Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017
Old 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM   #161
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Default Re: Debating Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Onion View Post
Of course not; You nuke whichever country attacked you and use your conventional weaponry to wipe out the invading force.

Fortunately, neither of these countries have long-range nuclear missiles. The only country that does and has any disagreement with the US is, AFAIK, Russia.
Yeah, but Russia, as far as I know, is on pretty friendly terms with the US now, since they aren't "DARNED COMMIES!!!".
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:13 AM   #162
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

But you can never trust the Russians. They are still a lot more commie than we are. And they would love to dominate if they had the chance. But I agree that we really don't have to worry about them the way we used to, back in Krushchev "We will bury you!" days.
Old 01-24-2010, 06:07 PM   #163
Baconstrips
AKA "Pramtrade"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob View Post
In my opinion, the U.S. has such a strong military not because it wants to defend itself, but because it wants to dominate the rest of the world.
This is NOT what we're doing. Otherwise we'd have taken over Canada and Mexico before a ton of places overseas.
Baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #164
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Canada and Mexico are completely dominated by the U.S., both politically and more important economically. In Canada there is massive U.S. control of our resources and the companies that develop them. Culturally there is almost no difference between us, much as Canadians would love there to be; we function as a region of North America. And I have heard that the North American Free Trade Agreement, (NAFTA) is essentially being used as a stepping stone to political union in North America along the European model. The U.S. doesn't need to use its military to dominate us, because we have already been conquered by other means. The same is true of many countries in the world; the military capability is essentially plan B for countries, like Iraq, who were refusing to play ball the U.S. way otherwise.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #165
Baconstrips
AKA "Pramtrade"

Lol that is soo far from true. Being an important country is far from trying to take over the world. Trading with another country is a bit different than taking them over...
Baconstrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #166
seamonkey
spoon eater

personally I think that the us federal government should substantially increase all social services for people living in poverty in the us, costing about 4 20 trillion dollars. (I actually debate as a sport, and that's my case)
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #167
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Is this a new topic? What is the cut-off for poverty? Who gets included, all U.S. citizens? What about the illegals?