Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #61
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Default Re: Is anyone here concerned about this?

I find it fascinating that there has been such a recent flurry of activity on this thread in the last day or so. I myself watched a bit of an alarmist piece on our TV news last night. It was clear that although nothing really serious is happening yet, they wanted to upset us anyway. As someone above already pointed out, the media basically tells us when we should be worried. Well I've had a lingering cold for a few weeks now, and it could be swine flu for all I know, but I absolutely refuse to worry. Is this rational? I think so.

When you start hearing about a shortage of ambulances and hearses and places to store the dead, that's when it's time to worry.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #62
chaucer
Chaucertastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackieWatty View Post
I actually find all of the hype quite amusing, as people panic rather stupidly. I mean, if you're going to catch something, you're going to catch it; if you're not, you're not.
If everyone on Earth read that part of your post, the world would probably be a better place for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob View Post
I find it fascinating that there has been such a recent flurry of activity on this thread in the last day or so. I myself watched a bit of an alarmist piece on our TV news last night. It was clear that although nothing really serious is happening yet, they wanted to upset us anyway. As someone above already pointed out, the media basically tells us when we should be worried. Well I've had a lingering cold for a few weeks now, and it could be swine flu for all I know, but I absolutely refuse to worry. Is this rational? I think so.

When you start hearing about a shortage of ambulances and hearses and places to store the dead, that's when it's time to worry.
1st part: Same as to WW's
2nd par: That's a bit... grim. But true, nonetheless. Don't forget a shortage of medicine.
"I'm really looking forward to that date [12/21/12] so I can laugh at them when the world doesn't end." ~SpiderPumpkin
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:18 PM   #63
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by WackieWatty View Post
I don't really care how big the number is; I was just asking Megadog to name all of them. What did you expect me to say? "Please name all more than 70000 diseases"? That makes no sense!
It's quite tedious to say so many, but examples include AIDS, malaria, cancer, etc...
(And by "that aren't pandemics" I meat the government seems to be forgetting them. What better way than to hype up an almost completely harmless disease?)
Old 06-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #64
TyTBone
College Boi

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is my motto when it comes to certain diseases. While I appreciate what scientists are doing, trying to cure for the good of mankind, I also think that avoiding stuff that causes those diseases is more efficient and cost-effective. [For example, if your family has a history of alcoholism, avoid drinking; a simple and stupid example, but I think you get what I'm saying.] Of course, people are born with issues, and I appreciate science for trying to cure those.

Whoa, sorry for the off-topicness. Long threads have a tendency to do that. :P
Old 06-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #65
WackieWatty
The Hard Hat, MWAHAHA!

Location: Doing a groovy dance at the Construction Site, Dumbopolis.
Send a message via MSN to WackieWatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
It's quite tedious to say so many, but examples include AIDS, malaria, cancer, etc...
(And by "that aren't pandemics" I meat the government seems to be forgetting them. What better way than to hype up an almost completely harmless disease?)
Believe it or not, AIDS, I just found, actually is a pandemic. Quite a scary thought, really.

I suppose that governments, etc could be blamed for hyping it up so much, but as I've already mentioned, I think really the people who believe everything they get told and don't actually think for themselves should be blamed for the widespread panic. It's important that, when a virus ends up widespread in such a short amount of time, resutling in a pandemic, people are educated as to the effects of the virus and the best way to protect themselves. For example, we've been constantly reminded to wash our hands frequently and always sneeze and cough into tissues.

EDIT: Yay! 1500 posts. I reached 1000 ages ago, but seem to have been posting less and less over the last couple of years.

Last edited by WackieWatty; 06-13-2009 at 03:04 AM.
WackieWatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #66
Wesley
Walks on Lava, Drowns in Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is my motto when it comes to certain diseases. While I appreciate what scientists are doing, trying to cure for the good of mankind, I also think that avoiding stuff that causes those diseases is more efficient and cost-effective. [For example, if your family has a history of alcoholism, avoid drinking; a simple and stupid example, but I think you get what I'm saying.] Of course, people are born with issues, and I appreciate science for trying to cure those.

Whoa, sorry for the off-topicness. Long threads have a tendency to do that. :P
Perhaps, but people are already infected, so should we just abandon them? Plus a cure is forever and will usually always work, unless the virus mutates. Prevention usually does a good job of stopping it from spreading, but sometimes it is unavoidable to catch something. Sometimes it's just a matter of luck. Someone who takes all the precautions could become infected, while somebody who doesn't do anything might not get infected. Although the chances are increased if you don't protect yourself, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaucer View Post
Eh, I'm not worried. Most people who get it survive, unless they're elderly (say, maybe 75+), incredibly young (less than, say, 3) or have bad immune systems. There are some exceptions, but it's not anything to freak out about.
Actually, the Swine Flu targets healthy young adults the most. The medium age of those who have caught it is 15, according to scientists. I'm not sure if that's the medium age of those who have died too, however.
20:54:02 [Moltanem2000] Socrates was mortal, cats are mortal, thus socrates is a cat
20:54:12 [SpaceManiac] What sort of game would you want to play that has "Health and Welfare" as its topic
20:54:28 [Redbone] AN FPS PLS
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #67
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Perhaps, but people are already infected, so should we just abandon them?
Of course not. I was thinking of diseases that can be more easily prevented or just where people had a choice. Lung cancer caused by smoking, those diseases caused by transmission, etc. I'm just being obvious, but I don't think enough people take "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" seriously enough.

Last edited by TyTBone; 06-13-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: gramma
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:08 PM   #68
Shark
In the River

Exclamation It's not that bad...

First of all Influenza H1N1 A (The Swine Flu) has milder symptoms than the normal Flu. It is just way more contagious than normal Flu. Second of all my whole family has H1N1!!! It's not bad at all. 5-7 days and your out of it (3-5 if you take TamiFlu). You start out with a fever and then get a cough. The cough can shorten your breath but goes away after about 2 days. Only people with existing health problems (heart, liver, etc.) have a good chance of dying. These people are high-risk people and have to take medicine. Like that woman that was pregnant and had heart problems. Even though it is a pandemic people who get it now will have a resistance and it the fall when it comes back stronger. If anyone has H1N1 it is simple:

1: Keep hydrated that will help with the cough.
2: Don't run around alot.
3: Don't go anywhere until you are better.
4: If you need food or medicine just ask a friend to get you some.

And like I said it's not that bad. Just you don't want to get in the fall.

Shark
Old 06-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #69
fourwind
Lord of Blobs

Um....Half of my school was gone the day before the last day.
WHY? Swine flu.
Yup. BUT IM IMMUNE TO IT.
Seriously! I could inject this stuff into my blood stream and id survive.
Not....That id do that. but yeah im immune to it pretty much.
ya know why? Every time someone is sick, i dont get sick. Im not a person who gets anything from a contagus person.
EVER.
why? I don know.

fourwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #70
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwind View Post
Seriously! I could inject this stuff into my blood stream and id survive.
wondering if 4wind knows what an inoculation is.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #71
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
AIDS
AIDS doesn't kill you! You can't even catch it! You ctach HIV, which gives you AIDS! And then it weakens your immune system so other things kill you!

Last edited by hyperme; 06-15-2009 at 12:32 PM.
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #72
chaucer
Chaucertastic!

Actually, in some parts of Africa (IIRC), if someone with AIDS has even a minuscule cut on their hand an you shake their hand and you have the slightest cut (any place where it could get significantly beneath your skin), you can catch AIDS. That simple. Though it may be you just get HIV.
"I'm really looking forward to that date [12/21/12] so I can laugh at them when the world doesn't end." ~SpiderPumpkin
chaucer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #73
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

You catch the HIV. I'll explain:

1. You catch HIV
2. The HIV infects your white blood cells, unlike other infections
3. The HIV does what viruses do, expecct on WBCs.
4. This redcues their amount.
5. Finally, since WBCs are the maion part of your immune system, you develop AIDS

Say with me: You can't catch AIDS! If another people metios catching AIDS or dieing from it, I'll go (even more) crazy!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #74
tashab
Dumb Person

ummm, well to be honest i don't think ppl should worry that much or panic about the swine flu BUT they should definitely take the necessary precautions to limit chances of becoming infected as this will curtail its spread.

in my country there are 8 cases so far in a population of 1.3 million, and i'm sure its only going to increase as not many ppl are paying much attention to this virus, sadly.

oh and to chaucer, u really can't 'catch' AIDS, u get infected with HIV, which develops into AIDS.

oh an for this whole 2012 business, i don't believe in it one bit but i guess we'll all just hafta wait 2see...
tashab is offline   Reply With Quote