Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 09-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #1
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Something Interesting To Try....

On another forum I look at, a new feature was added a bit ago; Reputation. Basically, people get a certain number of reps to give a day (and can't give too many to one person). They give people positive rep for good posts (like good evidence in mafia, good constructive criticism, etc.) and bad rep for bad posts (swearing, rudeness, hypocrisy, creating tons of spam threads, spamming outside TM, etc.) Of course, people have a choice as whether to sign rep shots, so people likely to negrep you back just because you negrepped them won't get a chance. Basically, something to show who the good people are, and who you may want to ignore. It's also another thing so people can't say "he had no warning!!!!!!!!!!!! why did u ban him?!?!?!" when someone gets banned. Rep is shown as some sort of a meter on the person's account information on their posts. Bright Green= Great, Green= Good, Grey = New\Neutral, Red= Bad, Bright Red= Shape Up or Get Banned. Just something for Jamul to consider adding (and yet another debate). It seems to have worked pretty well at Heroscapers. Check that website's forum for an example.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Default Re: Something Interesting To Try....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
Basically, something to show who the good people are, and who you may want to ignore.
Excuse me, but I know very well who the "good people" are and who I want to ignore without having a statistic tell me that, and Jamul should very well know who to ban without that as well. Oh, and giving someone "bad rep" is basically telling them that you hate them; a feature to more easily offend people is just the thing we need the least here, methinks.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 09-19-2008 at 06:29 PM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:35 PM   #3
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

The only reason people ever think there is no warning when someone gets banned is the very reason why a reputation system doesn't help with that: this forum does not tolerate anything that isn't family friendly, so such things are nuked before most people see them. Therefore nobody would ever get negative reputation for them either.

That's not to say a system like that is useless, just that it doesn't help with that. It actually is built into this forum, I just have never activated it. I don't think I like the kind of feelings and things that a system like that generates. However, there's a big forum update to come eventually which adds a lot of social features. I don't know what exactly they all are or how they work, I'm just hoping it won't destroy the rest of the site!
Old 09-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
PlasmaCannonsRule

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPumpkin View Post
Excuse me, but I know very well who the "good people" are and who I want to ignore without having a statistic tell me that, and Jamul should very well know who to ban without that as well. Oh, and giving someone "bad rep" is basically telling them that you hate them; a feature to more easily offend people is just the thing we need the least here, methinks.
Gah, that "you" was supposed to be "new people". Also, nice to know about the site update Jamul!

EDIT: Also, I didn't mean the really bad folk; I meant people like CDL and Rtys, when there was a huge outcry when they were banned because they "didn't get enough warning". Also, SP, you choose whether to sign reps, so you can anonymously negrep someone so they won't burst on you.

Last edited by PlasmaCannonsRule; 09-19-2008 at 07:18 PM.
PlasmaCannonsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Coolguy
Couch Potato

It would still mean that the person who has lots of ''negrep'' on them will whine about how everybody hates them and leave the forum. I agree with SP; It's not a good idea!!!

It's interesting to hear about new forum stuff, though... Although it does mean that Jamul has too many projects at once! (HPG, Rise 2, Hitsuji Editor, and now Website Update!)

Last edited by Coolguy; 09-19-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

I'm not working on any website update. It's a Vbulletin update that I haven't taken as yet (not like a security fix, it's the next 'big version').
Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #7
death
Banned

on another site I go to, only the worst of the worst get a negative rep. (a red box) a neutral rep. is a grey box, and a good rep is 1 or more green boxes. (i've never seen someone with more than one red box so, I wouldn't know.

I actually like the idea of rep. the only thing is that you will need to add a rule that says not to be mean to 0 rep people.

and a red rep would mean just be careful when talking to this person.

or maybe you could enable the groups feature.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 06:22 AM   #8
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable

Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
I'm not working on any website update. It's a Vbulletin update that I haven't taken as yet (not like a security fix, it's the next 'big version').
I know that one feature of the update is that messages can be posted on peoples' forum profiles, which may or may not be a pain to moderate.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
varkarrus
Banned

Or maybe you can't see your own rep!
varkarrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
Baconstrips
AKA "Pramtrade"

Having a rep meter would open up some bad sides of people. Say "Anonymous" doesn't like me for no reason, or we disagree on something big (like the "religion vs. evolution thing). He would give me a bad rep, and forever after, I would be looked on with caution because of it. I don't think it would be a good idea at all...
Baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:35 AM   #11
PlasmaCannonsRule

Oh yeah, a note I forgot; you have to have a certain amount of positive rep or be a mod\admin to give people rep. That ought to help.

EDIT: Original post by LordRaidor on the Heroscapers website;

Our new home here in the vBulletin format brings with it a new "Reputation" system. Many users have asked what exactly this is and how it works, so here is the low-down...

Reputation is a measure of each member's general merit, esteem, trustworthyness, character, respect, and level of contribution to the site. Reputation is given to each HSers member by other HSers members. It is a 'community-mediated' system for helping to recognize and reward the members of our community that contribute the most to making it strong.

With the transition to the new vBulletin site, all members are starting from the same 'baseline', so to speak, of 0 (zero) reputation. As members receive positive feedback, or rep boons, from other members, their Reputation will increase. As Reputation rises, the little 'cards' in the member's titlebar will become brighter green, or more cards will be added, making it easy to spot community 'pillars' visually. When Reputation reaches certain benchmark levels (see below), those members will be given new Reputation Titles, which display when the mouse is rolled over the reputation cards in the member's titlebar.

If warranted, members can also receive negative feedback, or rep docks, for unhelpful posts, harrassing comments, spam, troll-feeding, flaming, violating forum policy, etc., which will reduce that member's Reputation and remove cards accordingly. Members with a negative total reputation will display rep cards that are red instead of green. These members should take red cards as a friendly warning that they should improve their behavior before they end up being ignored, ...or even banned.

So how exactly does it work? Easy - see that little 'scale' icon near the top-right of each post? ( ) That's the Reputation button. When you see a post that deserves positive recognition (helping out a newbie, solid contribution to the site, clever, insightful, heartfelt, upstanding, etc.), just click that button. The default "I approve" button will be highlighted, and you can add a comment (if desired) and click "Add to Reputation" to give that member a rep boon and increase their Reputation. It's that easy.

If a post is worthy of negative feedback (spam, flaming, unwarranted rudeness, etc.), Administrators and Site Supporters can also click the Reputation button, then select "I disapprove" before clicking "Add to reputation" to REDUCE that member's Reputation with a rep dock. (Note that this 'negative' option is only available to Site Supporters and Administrators.)

The 'fine print' details of the system:
  • Members may decide to show or hide their Reputation by toggling the "Show My Reputation Level" checkbox in the "Edit Options" section of thier "User CP". If members decide to hide their reputation, it will still be tracked by the system, and others may still make rep hits to that member, but only a single black card and "This User's reputation is disabled" will show in the titlebar of their posts. If a member's Reputation total is negative, it cannot be hidden.
  • Users may only hit (boon or dock) 5 other members in a 24-hour period. This means that rep hits should be used sparingly, and only when warranted. If you logon and rep boon the first 5 posts you view, then you won't be able boon something really stellar when you find it later. Each member has only five hits a day - use them wisely. (Administrators are exempt from this restriction.)
  • Users must hit 10 different members before they may hit the same member again. That means that if you hit 'InfinityMax' with a boon for a fine game review this week, you won't be able to boon or dock IMax again until you have hit (booned or docked) 9 other members first. This prevents small circles of members from abusing the system, and encourages us all to 'spread the love'. ^_^
  • Users must have a minimum of 30 posts AND 20 reputation before their hits 'count' toward other member's totals. If you have less than these minimums, you can still give rep hits, but they won't actually count toward member totals (they add or subtract "0" points). You have to make your presence known here and gain a little respect before you can start molding the reputation of others.
  • The default Reputation level for every member at registration is zero (0). Site Supporters are given a one-time double-boon of 20 points the first time they become Site Supporters. Everybody starts from ground zero, ...unless you're willing to help pay the bills a little. ^_~
  • The Reputation Display Titles are just another measure of respect and recognition. They do not confer any additional privilages or rewards (at the moment). The Titles are as follows (subject to change):
    • < -100 = User should be on your ignored list
    • -100 = User is begging to be banned
    • -50 = User better shape up soon
    • 0 = User is quite inconspicuous
    • 10 = User is getting noticed
    • 50 = User is fitting in
    • 150 = User is well known and liked
    • 350 = User is a good contributing member
    • 550 = User is a great contributing member
    • 750 = User is solid and respected by all
    • 1300 = User is a beloved pillar of the community
    • 2000 = User is among the very best of the best
  • You may notice admins have both dark ( ) and light green ( ) cards on their rep level. There are also dark ( ) and light red ( ) cards. The light versions of both colors indicate that you are getting to the higher end of that color bar. They are added once you pass the halfway mark of the total number of cards you can get in that color. Green has 11 total cards, so after 5 dark green cards the rest will be light green. Red has 2 cards, so after one dark red the second one will be light red.
  • The amount of points that each member adds (or subtracts) from another member's Reputation with each boon (or dock) varies, based on a number of factors. This is a reflection of each member's general 'standing' in the community, and is refered to as a member's Reputation Power. Each boon increases the recipient's Rep by an amount equal to the giver's Power. A dock decreases the recipient's Rep by half of the giver's Power. Reputation Power is a base of 1 as soon as a member reaches the minimum use restrictions of 30 posts and 20 Reputation Points total. This base is further modified by the following bonuses:
    • for every 6 months since their registration, users gain 1 additional Power
    • for every 800 posts made, users gain 1 additional Power
    • for every 200 Reputation Points a user has, he or she gains 1 additional Power
    Thus, a "hypothetical" user who has been here for 10 months (6x1), with 900 posts (800x1) and 60 rep of his own (200x0) will have a power of 3 (1+1+1+0). This user will add 3 points (or subtract 1 point) from other members' reputations with each hit. A stronger community member (say, ...Revdyer for example), who has been here for 23 months (6x3), with 7697 posts (800x9) and 30 rep of his own (200x0) will have a Power of 13 (1+3+9+0). He will add 13 (or subtract 6) points from other members' reputations with each hit. Administrators always have a Power of 10, with none of the above bonuses or restrictions (Yes, ...the Rev hits heavier than truth, ...but the Rev can only do it 5 times a day, and truth can do it all he wants... ^_~ )
That's how it works - everything you ever wanted to know about our "Reputation System" and more. ^_^ If you have any questions or feedback, please feel free to post it here. Enjoy!!!

...Oh and one last bit, as TOG helped me to discover:
The easiest way to see your own reputation, ...OR see all the docks or boons one of your own posts has received, ...is to click the Rep Button ( ) on one of your own posts. ...Your current Reputation Total, and all of your boons and docks for that post will be conveniently displayed.

^_^
-Your Administrators-

EDIT2: Geh, it involves people paying the site for certain privileges. Maybe, since this is a small website, Jamul promotes certain people to that level?

Last edited by PlasmaCannonsRule; 09-29-2008 at 04:42 AM.
PlasmaCannonsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 PM   #12
Coolguy
Couch Potato

1) There's already a system that rewards people: Yerfbucks and trophies! (and, to a lesser extent, forum titles)
and
2) Hamumu definitely isn't a big enough community that it requires a reputation statistic so people to make opinions about other people.

Last edited by Coolguy; 09-29-2008 at 09:10 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

I thought a while back that maybe there should be a little button somewhere on people's posts, so that if you found one helpful you could click it to send yerfbucks. Works a bit like a rep system, but only positives, and it's something actually useful to receive. No elitism either.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
SpiderPumpkin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsSJ View Post
I thought a while back that maybe there should be a little button somewhere on people's posts, so that if you found one helpful you could click it to send yerfbucks. Works a bit like a rep system, but only positives, and it's something actually useful to receive. No elitism either.
You can just send them Yerfbucks manually if you find their posts helpful, I don't think we'd need an extra button for that -o.-o Though the presence of that may encourage it to happen more. Then again, probably not.

Last edited by SpiderPumpkin; 09-30-2008 at 11:20 AM.
SpiderPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote