Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #21
diginova
Dumb Person

Default Re: C-c-c-college

For my university senior project, we have no clue if it is physically possible.
It's been theoretically proven in five doctoral theses in the last three years, but that doesn't really mean it can be done.

diginova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:26 AM   #22
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Intirguing, Diginova, but not really enough to go on. Could you be more specific?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #23
diginova
Dumb Person

It has to do with propagation of wireless signals underwater; namely, making a sensor that will transmit wireless data from up to 10m underwater to the surface.

The problem with that is that in order to make the device's power usage small enough, the frequency would have to be in the range of 100Hz. At that frequency, the quarter-wave antenna would then need to be 750 miles long, which isn't feasible.

However, if you use meta-materials and make the entire shell a directional antenna, the required antenna length decreases greatly.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:31 PM   #24
drgamer
Lynch: Drgamer

How about bending the antenna to be in a 'pattern'. This guy did it to get around the 'No attenas on the roof' or something in the apartment he was in. It actually made it pick up a broader range of signals.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #25
AtkinsSJ
Legs sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja of Frozen Milk View Post
So essentially Kindergarden is like year 1 in GB?
Yep. We have a year before that called 'Reception', as you start school when you're 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginova View Post
From what I understand, sixth form is generically junior/senior year in high school (grades 11 and 12), while A-levels are specifically when you're taking advanced classes, such as taking AP or IB classes in the US.
I'm still finding comparing the systems confusing, but I think I've got it:
Sixth form is indeed your junior/senior years. It's non-compulsory, and it's named so because you would start it in your sixth year of high school. For those two years you do A-levels, or A-level equivalents, and you can alternatively study A-levels in a college:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia, again!
In the United States and Ireland, for example, the terms 'college' and 'university' may be regarded as loosely interchangeable, whereas in the United Kingdom, Australia and other Commonwealth countries, a 'college' is usually an institution between school and university level (although constituent schools within universities are also known as 'colleges').
As such, a sixth form that's separate from a school can also be refered to as a sixth-form college.

Blimey, all this is complicated and confusing. And Scotland's system is different as well.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:09 PM   #26
diginova
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsSJ View Post
I'm still finding comparing the systems confusing, but I think I've got it:
Sixth form is indeed your junior/senior years. It's non-compulsory, and it's named so because you would start it in your sixth year of high school. For those two years you do A-levels, or A-level equivalents, and you can alternatively study A-levels in a college:
The other difference is that AP/IB here is not required, but two more generic years of school is compulsory if you want to get into college. If you aren't looking at college, you are not even mandated to take high school (4th Form +)

So UK schools require complicated classes, while in the US, you can just take normal, easy classes for the last two years. No wonder the US education system is slipping.