of the kind of degrading garbage that disreputable frats get up to, but that is just a guess; I wasn't in a frat.

I think part of the purpose to the movie was to challenge the idea many teenagers might have that acting like a totally decadent fool can be fun. It was like an anti-comedy.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:44 PM   #26
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
I wasn't in a frat.
I'm curious about your age. I thought you were acting quite mature for your age! (And I also thought you were about 16 or so.

Quote:
I think part of the purpose to the movie was to challenge the idea many teenagers might have that acting like a totally decadent fool can be fun. It was like an anti-comedy.
Maybe, but I'm guessing they won't get that part and continue to think that "acting like a totally decadent fool can be fun" because the most memorable scenes contained said actions.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:06 PM   #27
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Quote:
I'm curious about your age. I thought you were acting quite mature for your age! (And I also thought you were about 16 or so.
Why thank you! But I'm forty-four. So if you thought I was mature for sixteen, I guess that isn't that much of a compliment. But I appreciate it anyway.

Quote:
... but I'm guessing they won't get that part and continue to think that "acting like a totally decadent fool can be fun" because the most memorable scenes contained said actions.
There's nothing quite like a hangover to introduce a dose of reality into how truly fun being irresponsible can be. And for those who are slow learners, there's waking up in jail and/or hospital. One of the many unrealistic things about those teen decadence movies is that people seldom get in serious trouble with the law or get seriously hurt (unless it's a horror movie). Very unrealistic. Do not try it at home! Vomiting and then suffering from alcohol poisoning is even less fun than it looks and sounds. Trust me.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:11 AM   #28
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
I'm forty-four.
Wow!

Anyways...

Speaking of decadence, the South Park movie is quite funny, but extremely wrong in sections.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #29
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Quote:
Speaking of decadence, the South Park movie is quite funny, but extremely wrong in sections.
In my opinion pretty much all of South Park and everything those guys do is wrong. That puppet movie about world police, I forget the name, was definitely funny in places but it was also very wrong. That's a good term for it. But to each his own. I had a lot more tolerance for gross stuff when I was a kid, and slightly less but still a lot as a young adult. It's just one of those growing up things.

Good thing Hamumu is so family friendly.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #30
TyTBone
College Boi

Talking Re: Movies

Quote:
Good thing Hamumu is so family friendly.
As are the National Treasure movies! Excellent, excellent stuff. There's still some good action, but it's not dumb childish action (like I felt Super Mario Bros. was, don't take it personal, SP). And intriguing storylines.

As for less family friendly...

I don't know how many people here are old enough to appreciate movies from the '80s, but I've seen essentially all of the Living Dead series...

Night of the Living Dead (196 - Scary for its time, but I found it boring. Too much talking. I can understand why the characters would have been so scared of the dead walking (since any mention of zombies before that film would had only been in the context of overseas black magic or voodoo), but those guys were cereally slow. And the blond lady was quite annoying. Pretty cheesy. (I was surprised to actually hear swearing in this movie, given its ripe old age!)

Return of the Living Dead (1985) - Pretty much unknown and overshadowed by Dawn of the Dead (197, this zombie movie was made after George Romero and Steve Russo (the two guys who made NotLD) split up. (This, I believe, is actually based off Russo's book of the same name.) This can be considered a black comedy, I believe. Two guys release a zombie held captive for about 20 years in a government bin (containing Trioxin, a special chemical), and they end up releasing the chemical into the nearby cemetary. Meanwhile, a bunch of 80s kids (a few metalheads, nerds, goody-two-shoes, yer stock characters) are partying in the cemetary and try to escape the zombies. (Not your typical zombies; these guys are TOUGH and smart, and they only eat brains.) Amusing (sometimes) but pointless.

Return of the Living Dead, part II (198 - I believe this was a Warner Bros. production. It's zombies...for kids! Seriously, if they had been willing to tone down the gore (there wasn't that much), it could've been rated PG-13. In this one, the government is transporting Trioxin in open-air vehicles and a barrel falls into the river near a construction zone for new houses out of town. Three kids (not more than 12-year-olds) find it (two jerks and a nice guy) and eventually end up releasing the Tarman (a slimey guy from the original one). The chemical ends up washing into another nearby cemetary, and a bunch of long dead dudes come up and invade the cultisake. One of the bad kids gets bitten and becomes even badder, with a specific grudge against the good kid. A bunch of people (the good kid, his sister, a doctor, a thief, and some other dude and his girlfriend) escape and try to leave, only to find the army has quarintind the entire town. And they try to find ways to survive. And some do.

Again, amusing but pointless...

I can write more, or I can write about Return of the Living Dead III or Return of the Living Dead: Necropolis if people want...