Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 16, 2017
Old 04-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #61
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Default Re: DRP #1

Today's DERP is:

The International Union of Architects (Union internationale des Architectes, or UIA) is an international non-governmental organization that represents over a million architects in 124 countries.[1] The UIA was founded in Lausanne, Switzerland, in 1948. The General Secretariat is located in Paris. It is recognized by most United Nations agencies as the only association in its field, including UNESCO, UNCHS, ESOSOC, UNIDO, and the World Health Organization, as well as the WTO. The current president is Louise Cox from Australia.

I feel a connection to this article, since my dad was/is an architect (he only really designs kitchens now, though if someone approached him and offered him money to build a building, I'm sure he'd gladly accept). Though, the article itself isn't too amazing. Its all prizes and congresses, so I'm forced to end this commentary here.

Cya tomorrow for another DERP!
Humility is the mark of a true warrior/cool person
ElMikkino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:52 PM   #62
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Lots of surprises today, when I got home, I thought we were doing nothing, but actually, we (my family) were going to an art show my sister was in, and then when my mom and I tried to leave the parking lot, ticket shenanigans happened, and we ended up buying food to get a discount on the parking, and not have to get the paid ticket from the machine, which wasn't working. So, we finally got home, my mom drove somewhere else, and I was about to write this when my dad and sister got home, and my sis had a DVD of some anime she liked, so I watched a few episodes, but I just stopped watching it, since it wasn't too interesting, and here I finally am.

Today's DERP is:

Haurietis aquas (Latin: "You will draw waters") is a landmark encyclical of Pope Pius XII. Written on May 15, 1956, it was attached to the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus by Pope Pius IX. The title is derived from Isaiah 12:3, a verse which alludes to the abundance of the supernatural graces which flow from the heart of Christ. Haurietis aquas made the whole Church, and not merely the Jesuits, recognize the Sacred Heart as an important dimension a Christian spirituality.

Wait...WHA!? I don't follow any religion, so I don't know much of what they're talking about at all...on to the next section...

Pius XII gave two reasons why the Church gives the highest form of worship to the Heart of Jesus. The first rests on the principle whereby the believers recognise that Jesus' Heart is hypostatically united to the "Person of the Incarnate Son of God Himself". The second reason is derived from the fact that the Heart is the natural sign and symbol of Jesus' boundless love for the humans. The encyclical recalls that for human souls the wound in Christ's side and the marks left by the nails have been "the chief sign and symbol of that love" that ever more incisively shaped their life from within.
The Pope describes several erroneous opinions regarding this devotion. There are those, who consider it burdensome and of little or no use to men. Others consider this devotion as a piety suited for women, and not for educated men. There are those who consider a devotion of this kind as primarily demanding penance, expiation and the other virtues which they call "passive," meaning thereby that they produce no external results. Hence they do not think it suitable to re-enkindle the spirit of piety in modern times [1] .The encyclical replies with Pope Pius XI: The veneration of the Sacred Heart is a summary of all our religion and, moreover, a guide to a more perfect life. It more easily leads our minds to know Christ the Lord intimately and more effectively turns our hearts to love Him more ardently and to imitate Him more perfectly." [2] Haurietis Aquas opines that the Sacred Heart never ceased, and never will cease, to beat with calm. It will never cease to symbolize the threefold love with which Jesus Christ is bound to His heavenly Father and the entire human race [3]
The Heart of Jesus Christ loves the human race but as a human and divine heart. It began to beat with love at once human and divine after the Virgin Mary generously pronounced her "Fiat";[4] The Sacred Heart of Jesus shares in a most intimate way in the life of the Incarnate Word, and is thus a kind of instrument of the Divinity. Therefore, "in the carrying out of works of grace and divine omnipotence, His Heart, no less than the other members of His human nature is a symbol of that unbounded love".

"The Heart of Jesus Christ loves the human race"? IT'S A HEART! I know its supposed to be abstract and all, but I can't believe this is from 1956...and there's a whole sidebar on the side of the article about all these articles about the Sacred Heart! WHAT!?

Before I get any more confused, and since the important part of the article's done, I'll get out of here and leave you with a quote:

After our Lord had ascended into heaven with His body adorned with the splendors of eternal glory and took His place by the right hand of the Father, He did not cease to remain with His Spouse, the Church, by means of the burning love with which His Heart beats. For He bears in His hands, feet and side the glorious marks of the wounds which manifest the threefold victory won over the devil, sin, and death

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-07-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #63
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Today's DERP is:

James Ray is a rock singer and band-leader, best known as a member of Andrew Eldritch's side-project The Sisterhood and for his own band James Rays Gangwar.
He was also a founding member of James Ray And The Performance, a goth rock band, The MK Ultra and his current band 4080peru.

Lots of bands for this singer. Lets go into more detail about them...

James Ray And The Performance

The Performance was a band started by James Ray and Carl Harrison. An early demo of tracks such as "Mexico Sundown Blues", "Dance" and "Edie Sedgwick" (the latter named after the actress) was sent to The Sisters of Mercy's record label, Merciful Release. The band were signed, and after Ray's contribution to The Sisterhood project "Gift", Merciful released the "Mexico Sundown Blues" single in July 1986.
The singles "Texas" and "Dust Boat" were also released on Merciful Release, followed by the compilation A New Kind Of Assassin.
The band's final line up included James Ray, Carl Harrison and Richard Harvey for the single release "Dustboat", which contained the B-side "A New Kind Of Assassin".

James Rays Gangwar

After The Performance, Ray formed James Rays Gangwar. The band were still contracted to Merciful for an album, so the band recorded the Dios Esta De Nuestro Lado LP, a more aggressive sounding album, still with the southwestern American influence, and a cover of Alvin Stardust's "[My] Coo Ca Choo" closing the album. The opening track, "Rev Rev Lowrider" was released as a single. Non-album tracks released as singles were "Fuel", "Another Million Dollars" and "Without Conscience".
After this, Gangwar released the Third Generation LP on Surgery Records, a much more techno-based album, with fewer guitars, and a more trance-like feel. The song "Fuelled Up" draws heavily from the earlier song "Fuel," which in turn borrows heavily from the melody of "Knock on Wood".
The final Gangwar album was Psychodalek.

The MK Ultra

After the release of Third Generation, Ray formed The MK Ultra, a solo effort, again releasing on Merciful Release. The first LP This Is This had a more dance-like feel than Third Generation, continuing to incorporate samples and Ray's own deep voice against the female backing vocals and techno rhythms. The first track, "Regeneration" is a remix of the title track from Third Generation.
After This Is This, Ray released Beluga Pop, a collection of ambient techno pieces, far removed from much of his earlier work. The MK Ultra did not release any singles.
Ray later wrote a novella entitled "Psychodalek" under the James Ray moniker, and released an album of the same name as a soundtrack to accompany the book. Both the novella and the album are currently available to download from his website.

Present day

In recent years, Gangwar have reformed, to play a handful of concerts, such as Wave-Gotik-Treffen.
A further ambient project, 4080Peru, was formed, writing long soundscapes. 4080Peru have also performed these tracks live. Ray is also currently working with the band 25men and still keeping up with Speedy Dave.

Ugh, trance music. Another type of music I don't like; too weird, slow, and confusing. Lets see if Google has a picture of James Ray:

Um...he's one of those two people, at least.

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-08-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #64
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

After my birthday yesterday, (yay me, 15!) today was my party at Laser Quest, a laser tag place. I didn't do too well, over the two games getting 14th and 12th, respectively. My friend completely surprised me, though, getting 2nd and then 1st, even though he doesn't have much experience with laser tag. He cited Call of Duty: Black Ops as the reason he did so well . Even my younger sister did way better than me (1st, then 5th). , but whatever. On to today's DERP:

Phomopsis lokoyae is a plant pathogen.

Great. Except for links, things naming it a stub, and the classification sidebar, that's the entire article. Yes, really. Well, we get to see who named it on the sidebar:

Phomopsis lokoyae
G.G. Hahn, (1933)

What an accomplishment, G.G. Hahn! I wonder what the G.G. stands for...Gregory Gerald?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #65
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

I went to another party today, for my friend's birthday. It consisted mostly of me, him, and 4 other people taking turns playing Halo: Reach, along with a bit of Magic: The Gathering playing. On to today's DERP:

Southern Seaplane Airport (IATA: BCS[2], FAA LID: 65LA) is an airport and seaplane base located two nautical miles (4 km) northwest of the central business district of Belle Chasse, in Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana, United States.

Airports! Next section!

Southern Seaplane Airport has one runway designated 2/20 with a 3,200 by 40 ft (975 x 12 m) asphalt pavement. It also has one seaplane landing area designated 2W/20W which measures 5,000 by 100 ft (1,524 x 30 m). There are 28 aircraft based at this airport: 89% single-engine and 11% multi-engine.[1]

Great!

Sorry for the briefness here, I don't know what to say, since I'm annoyed by my sister. Cya tomorrow for another DERP!

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-10-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #66
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

AAH! I FORGOT TO DO THE DERP AND MY SISTER'S GONNA GO TO BED ANY MINUTE NOW!!!

Bardol is a village in the southern state of Karnataka, India.[1][2] It is located in the Indi taluk of Bijapur district in Karnataka.

As we learned in an earlier DERP, a taluk is an adminastrative district. It shows on the map that Bardol is in the very north of Karnataka.

As of 2001 India census, Bardol had a population of 5537 with 2942 males and 2595 females.

Small place, at least by Ontarian standards.

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-11-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #67
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Today's DERP is:

Susan Shurin, M.D. is Acting Director of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) at the National Institutes of Health (NIH).

A doctor, I see. My grandfather was a doctor, he delivered babies. He died before I was born, though, since he could only sleep for an hour or two every day, and he overworked himself in the end, and he died of a heart attack.

Career

Dr. Shurin joined the NHLBI as Deputy Director in February 2006, coming from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. Between October and December 2009, Dr. Shurin assumed the role of Acting Director of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) while also serving as the Deputy Director of the NHLBI.
Before joining the NHLBI, Dr. Shurin was Professor of Pediatrics and Oncology at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio; Director of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology at Rainbow Babies & Children's Hospital; Director of Pediatric Oncology at the Case Comprehensive Cancer Center; and Vice President and Secretary of the Corporation at Case Western Reserve University.

Education and Research

Dr. Shurin received her education and medical training at Harvard University and the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Her laboratory research focused on the physiology of phagocyte function, recognition and killing of pathogens; mechanisms of hemolysis, red blood cell destruction; and iron overload, a serious chronic condition in which the body absorbs too much iron leading to a buildup in organ tissues.
She has been active in clinical research in many aspects of pediatric hematology-oncology, including participation in the Children’s Cancer Group (CCG), now the Children's Oncology Group, as well as multiple studies of sickle cell disease and hemostasis. She also served on the Executive Committee of the CCG and founded and chaired the CCG Bioethics Committee.

Memberships

Among other leadership efforts, Dr. Shurin serves on multiple NIH advisory panels. She has been on the boards or in leadership positions of numerous local and national professional organizations, including the American Board of Pediatrics. She is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics; the American Society of Hematology; the American Society of Pediatric Hematology‐Oncology; and the American Pediatric Society, where she is currently a member of the APS Council.

She's a pretty important doctor, I see. She is or was the head of lots of organizations for things I don't understand. She's so important, there's even a picture of her!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...san_Shurin.jpg

If you ever wanted to look at a doctor in great detail, there's your chance.

See you tomorrow for another DERP!

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-12-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #68
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Today's DERP is:

Neuenhaus may refer to several places in Germany:
  • Neuenhaus, a town in Lower Saxony
  • Neuenhaus (Samtgemeinde), a collective municipality in Lower Saxony
Yay, towns in Lower Saxony *sarcasm*! I'm guessing Neuenhaus means "New House". A bit less regal than the "New Castle"s in various places across England and the US. Let's look at the first place:

Neuenhaus is a town in the district of Grafschaft Bentheim in Lower Saxony, and is the seat of a like-named Joint Community (Samtgemeinde). Neuenhaus lies on the river Vechte near the border with the Kingdom of the Netherlands and is roughly 10 km northwest of Nordhorn, and 30 km north of Enschede.

I didn't expect this place to border the Netherlands, or be of any importance at all (it has almost 10,000 people living in it), but this article actually has a decent size !

Neuenhaus was founded in 1317 on the trade road between Münster and Amsterdam by Bentheim’s Count Johannes II, who also had a castle built for its security. The quickly growing new town was granted town rights in 1369. The town had at its disposal an Amt court and other authorities that were moved to the district seat of Nordhorn after the Second World War. Today’s town of Neuenhaus was enlarged in 1970 through the amalgamation of the formerly autonomous communities of Grasdorf, Hilten and Veldhausen, the last of which had already existed as early as the 10th century. By building two weirs on the Vechte and another on the river Dinkel, the flooding that had so often beset Neuenhaus in earlier years was brought under control.
The main street through Neuenhaus’s inner town has been dismantled since 2005 after a southwest bypass was built around the town.
Many old Ackerbürgerhäuser (roughly “gentleman farmers’ houses”) have been or are being renovated.
The town is especially interesting when explored by bicycle. The cycling paths are very well signposted (a roughly 250 km network throughout the district) and lead through meadows and woods as well as alongside the rivers Vechte and Dinkel. There are always more and more artistic projects along the paths to look at. Furthermore, the local gymnastic and sport club (known locally as the “TuS”, for “Turn- und Sportverein”), linked below, is celebrating its 100-year jubilee.

Veldhausen

The outlying centre of Veldhausen is actually a more than 1000-year-old parish village that has been amalgamated with the town of Neuenhaus since 1970. Nonetheless, Veldhausen has been able to keep some of its autonomy. There are roughly 2,200 villagers.
Veldhausen arose when farmers from the nearby communities of Esche, Grasdorf and Osterwald expressed a wish to have a place for their own new church, as it was too far for many to go to the church in Uelsen, and indeed even impossible in bad weather. Thus, a centrally located plot of unproductive land was sought, of the kind once known locally by the Dutch word veld, meaning “field” (Dutch was still used in officialdom in Veldhausen no more than 100 years ago). The first church is believed to have been built mainly of wood. Around this church over time settled craftsmen and gentleman farmers (Ackerbürger). Today’s stone Evangelical-Reformed church, along with the windmill and neighbouring mill park, counts itself among Veldhausen’s landmarks.
On the mill park grounds, the Brauchtum- und Mühlenverein – Tradition and Mill Club – have built an old miller’s house and a bakehouse. In the bakehouse, hobby bakers bake bread made out of the flour ground at the mill.

I find it funny that the history skips for 1369 all the way to the Second World War. 576 years is a very long time, y'know. A weir, is a small dam, by the way. It's also the last name of a Canadian golfer, so I like that I now know what his last name means.

Here's Neuenhaus's coat of arms:

I don't love it, but I don't find it absolutely garish, either. A red church looks kinda weird, though.

The other article is just a list of the communities surrounding Neuenhaus, so I'll end this DERP here. See you tomorrow!

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-13-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #69
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Today's DERP is:

Bhatpar Rani is a town and a tehsil in Deoria district in the state of Uttar Pradesh, India.

A tehsil is the same as a taluk, btw. What's with all these towns we've been getting recently? Meh, it could be worse. Here's the demographics for the town:

As of 2001 India census, Bhatpar Rani had a population of 12,494. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Bhatpar Rani is the Centre of education with Four prominent Schools and one postgraduate College. It has an average literacy rate of 63%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with male literacy of 72% and female literacy of 53%. 15% of the population is under 6 years of age. Banshi village is top in literacy where 80% people are literate followed by Piprahia with literacy rate being 76%.

Why is "Four" capitalized? Nothing really stands out to me in this section besides that, and that its too bad that literacy is so low compared to Canada in other countries.

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #70
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Will I get this DERP in on time? I have no idea! I went to a draft tonight, ended up with a 2 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw record. I also accidentally stole some basic lands, and made some good trades. Today's DERP:

The butterfly fish is the biggest fish in the river. The blue-cheeked butterflyfish, Chaetodon semilarvatus, is a species of butterflyfish (family Chaetodontidae). It is found in the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden, at depths of between 3 and 20 m.[1]
Its length is up to 23 cm (9.1 in). It is mostly yellow, with thin slate blue vertical lines on the sides and a slate blue cheek patch in lieu of the usual black eyestripe of most Chaetodon.
The blue-cheeked butterflyfish belongs to the large subgenus Rabdophorus which might warrant recognition as a distinct genus. In this group, it seems closest to a group containing the Blackback butterflyfish (C. melannotus), the spot-naped butterflyfish (C. oxycephalus), or the peculiar black-wedged butterflyfish (C. falcula) and Pacific double-saddle butterflyfish or "false falcula", (C. ulietensis). Though the present species does not share their white body with black on the back and caudal peduncle and even lacks the typical eyestripe of Chaetodon, it has the same tell-tale blue vertical lines as these species.

Hey, look! This page has been trolled (somewhat)! Well, I won't spoil his fun. Butterfly fishes are cool. They're some of my favourite fish to look at in aquariums, because of their weird kissy lips. Here's a picture of this particular species:

They look pretty nice, though I'm not digging the grey eye spots.

Made it in time, with 3 minutes to spare! Cya tomorrow for another DERP!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #71
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Well, I finally missed a day. If you're wondering where I was, first I was sleeping till 1:05, then getting my hair cut, then sorting cards, then eating, then more sorting and playing cards with myself, then playing cards with my sister, followed by watching Cars, and now its suddenly 18 minutes pased midnight. Dangnabbit! Now I'll start thinking the DERP isn't important, and maybe there won't even BE a DERP soon. I hope that doesn't happen...and why'd I say "dangnabbit"?

Anyways, yesterday's DERP:

Hygrochilus is a genus of flowering plants from the orchid family, Orchidaceae.

This is a little bit like that article a bit back, except its a little bit longer:
  • Hygrochilus parishii
    • Hygrochilus parishhii var. marriottianus
Those are the species. And that's the article! How exciting! Its a bit too late to give me a quickie this time, Wikipedia.

See you later today for another DERP!

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-16-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #72
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Please keep this up, some of these articles are interesting
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #73
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

I'm going to, I just hoped that I don't sub-consciously find myself not wanting to do this. Today's DERP:

The World Space Observatory - Ultraviolet (WSO-UV) is a proposed space telescope intended for work in the 110 nm to 320 nm wavelength range. The launch is planned for the end of 2012.

Ooh...telescopes...space...

The observatory

The main instrument of the observatory is 1.7-metre Ritchey-Chretien telescope. The telescope will be equipped by the following instruments:
  • HIRDES (High-Resolution Double Echelle Spectrograph): R~55000 spectroscopy of point sources in the 102-320 nm range (Germany)
  • LSS: Long-slit low-resolution (R~2500) spectroscopy in the 102-320 nm range
  • ISSIS (Imaging and Slitless Spectroscopy Instrument for Surveys) being developed to carry out UV and optical diffraction limited imaging of astronomical objects. The ISSIS incorporates three channels:High Sensitivity Far-UV Channel: 120-200 nm; Channel for Surveys (FUV): 120-600 nm, optimized for 120-270 nm; Channel for Surveys (UVO): 120-600 nm, optimized for 270-600 nm. (Spain)
Participating nations

This international project is led by Russia (Roskosmos). At present the international cooperation includes three basic participants: Russia ( will provide the telescope, spacecraft, launch facilities, ground segment); Spain (ISSIS, ground segment); Germany (spectrographs). Ukraine and Kazakhstan also participate the project.

Specs that I don't understand, and participating nations. There is one thing missing from this article, though: where this thing is gonna be built. Some of those countries are a long way from each other, and Russia's the biggest country on Earth!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #74
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Today's DERP:

Yengisar County is a county in the Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region in northwestern China. It is under the administration of the Kashgar Prefecture. It contains an area of 3,373 km2. As of the 2002 census, it had a population of 230,000.
The county seat is the city of Yengisar. It contains a notable knife factory.

A KNIFE FACTORY!? *cue bad slasher flick*

History

The Battle of Yangi Hissar took place there, In April 1934, Ma Zhancang led the Chinese Muslim 36th division to attack the Turkic muslim Uighur forces at Yangi Hissar, wiping out the entire Uighur force of 500, and killing the Emir Nur Ahmad Jan Bughra.[2][3]

Wildlife

The city of Yengisar gave its name to a lizard species, Yangihissar gecko (Cyrtopodion elongatum), which occurs throughout Eastern China.[1]

Transportation

Yengisar is served by China National Highway 315 and the Southern Xinjiang Railway.

Ooh! History! Lizards! Trains! With each of those words, I get a bit less excited. And that's a pretty small battle there.

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-18-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM   #75
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Sorry about the DERP, guys, but playing Pokemon White for the first time does that! Well here it is, better late than never:

The Sophia Blackmore Class is the answer of Methodist Girls' School to the Ministry of Education's Gifted Education Programme. The SBC seeks to address the needs of a group of pupils who have a different pace and learning profile. The SBC curriculum is modelled after the Gifted Education Programme (GEP) in consultation with renowned educators, like Sandra Kaplan, in the field of gifted and talented education.[1]
SBC pupils stand to benefit from the current strengths of an MGS education by being part of the overall school body, sharing in much of the mainstream's activities.
SBC started in 2005 with a batch of Primary 4 and Secondary 1 pupils. At the end of Secondary 2, the top 40 mainstream pupils will be invited to join SBC in Secondary 3.

If you're wondering which Ministry of Education this is, its the one in Singapore, of all places. Who is Sophia Blackmore anyways? Also, to me, I don't think this needs a Wikipedia article, but whatever...

Cya later today for another DERP!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #76
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Wow, I finally totally and completely missed a day. I couldn't really do much about that, as I never do DERPs in the morning, and then I slept over at a friend's place. I'm only doing this one DERP, though:

Mjölby Municipality (Mjölby kommun) is a municipality in Östergötland County in southeast Sweden. Its seat is located in the city of Mjölby, with some 12,000 inhabitants.
The present municipality was established in 1971, when the City of Mjölby, the City of Skänninge and the rural municipalities in the vicinity were amalgamated into the new entity. There are about twenty original units within Mjölby Municipality.

Ooh, Sweden! Vikings...oh wait, that's mostly Norway and Denmark...um...Stockholm? What's Stockholm really famous for anyway? Somebody educate me on Sweden. I just know that they fought a bunch of wars with Denmark, had a king who might've been a queen, were neutral during WWII, and they were part of the Kalmar League, which I think was the union of Denmark and Sweden.

There's one more tidbit of info here:

Mjölby has a school for goldsmiths and a school for engine drivers.

I'm gonna go to both and gold plate my train! It'll be the most gangsta train out there!

One more thing, their coat of arms:

Not too bad, I think. I'm guess it depicts two cities on two sides of a river.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #77
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Well, I missed another one. My interests in these seems to be waning...the last one will be on Easter Monday.

Today's DERP is:

Margaret Elizabeth Austin, CNZM (born 1933) is a former New Zealand politician. She was an MP from 1984 to 1996, representing first the Labour Party and then United New Zealand.
She was first elected to Parliament in the 1984 elections as the MP for Yaldhurst, an electorate in western Christchurch. She held that seat for the Labour Party until 1995, when she joined with six other MPs to found the centrist United New Zealand Party.
Like all United New Zealand MPs (but Peter Dunne), however, Austin was not re-elected in the 1996 elections.
She later became Chancellor of Lincoln University.

Um...I can't think of any comments about her...maybe this is why my interests in these are waning?

That's basically the entire article, so see you tomorrow for another DERP!

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-23-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #78
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

No objections to my last DERP, eh? Well, this'll be the second last DERP then, for Easter:

Ring Magazine was established in 1922. From 1983 to 1988, it gave a Prospect of the Year award to the boxer who had the most potential to become a future star in the sport.
1983: Kenny Baysmore
1984: Mark Breland
1985: Mike Tyson
1986: Michael Williams
1987: Engels Pedroza
1988: Michael Moorer

Hmm, boxing. I don't usually watch boxing, or wrestling, or UFC, cause I don't want to just watch two big guys beating each other up. I do know one of those names listed, though. Mike Tyson has so many controversies about him nowadays, and he just seems kinda weird to me. Doesn't he now have his own reality show about pigeon racing? Yeah. He's not your everyday guy.

Cya tomorrow for the last DERP!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #79
ElMikkino
Certified Bunnay Agent

Well, time for the last DERP. Lets see if Wikipedia gives me something good:

A baserri (pron. [bas̺eri] in Basque) is a traditional type of half-timbered or stone-built farmhouse found in the Basque Country in Northern Spain and Southwestern France. The baserris, with their gently sloping roofs and entrace portals, are highly characteristic of the region and form a vital part in traditional Basque societal structures.[1] They are also seen to have played an important role in protecting the Basque language[2] in periods of persecution by providing the language with a very dispersed but substantial speaker base.

Hmm, this article seems interesting, and is actually of a considerable length! Despite my username, I don't have any Spanish background, and certainly not any Basque. My knowledge of the Basque people is only with the country Navarre, which is in what is now Northwestern Spain. In my game Europa Universalis III, a history sim from 1399-1821, they are usually a nation that gets destroyed very quickly, due to the much bigger nations around it, though they are good at being merchants while they are still around.

Lets see the rest of this article (WARNING! Wall of text approaching!):

The term baserri is derived from the roots basa "wild" and herri "settlement"[3] and denotes a farmstead not located in a village or town. People who live on a baserri are referred to as baserritarrak, a term which contrasts with kaletarrak (street people) aka people who live in a town or city.
The present-day term baserri in Basque has a fairly restricted meaning, denoting the building and its occupants, especially in the Gipuzkoan dialect. Originally, however, it denoted the building (still called in some places baserri-etxea 'baserri house'), its dwellers and the whole estate. The originally wide connotation of the term is related to the inherent ambiguity of the Basque word herri which can be translated as "land", "home", "people" or "settlement" depending on the context.
In Spanish, mostly the term caserío vasco is used but note that a caserío may also denote an entire settlement in parts of the Spanish speaking world. In French, the term maison basque is commonly encountered, although this overlaps to some extent with the Basque concept of etxea (the house).
Overall, they are almost non-existent in the flatter terrains of Álava and central and southern Navarre (Ager Vasconum). These areas went through a more thorough period of Romanisation, in which the ancient Roman fundi provided the grounds for the new small population clusters and villages that dotted the whole region at the turn of the first millennium, after Muslim raids stopped. They are often named after an old landowner, e.g. Barbarin, Andoin, Amatrain, etc.[4] In Navarre, parts of Álava and parts of the Northern Basque Country, baserris often form rather spaced out settlements, but virtually never wall-to-wall to minimise fire risks.[1] Baserris in Gipuzkoa and Biscay on the whole are solitary buildings, but generally within view of another baserri.[1]

The predecessor of the baserri was the farming community of the late Middle Ages in the hilly Atlantic area, who at one point had learnt and taken up sowing and harvesting (cf. the legend of San Martin Txiki). The families didn't live in baserri buildings as we know today, but in clusters of small wooden fragile shacks with room enough for the family, the cattle and the stored hay.[5] However, the press house, granaries, pigsty and sheepfolds were located in separate buildings.[5] At this stage, the baserri stands clearly for the whole community behind the economic unit. This period also saw the development of the linguistic counterpart to the baserri for religious matters, the baseliza or "wild church".
During the 14th and 15th century, as the population began to grow, agricultural activity increased and so did the linking of agricultural activities and animal husbandry on a baserri, leading to an increase in the number of baserris. The late 15th and the 16th century are a period of peace among warring nobiliary factions after years of clashes, in which exactions and abuses on farmers had been rife, leading to a time of optimism and stability. The American and Andalusian conquest opened new opportunities, with small fortunes made by Basque venturers, which propelled the construction of baserris, thriving in the hundreds.[5] While private land ownership had been known if not widespread in the southern parts of Álava and Navarre since Roman times, most land further north was still common land in this period.[6] Councils fostered the building activity with tax exemption on tree chopping for baserri construction, which enabled Basque farmers to develop swathes of common land into privately owned baserris.[6]
At this transitional stage, the baserri buildings consisted of timbered structures that are barely reminiscent of dwellings, made up often in oak from the surrounding forests. In fact, the central position in the house was occupied by the press, since cider was a very important economic activity for the family's economy. Then, families started to move in for the initially cider producing mill, cattle stall and granary, eventually complementing or even replacing its original function with the dwelling. A well-known example of this type of baserri is the Igartubeiti baserri (built 1530), now an interactive museum and exhibition space, hosting events related to cider making (e.g. txalaparta) and traditional rural live.
The first stone farmhouses in Gipuzkoa (which entailed timber frames anyway) were built during the 15the century and brought admiration and envy from their neighbours. Only the richest farmers could permit themselves the luxury of building a house “de cal y canto”, paying a team of stonemasons who dug out and worked the stone. Oakwood was, on the other had, cheap and available.[5] The increased building activity led to some of the earliest recorded environmental laws concerning de- and reforestation, such as the law passed by the Batzar of Azkoitia in 1657 which forbade the cutting of young trees and required anyone felling a tree to plant two new trees in its place.[1]

In the Northern Basque Country these are often called borda, a term that originally referred to shepherding shelters. The extension, both structurally and terminologically, of the term to refer to a farmhouse rather than shelter occurred in the 17th and 18th century when further increases in the population led to the development of such summer pasture shelters into farmhouses.[3]
The 17th century is also the last period in which baserris with half-timbered façades were constructed.[1] Later constructions are virtually all in solid stone (except for the central section above the recessed portal to avoid structural problems).[1] From the 18th century onwards, the remaining half-timbered elements were replaced by using stone arches above the entrances.[1]

I'd be surprised if you read all that, even me, an avid reader, stopped midway through. The person who wrote this article seems to be very fond of the Basque people's culture. There are still MORE words, but I doubt you want to read it all, so I'll just give you some of the pictures in the article.

Well, that was a nice ending to the DERPs with that gallery. Hope you enjoyed these!

Last edited by ElMikkino; 04-25-2011 at 01:38 PM.