Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 PM   #21
PlasmaCannonsRule
Exploder of Communist Penguins

Default Re: Massive Riots In London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkineater View Post
There has been a lot of confusion about this, and I am not sure about the truth here myself, but I have heard many accounts claiming that he did not actually aim at the officer, and that that was made up. If that is the case, the implications are frustrating, but I am not sure about the truth here so I can't really discuss it.

I actually hadn't read into it until after I made the post. The man was a drug dealer and the last text his phone sent read "the feds are on to me". If it went down like how a lot of criminal takedowns over here go, the man decided to go down fighting instead of surrendering to the police.

Mental exams should be required.

Mental exams don't detect everything. Plus, let's say a mentally unstable teenager lives in a home with perfectly sane parents who own guns. One day the teen goes off the wire, steals the gun, and shoots up his school. What to do then?

I am not debating whether or not drugs should be illegal (They should), I am debating whether pot should be illegal while tobacco and alcohol is legal. Truth is, pot makes people chill out, while alcohol aggravates them and in many cases turns them into jerks. I have seen many policemen on the internet, talking about how they never give someone trouble for being high, while they go completely by the book on alcohol-related breaches of the law. It is true that in a perfect world drugs would not exist, but it is simply preposterous to allow alcohol to be used instead of pot.

I agree it's a bit hypocritical. Honestly, drugs are always going to be there and I am pro-legalization just to stop cartels and gangs. And not everyone gets violent when they get drunk.

I highly disagree with you here. Lulzsec in a way serves the same purpose as Wikileaks and Anonymous, who serve a great purpose in fighting for our rights.

Lulzsec was, up until recently, a bunch of idiots randomly crashing and hacking the sites of legitimate businesses trying to make a living. And then they hacked into computers containing information which should definitely not be going public. Alerting highly wanted criminals about our efforts to catch them, security measures for the President, and possibly missile launch codes. Also, Anonymous has done some pretty awful things. Harassing the grieving family of a kid who killed himself over a typo on an article one of his friends made, illegally harassing a teen who made a website against cursing, among others. Of course, Anonymous is leaderless so it's unfair to blame the entire organization for the actions of a few of its members.

When the police is enforcing ridiculous/unfair laws, the people have every right to violently resist. And yes, even though it is not my favorite system, I would rather have anarchy instead of capitalism/living in a police state.

I can't speak for you here because I don't live in Greece.

I won't answer to this, as you have correctly done so yourself.

While nice cops exist and may even be a majority, they are still cops, and for that they have lost all my respect. It is the same thing that goes with teachers, they may have good intentions, but they serve a terrible system.

Again, I don't live in Greece.

No, I always held this belief. Those people are not rebels, they are criminals. I would absolutely have no problem with them if they looted government buildings, banks, supermarkets, stores belonging to huge chains, police departments, or basically any other tool of the capitalists, but they are ruining small businesses, and have thus turned against the people. While they may be fighting against the police right now, both groups are our enemies and should be treated as such.

You do know that supermarkets and small businesses belong to the same system of capitalism you seem to despise, right? And that many innocents just trying to make a living work at government organizations and supermarkets, right? As far as the death penalty goes, I have mixed opinions.
Responses in bold.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
Felixrain
has transformed!

Location: That's a good question. I'm not quite sure at the moment, give me a little time to think about it.

PE, I don't know why you would think it okay for them to destroy supermarkets and chains of stores. They also have innocent people working there who would lose their jobs if such occurred.
- A spambot
Felixrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:03 PM   #23
death
Banned

I think he thinks this is the same type of thing that went on/is going on where he lives. but it really isn't afaik.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #24
Kerma
Conspiracy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixrain View Post
PE, I don't know why you would think it okay for them to destroy supermarkets and chains of stores. They also have innocent people working there who would lose their jobs if such occurred.
I think you mean they'd lose their lives, I'm pretty sure management understands if a giant mob breaks into the store and the tillman doesn't do anything
Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 PM   #25
magic fly
superpowered fly of failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerma View Post
I think you mean they'd lose their lives, I'm pretty sure management understands if a giant mob breaks into the store and the tillman doesn't do anything
i don't think he means they would be fired. how would anyone get that idea? what he means is if it was destroyed they wouldn't have a place to go to work at anymore.

and Hyperme, i love the last bit of your post. Certainly suggests something.

PE , why would you ever not have a problem with them looting even if it was just looting certain places? Looting is looting, and looting is despicable.

It almost seems like riots are all about causing random damage using something as an excuse. Don't people ever think about what they are doing? Group mentality is scary, senseless stuff.
things would be better for everyone if people weren't so quick to cause violence over something that may have been justified. does anyone even know all the details of the incident?

Last edited by magic fly; 08-10-2011 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo
magic fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:26 PM   #26
Cliffy1000
Card Dealer

Send a message via MSN to Cliffy1000

Quote:
I see I misjudged the type of the situation, though more points are to be raised by this.
First of all, the fact that he had a gun is a ridiculous excuse to shoot him. Bearing arms is a constitutional right in the United States, and it is a ridiculous thing that it is not in Europe.
Just going to cut it off here and say that the guy USED his gun and shot at the police first.
Cliffy1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:02 AM   #27
death
Banned

idiots as individuals are harmless.

idiots in masses are a danger to all.

smart people as individuals can be either one, but can often gather idiots into a mob to do the work for them.
death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #28
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian

Quote:
First of all, the fact that he had a gun is a ridiculous excuse to shoot him.
It's not that he had a gun - it's that he had a gun and was judged by the commanding officer to have every intention of using it (if there was a SWAT team sent to arrest him, which would be pretty likely) or the officer who shot him judged that he had every intention of using it, or he had already started using it. You don't get shot unless you're an active threat to people's lives.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote