Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017
Old 12-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms
 
.Blue Dwarf.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Saving the World, one pond at a time.
Posts: 1,443
Default Merry.... Nevermind...

Seeings as today was the last day of school for me before winter break, I thought I'd tell my friend Merry Christmas.

So when I told him, this random kid pops up from behind me and says that I can't say Merry Christmas in a public school.

The teacher agreed with him too(He(the teacher) would later sway to my side as I argued)

What the heck is wrong with people? Where's my freedom of speech!
Besides, why shouldn't I be able to say Christmas in school?(Especially if I'm only talking to my friends)

Eh, what else should I expect from a class that had an average of 55% on a test(I got 96%)



Anyway, I can't stay mad for long, I get two weeks off! And Christmas!
Yay!
__________________
Eh. Have some smilies I guess.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 12-19-2008 at 09:35 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #2
Ubernoob
Dumb Person
 
Ubernoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 759
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

What is going on? Can't say Merry Christmas? What would the penalty be, anyway? And why would anyone possibly object to Merry Christmas? Is that supposed to be because religious sentiments are not allowed in school? Give me a break. Christmas is totally secular nowadays.
__________________
Ubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:11 AM   #3
LoonyBoy
Banned
 
LoonyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 388
Send a message via MSN to LoonyBoy Send a message via Yahoo to LoonyBoy
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

What? Thats crazy!
LoonyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
yourter12
forever gone
 
yourter12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: octopus
Posts: 1,354
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

It seems like the school is turning on you. I don't know.
__________________
yourter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect
 
CheeseLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The dead center of the universe.
Posts: 1,590
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Legally, there's nothing to stop students from saying "Merry Christmas." That would be a restriction of freedom of religion. After all, "As long is there is testing, there will be prayer in public schools." There is a problem is when a school forces religion upon someone. That's when it starts to violate the rules about separation of church and state. Not when the students express themselves.
__________________
There is often a method to the madness, but always a madness to the method.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.

Last edited by CheeseLord; 12-20-2008 at 10:38 AM.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Where's my freedom of speech!
Let's face it: there is none. In schools, in workplaces, there are ALWAYS rules about what you can and can't say. If people actually honored Freedom of Speech, you'd go to a school and hear teachers swearing at their students, etc. But people don't like it when you say your mind, so you can't.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #7
Sillyman
Does not exist. Fnord.
 
Sillyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Nonexistent
Posts: 1,392
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Let's face it: there is none. In schools, in workplaces, there are ALWAYS rules about what you can and can't say. If people actually honored Freedom of Speech, you'd go to a school and hear teachers swearing at their students, etc. But people don't like it when you say your mind, so you can't.
Here's the thing: You don't have to use inappropriate language. Students can make whatever statement they want, they just have to be careful of their words. As for the workplace... it's something they waived when they voluntarily chose to took the job. Furthermore, if they have something they really need to say, they can, depending on the policy, say it through another channel, or quit and say it, which isn't a problem if it's something quite negative about their employer.
__________________
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCS/M d- s: a--- C++ UL P L+++(+) E- W++ N o+ K? w O? M V? PS PE Y PGP- t+ 5? X? R>+ tv+ b+>++ DI+@ D(---) G e->++++ !h r? y?
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
Blaaaah.

Last edited by Sillyman; 12-21-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Sillyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #8
TyTBone
College Boi
 
TyTBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 2,067
Smile Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Merry Christmas!

Happy Hanukkah!

Pleasent Kwanzaa!

[Generic "Happy Holidays!"]

Truthfully, I have nothing new to add, except that it angers me when teachers who preach tolerance [I'm guessing he would] don't show it for "mainstream" religions or holidays or whatever. :P C'mon, freedom of speech, where it's appropriate! [AKA, Jamul owns the Hamumu forum, so it's limited.]

EDIT: Oh, and of course CL was talking about public schools. Private schools [mostly] have the right to be designated to a specific religion.
__________________
Siggy!
(I just read the sig, what a throwback)

Last edited by TyTBone; 12-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
Mr.Onion
Evil, random-voting vegetable
 
Mr.Onion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Down at the shore where there's no-one vacationing.
Posts: 4,862
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Quote:
Truthfully, I have nothing new to add, except that it angers me when teachers who preach tolerance [I'm guessing he would] don't show it for "mainstream" religions or holidays or whatever.
Tolerance =/= Support. I tolerate Hindus, but don't celebrate Divali, since I don't believe in the point of it.
__________________

Last edited by Mr.Onion; 12-21-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Mr.Onion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms
 
.Blue Dwarf.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Saving the World, one pond at a time.
Posts: 1,443
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

EDIT: Blast, the computer didn't send my message before I left on my Sunday routines! Triple ninja I guess. Well, double because Mr. O's post doesn't apply to this at all.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Let's face it: there is none. In schools, in workplaces, there are ALWAYS rules about what you can and can't say. If people actually honored Freedom of Speech, you'd go to a school and hear teachers swearing at their students, etc. But people don't like it when you say your mind, so you can't.
You see freedom of speech very differently than I do.
You can say anything you want in a private place.
You could even curse the president.

And it doesn't have to be in a private place either, if you think about it.


But there are other rules that apply. For example, you can't make threats against the president(Or anyone really) for obvious reasons(PM me if you would like me to elaborate on that)
Or atleast you shouldn't, I guess there isn't anything stopping you though. Someone might attack you yelling terrorist if you do threaten the Pres. though.
Happy know Mr. O?


And your example is flawed:
Swearing at someone is verbally assulting them(or something like that...), therefore not allowed in school, and I'm sure there are other ways to get your point out than swearing.
So really, there is alot of free speech, if you choose the right words and so on.

So yes, there are ALWAYS rules, but most rules can be bypassed in this sense.



But wait, earlier didn't I say I didn't have free speech? Oops... Oh well,
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
And a Happy New Year!
And various other holidays that I don't celebrate(Kwanza, (C?)Hanukkah, etc.)
__________________
Eh. Have some smilies I guess.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 12-21-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Mr. Onion points out the lack of rule for threatening the president.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
TyTBone
College Boi
 
TyTBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 2,067
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
Tolerance =/= Support. I tolerate Hindus, but don't celebrate Divali, since I don't believe in the point of it.
The teacher didn't have to support Christmas, but he could at least tolerate something so simple as saying "Merry Christmas". As South Park put it, just because you tolerate something doesn't mean you have to like it.
__________________
Siggy!
(I just read the sig, what a throwback)
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
cyberclone42
I'm not here.
 
cyberclone42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: no
Posts: 1,685
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

I think the reason is because it might offend jewish people.
__________________
cyberclone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins
 
PlasmaCannonsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: An overly-cliche'd fantasy world called Earth.
Posts: 2,532
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

I haven't sued Disney for the production of horrible music yet .

Anyhow, being unable to say "Merry Christmas" at school would be a major issue. Ah well. Just say it anyways. The goverment can't do anything without breaking the First Amendment.
__________________
Sigs are for the weak.
PlasmaCannonsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #14
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms
 
.Blue Dwarf.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Saving the World, one pond at a time.
Posts: 1,443
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
I think the reason is because it might offend jewish people.
If it offends them, then they are just being dumb. Unless I guess if you go up to them specifically and tell them merry christmas... Might be abit offensive I guess.

Really, saying it to my friends shouldn't offend them. It's just a holiday. I can accept their holiday, I have Jewish friends too and they seem to not mind me talking about Christmas, much less me saying merry christmas to my other friends.(I imagine it would be offensive if I said merry christmas to a jewish person though...)

Ohhhh... Revelation... *Edits the first part*
__________________
Eh. Have some smilies I guess.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 12-21-2008 at 07:08 PM. Reason: The last(Hopefully) in a long series of edits...
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Coolguy
Couch Potato
 
Coolguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Dumbopolis
Posts: 5,926
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Trying to suppress stuff like that is silly... How can anybody be offended by somebody wishing you a good holiday!? If somebody really was offended by a mention of Christmas, then there's no way they're going to avoid getting offended at this time of year.
__________________
T&T- New Region!

Last edited by Coolguy; 12-21-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #16
TyTBone
College Boi
 
TyTBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 2,067
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolguy View Post
Trying to suppress stuff like that is silly... How can anybody be offended by somebody wishing you a good holiday!? If somebody really was offended by a mention of Christmas, then there's no way they're going to avoid getting offended at this time of year.
Religious connotations and what not. Bleh, they're probably Communists anyways.
__________________
Siggy!
(I just read the sig, what a throwback)
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #17
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.
Moderator
 
sonicchaos1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Definately not behind you
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

All this talk about the Freedom of Speech reminds me, have any of you ever seen a 1st Amendment zone? In the Great Smoky Mountains once, my family was at a ranger station and outside there were signs that said, "First Amendment Zone
Right of Free Speech observed here" or something like that (I don't remember the exact words).
__________________

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #18
TyTBone
College Boi
 
TyTBone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MD
Posts: 2,067
Default Re: Merry.... Nevermind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
All this talk about the Freedom of Speech reminds me, have any of you ever seen a 1st Amendment zone? In the Great Smoky Mountains once, my family was at a ranger station and outside there were signs that said, "First Amendment Zone
Right of Free Speech observed here" or something like that (I don't remember the exact words).
[controversial] Even the KKK has the right to free speech, and we have to tolerate that. [/controversial]

(Not that I believe in what they stand for; I'm just being controversial.)
__________________
Siggy!
(I just read the sig, what a throwback)

Last edited by TyTBone; 12-22-2008 at 01:55 PM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Merry Christmas Megadog General Blabber 15 12-28-2010 08:22 PM
Merry Christmas gee74 Costume Party 14 12-27-2009 03:48 PM
Merry Christmas! Julian General Blabber 33 12-27-2008 01:31 PM
I am trying to do something nevermind this thread Pumpkineater Total Mayhem 2 05-05-2008 03:18 PM
Nevermind Pumpkineater Total Mayhem 6 03-08-2008 09:59 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.