Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 18, 2017
Old 11-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #61
blackmyth
eats people.

Default Re: Obama Has Won

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
That would mean banning about every single movie that isn't a chick flick and every single game that isn't a chick game.
I don't feel like posting some big thing, so I'll just say that this bit is incredibly sexist and ignorant.

Aside from that, and more on-topic, congrats to Obama on his victory.

Last edited by blackmyth; 11-12-2008 at 03:24 PM.
blackmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #62
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Quote:
ALMOST AN EDIT: Guns can simply be used for target practice, for the sake of the challenge. (I suppose you could use rubber bullets.)
Target practice so you get better at... shooting. There are many other things that can be done for the sake of challenge. You also mention "good people who know how to use guns properly" - I can only think of one way to use a weapon properly, and that doesn't come under any definition of 'good' that I know of.

I really should stop reading this topic, because it annoys me immensely, but I can't keep away somehow.

In no way am I saying that by banning every sort of weapon that crime will disappear, but I really think that having weapons available isn't going to help matters at all. In the UK there's rising knife crime, and that's horrible, but I'd say it's better than gun crime anyway. Someone with a gun is going to be harder to stop than one with a knife.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM   #63
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmyth View Post
I don't feel like posting some big thing, so I'll just say that this bit is incredibly sexist and ignorant.

Aside from that, and more on-topic, congrats to Obama on his victory.
Sorry, I didn't even think about it like that and didn't think anyone would make a big deal out of it. I'm not saying chick flicks are bad, just that they rarely contain violence.

EDIT: And of course, I was overly simplfying the issue.

Quote:
I really should stop reading this topic, because it annoys me immensely, but I can't keep away somehow.
I totally know what you mean. It's like you feel compelled to share your opinion every time someone posts. I guess I can start practicing shutting up by not commenting on your other statements, Atkins...

EDIT: I didn't mean to seem rude here.

Last edited by TyTBone; 11-12-2008 at 10:36 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 AM   #64
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Eh. As long as he doesn't raise taxes so much I can't go to school or takes away mah precious video games, I'm fine with him being president. I do see the disturbing influence of guns though; I've seen four and five year-olds popping at each other with fake handguns, and I have a friend in my class who said that Mansa Musa's empire couldn't become large, prosperous, or even civilized because they didn't have guns.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #65
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaCannonsRule View Post
...I have a friend in my class who said that Mansa Musa's empire couldn't become large, prosperous, or even civilized because they didn't have guns.
That's a statement about the likely progress of a Civilization game. It's not a statement about real life. Guns are very common in a lot of games, especially shoot-em-ups. Is this worrying? It's better that they remain in the game rather than in real life, but I wouldn't object if that sort of thing became less popular. But I was into toy guns when I was a kid. Each person needs to go through whatever stage he happens to be in.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #66
blackmyth
eats people.

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't even think about it like that and didn't think anyone would make a big deal out of it. I'm not saying chick flicks are bad, just that they rarely contain violence.

EDIT: And of course, I was overly simplfying the issue.
You still don't seem to get why something like what I was talking about can irritate people, as notable by your repeated use of "chick flick". There are also far more games and movies/shows without guns than you seem to realize, most of which are not what you'd refer to as "chick games", or "chick flicks".

Last edited by blackmyth; 11-14-2008 at 06:07 PM. Reason: removing something due to paranoia
Old 11-13-2008, 09:56 PM   #67
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
You still don't seem to get why something like what I was talking about can irritate people, as notable by your repeated use of "chick flick". There are also far more games and movies/shows without guns than you seem to realize, most of which are not what you'd refer to as "chick games", or "chick flicks".
Dude, I admitted I was being overly simplistic in my view at the time. What I meant was that, to do away with guns in society completely (and show kids that they aren't "cool"), a REALLY, REALLY large portion of Hollywood movies would have to be censored and not allowed to be created, because that's what [many] Americans have come to enjoy in action movies. Aight?

Last edited by TyTBone; 11-13-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #68
Baconstrips
AKA "Pramtrade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmay View Post
On gun control: Really, the only effective method of gun control is to actually shut down all gun manufacturers and confiscate all known guns. This makes it impossible to get guns honestly or crookedly, unless you join the military, and it'd be awfully hard to murder someone that way (obviously outside of actually fighting in a war).
This is not true because people ALWAYS will find a way. Whether it's from another country, or hidden gun, or stolen gun that you don't know they have or something. You CAN'T recall all the guns ever made, AND keep all guns from coming in to the United States. Plus, like was said earlier, if everyone had guns, the murderers wouldn't want to fight to many people because they would have guns to defend. If you didn't allow any guns at all, the determined criminals would find SOME way to get them, then can open fire at whoever they want because no one can defend themselves. (These are the two extremes BTW. Nether one is good, but not taking away the guns is better in my opinion.)
Baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #69
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconstrips View Post
This is not true because people ALWAYS will find a way.
Well, it would require MASSIVE, MASSIVE efforts, but, theoretically, I suppose it could be possible if the next few generations are all the kind of people I've seen making YouTube comments. :P [Again, generalizing.]
Old 11-14-2008, 06:14 PM   #70
blackmyth
eats people.

While it wasn't a matter of simplicity, I'm about to leave for the weekend, so I won't try to get my point across, as it doesn't seem like it will be understood in the near future.

Last edited by blackmyth; 11-14-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #71
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
While it wasn't a matter of simplicity, I'm about to leave for the weekend, so I won't try to get my point across, as it doesn't seem like it will be understood in the near future.
I guess I don't see why you're so offended by the phrase "chick flick" (and why this seems to be such a big deal to you). Even women use that phrase to describe the genre.

Or are you referring more to guns in movies?

Last edited by TyTBone; 11-14-2008 at 08:16 PM.