Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017
Old 09-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Default New Hosting Rules Suggestion

As I said, I'm going to be threading up in a way those who are worried about over-regular won't like. Anyhow, onto business.

I am making this thread to propose two new rule for hosting Mafia. They are:

1. The Host MUST post when a new deadline expires. This may be given as the time until a deadline expires, or the Day and Time when it expires. A new deadline is is usually caused by the beggining of a Day or Night phase, however, changing a deadline counts as creating a new one.

2. The Host MUST post a list of all live players at the end of a phase. Days may cover many pages, and multiple kills (or revivals) mean posting a list of living players every other phase can lead to confusion caused by the one person who should only created it via game setup, not by unclear presentation of public information.

You may think these rules are superflorous. I point you to Mafia 15, hosted by Sonicchaos1993, who is not only seen as a good player, but has been chosen to enforce the forum's rules. If one the highest standing members of the Mafia sub-community does not do the simple task outlined above, what could come from less experience hosts copying him?

Madness, anarchy, and the comeplete collapse of Mafia on Hamumu*.

*May contain exaggeration. Not indented to be a factual statement.

Last edited by hyperme; 09-17-2011 at 12:32 PM. Reason: one day, I shall discover the preview button
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #2
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: New Hosting Rules Suggestion

I agree with both of these ideas, however Sonicchaos has been posting the deadlines, at least as far as I can tell.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Megadog
The Demagogue

I thought that sonic was dealing with the role things via PM, as to keep the two games separate.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #4
Sakura-chan
Banned

I'm not sure what your first point means at all.

In games I run, I post the whole player list at the end of each phase. Dead players have their roles beside them usually and are striked out.

I kind of thought this thread would be about making actual guidelines for becoming a host, which the sign-up thread is kind-of lacking.
Sakura-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

That is generally under hamumu mafia rules.
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

I would have figured both these rules were common sense. Also, if you think a player list is lacking, PM the host at night or post in the thread at day asking for one. Sometimes the host is busy and needs to throw a phase post up but doesn't have the time to put a list right then.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #7
Sakura-chan
Banned

Not really a rule thing, but has anyone considered having more games than one going on? Most of us can probably handle playing two at once. Since the pace is much slower here, I think that would be a good idea, especially if you happen to get killed off early in one of the games you are playing. That's happened to me, and it's a little boring waiting days and often weeks for the game to end so I can play again, knowing I might just get killed right away again in the next game. At the very least, two games at once might be worth trying. The hosting list is getting bigger, causing some potential hosts to have to wait a while, and we're apparently getting a lot of new members. As a friend of someone who left, I think this might be a good idea.

Last edited by Sakura-chan; 09-21-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

I petrsonally think it would gety a little confusing and meta-gaming might accidentally go into the extreme with two games going on at once and personalities carrying over. If we get enough new people im all for that, but as it is we only have enough people to run one at a time.
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Sakura-chan
Banned

The only way to truly know that is to give it a try, even if just once, as a test.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:39 PM   #10
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

We've had multiple games at once several times and it hasn't always worked out as we hoped. It tends to slow things down even more.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #11
Sakura-chan
Banned

I'm saying two at once, not a bunch. Don't really see why it should slow things down.