Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Anyway, I don't think the forums are dying. Just slowing down
that's what dying means.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #22
TyTBone
College Boi

Default Re: Are the forums dying?

The forums will never actually "die" unless Jamul takes down the site/server, or something to that effect.

But, again, if stuff isn't happening here, truth is I might want to support other companies' games that I can really get into, preferably 3D indie titles, with my time and enthusiasm. (The latest barrel blend was awesome, but the development feels so on and off.)

Hamumu is on my checklist of sites I visit everyday ("Facebook, Gmail, CNN (should probably quit this), Hamumu, etc.") - it's almost automatic. (This developed during the "super-exciting" HPG time, when I was thrilled to read a new Journal every day.) But this new social-attempting site is also not really aimed at my demographic ("kids"), and if there are other places who might appreciate my enthusiasm for their products (vs. my 3D, crates-smashing, HPG-referencing nagging), maybe I owe it to everyone, myself included, to spend more time there.

(I'm not trying to make myself sound like a big-shot or a threat-post, I'm kinda thinking out loud.)
Old 04-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #23
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
that's what dying means.
I respectfully disagree.
:P
Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #24
Jamul
Marshmallow Head
The Boss

Here's an indie site developing a big 3D action-rpg, and he blogs about it constantly, sharing tons of details of the development process: http://wolfire.com/ - sounds right up your alley, TyTBone!

I'm not working on any 3D games, not off and on or at all. I'm just learning how to use Blender, which if I was good at, I would use to make pre-rendered art for more 2D games. I'm not planning any 3D games. Check my recent journal post for a huge list of potential projects.

To anybody, if you're interested in Dumb games, this is the place to be. If you're interested in this community and the forum and chat games we play and the weird events that happen, this is the place. If you're interested in some other kind of games, or a more 'mature' community, you definitely should look elsewhere! I'm gonna keep on making Dumb games, and I hope you guys will keep on doing forum fun. I would love for the community to be bigger, and I make efforts to help that, but changing what I make or what kind of site this is won't ever be a part of that effort.

You need to know, I'm in this to amuse myself and make a living. If nobody ever came to the site again, I'd still be making my games and blogging about them. I might blog less if I knew nobody was visiting though. My measure of success or failure isn't how many people come to the site - it's whether I get to keep on making games instead of working at McDonald's. The site is always here for anybody who wants to discuss my games, or just read about them.

But I say what I always say when this topic comes up: the community is literally made of people, and nothing else. You're one of them. If the stuff going on isn't exciting enough for you, do exciting stuff! It's completely in your hands.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #25
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamul View Post
Here's an indie site developing a big 3D action-rpg, and he blogs about it constantly, sharing tons of details of the development process: http://wolfire.com/ - sounds right up your alley, TyTBone!
Thanks! I'll check it out and hopefully it'll be interesting.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #26
Davedude
The Master of Toast!

As an older member of Hamumu (Joined 2004) I would have to say that I things the forum is regressing. What really used to bring the forum together was the release of a new game, and that would also add to the member count. When I first got Dr. L (Not SWC, no Expansions), people were all in the forums talking about it, making worlds, and generally interested in the forum for game content. A few more games would bring up this, and when the Chat came out, people were interested in that. I think when the chat was a seperate link it was a lot more personal; people had to have the intention of going to the chat to be there, instead of it always lingering at the bottom of the screen. I remember fondly being in that forum and hosting/playing small snowball fight/mafia/PWNZOR rounds. I really think that when another major project is released things will hopefully spark. Personally, I usually don't post in the forums unless something is going on, like that pumpkin event. All in all, I think the forum has a future, but I do miss the older times.
Davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:58 AM   #27
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.

Well I haven't really been around that long but since my return a few days ago I have definitely noticed a big slump in the amount of posts every day compared to last Summer/Autumn. However Jamul is making money all the time now (RW_ iPhone, those Pedro things, and LD if he gets any money from that. Does he?) so eventually he's going to have enough money to make another big game and then hopefully the forums will start getting more active again.
- A spambot
Felixrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #28
RandomCommander
Insert some Random Title here.

Location: Master Control of Time, Space and Chocolate Chip Cookies

Right now, whats keeping the forums "alive" Is the random assortment of interesting discussions, and a bit of Jamul's newer things (like the Scuba Jim game he posted) and if there was some sort of discussion about that (IE the thread called "Scuba Jim High Score" made by me), this would keep the forums running longer.

I also added one of my own games, Ace Pilot, but for some reason its not stirring up a discussion. The thing is, I am one of those people trying to keep the forums up, even though i am a relatively new member of these forums.

The Random Signature 2.0, now with 8% more POOTIS!
RandomCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #29
TyTBone
College Boi

Wolfire is pretty neat. Really like the 3D engine, although the emphasis on hand-to-hand combat isn't really my thing. Hopefully as Overgrowth gets developed there will be more aspects added, like, of course, smashable objects. Right now I'm looking forward to DNF, not for the inappropriateness but for the environments, exploration, etc.

In general, I won't be spending a whole lot of time there, or here anymore, although I will be checking out Hamumu on, at least, a once-daily basis (prob. w/o logging in, however). This is mainly over the summer because I don't have a fast internet connection at home.