Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017
Old 06-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #41
Megadog
The Demagogue

Default Re: BP Oil Spill

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
I'm opposed to punishing the people who wee on the rig, as you don't know if they could of stopped the distaster. The workers could of been unaware that there was a problem. Was the problem on the area of the rig people could access, or lower down?
It was underground underwater. There was no way to fix it, and they didn't know that it didn't work. It was a complete accident.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #42
Ufo-Man
Red is MAH color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
They'll pump as much oil as they can off the surface of the water(which will probably be most of it). They can't just let it sit there, for 2 reasons: 1. they'd lose all of it and 2. the environment.
Actually, there could be as much oil underwater as there is on the shore, in big underwater plumes as much as 4,000 ft underwater

Ufo-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #43
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufo-Man View Post
Actually, there could be as much oil underwater as there is on the shore, in big underwater plumes as much as 4,000 ft underwater
You need to remember density: oil is less dense than water, therefore it will float. Which means eventually it'll reach the top of the water, and if that's anywhere BP can predict they'll be waiting for it as soon as they can get people there.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #44
Ufo-Man
Red is MAH color!

Actually, It is pretty much invisible, and near impossible to track, so the amount underwater is never going to be returned.

Old 06-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #45
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufo-Man View Post
Actually, It is pretty much invisible, and near impossible to track, so the amount underwater is never going to be returned.
Due to the density difference, you just need the right piece of tech to track the oil. And it floats. And water is blue, while oil is black. And there are plenty of ways to sepaate liquids.

Yeah, you can recover quite a bit if you know how.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #46
Ufo-Man
Red is MAH color!

But it wouldn't be worth the money to recover it.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:07 PM   #47
happystickman
Back From the Dead

If Saudi Arabia keeps jacking up oil prices, eventually it might be.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #48
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Actually, it is. The more they recover, the more they can sell, and there is a LOT to recover. If they recover 90% of it they'll make a huge profit.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #49
happystickman
Back From the Dead

The have to recover it and filter all of the water out, it would be very costly.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #50
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

But the more they recover, the less they have to burn off and the less that will wash up on beaches. Some of it does disperse and seems to sort of get absorbed by the sea, but the more recovered the better. And who cares about the cost? BP deserves to pay and if they have to, pay big for a cleanup. And for the future all companies drilling at sea need to have serious and workable plans to deal with a spill.

BTW, my Dad was an engineer in the oil industry for many years before he retired. He tells me the industry is infamous for being cavalier about things like backup plans for disasters, and for not implementing new technologies. So they need to grow up and stop being such macho twerps and risking all that environmental damage, IMO.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #51
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubernoob View Post
But the more they recover, the less they have to burn off and the less that will wash up on beaches. Some of it does disperse and seems to sort of get absorbed by the sea, but the more recovered the better. And who cares about the cost? BP deserves to pay and if they have to, pay big for a cleanup. And for the future all companies drilling at sea need to have serious and workable plans to deal with a spill.

BTW, my Dad was an engineer in the oil industry for many years before he retired. He tells me the industry is infamous for being cavalier about things like backup plans for disasters, and for not implementing new technologies. So they need to grow up and stop being such macho twerps and risking all that environmental damage, IMO.
my thoughts exactly, especially the whole "BP deserves to pay...for a cleanup."
Old 06-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #52
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

The government should make sure that BP pays for the cleanup, but any fines outside that? No way. In this economy, we can't risk taking money out of the economy. Fining BP could result in layoffs.

I think that BP will clean it up, though, as 1) bad press = not good for a business and 2) oil spill = increased costs = increased gas price at BP stations = less customers = less sales = less profits.

And yes, that is a lot of equal signs.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #53
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
Due to the density difference, you just need the right piece of tech to track the oil. And it floats. And water is blue, while oil is black. And there are plenty of ways to sepaate liquids.

Yeah, you can recover quite a bit if you know how.
Oil i less dense than water. Try it, get a glass, half fill with water and put a spoon of oil in it. mix. the oil will go to the top and you will find it easy enough to take out just the oil.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #54
Megadog
The Demagogue

He's actually saying exactly that.

However, there is still the difference between oil for cars, cooking oil, and crewed oil.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:01 AM   #55
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Mmm, I know, but not much.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #56
Pumpkineater
Sonic Rainboom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
The government should make sure that BP pays for the cleanup, but any fines outside that? No way. In this economy, we can't risk taking money out of the economy. Fining BP could result in layoffs.

I think that BP will clean it up, though, as 1) bad press = not good for a business and 2) oil spill = increased costs = increased gas price at BP stations = less customers = less sales = less profits.

And yes, that is a lot of equal signs.
More fines? Absolutely. This environmental destruction is solely BP's fault, and I do believe they should pay more, for two reasons:
- Assuming the fine will be huge, more money will go to the government, slowing down the need of extra taxes a bit.
- It will scare other companies and cause them to be more careful in the future.
Pumpkineater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #57
CheeseLord
No One Is Perfect

I am always fascinated by the order of people's priorities. Finding the right punishment shouldn't even be a consideration at this point. That can be done at some point in the future, when the problem is solved. For now, the issue should take precedence. Fix the problem, then worry about who to blame for it.

In this case, there are two problems that need to addressed. We need to repair the pipe, and we need to clean up the oil that has been spilled. The first is made difficult by the depth. At a mile below the surface, the pressure prevents humans from directly accessing the hole. The pipe was initially built using specialized robots, and virtually any repair would require those to be modified. However, these modifications take time, and meanwhile oil continues to pour out.

Cleaning the oil is another issue. I've discussed this one in my organic chemistry course, so I know some of the necessary chemistry. The oil is composed of a wide variety of hydrocarbon chains. The small ones aren't really an issue, as they can readily evaporate. The large ones, though, have a much higher flash point, so they can't easily be burned away. The chemicals necessary to break these chains into smaller ones are highly toxic, and therefore cannot be introduced to the environment. Clearing oil from water is other contexts is easy with soap (that's one thing washing your hands does), but the soap is almost as bad for the ecosystem as the oil. If the oil rises to the surface, it can be absorbed by a spongy material of some sort (I've heard they're considering hair), but then we would need enough of that material to absorb millions of gallons of oil, and we would need to dispose of the material. Another approach under consideration is oil-eating bacteria.

Without loss of generality, assume I am a squirrel.

I'm not an actor, I just play one on TV.
CheeseLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #58
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Whats more toxic, Oil or The stuff needed to break it down?
Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #59
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
More fines? Absolutely. This environmental destruction is solely BP's fault, and I do believe they should pay more, for two reasons:
- Assuming the fine will be huge, more money will go to the government, slowing down the need of extra taxes a bit.
- It will scare other companies and cause them to be more careful in the future.
BP is already losing business from the bad press, and they are already losing money from the spill and cleanup. Further fines may scare other companies, but it could also result in layoffs at BP. Currently, people having jobs is more important than the government having money.

Futhermore, you can't say that BP caused this. It was a complete accident. Nobody had any idea that it would happen, and BP was trying to close it off shortly after the spill began.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM   #60
Ubernoob
Dumb Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseLord View Post
... If the oil rises to the surface, it can be absorbed by a spongy material of some sort (I've heard they're considering hair), but then we would need enough of that material to absorb millions of gallons of oil, and we would need to dispose of the material. Another approach under consideration is oil-eating bacteria.
The spongy stuff can be squeezed to remove the oil, then reused. I saw a demonstration of a device which does this on a show called Daily Planet. Unfortunately BP reportedly said they weren't interested in that technology because it hadn't been proven yet. Disappointing.