Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #121
Sakura-chan
Banned
 
Sakura-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 341
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

I'm thinking you made a mistake with number 3?

But what's up with the first one? I mean, I don't like the idea that my games will have to have phases that last that long.
Sakura-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #122
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura-chan View Post
But what's up with the first one? I mean, I don't like the idea that my games will have to have phases that last that long.
This is a forum, and because of that, not everybody is awake at the same time. We have people playing from all over the world, and having a deadline shorter than 24 hours would be unfair to anybody not awake or at home before the deadline is up.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #123
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer
 
SpaceManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,079
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

I think perhaps the wording of the first rule should be changed. Stating right-out they're mandatory and then saying they're not seems kind of odd. Also rule 3 seems weird, and might I suggest an alternate wording for rule 11, which hardly makes any sense as it is now:
"Preventing people from signing up for your game based on lurking history is not encouraged, but hosts may do so if they desire."
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #124
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
I think perhaps the wording of the first rule should be changed. Stating right-out they're mandatory and then saying they're not seems kind of odd. Also rule 3 seems weird, and might I suggest an alternate wording for rule 11, which hardly makes any sense as it is now:
"Preventing people from signing up for your game based on lurking history is not encouraged, but hosts may do so if they desire."
Rule three should just be changed to "Do not host a game of an unmanageable size". Rule 1 is really fine as it is, but could be a bit better: "Deadlines are mandatory, however the host may extend or remove them based on the activity of the players". I agree with you fully on rule 11's wording.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #125
Sakura-chan
Banned
 
Sakura-chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 341
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

It said we SHOULD host games of unmanagable size.XD
Sakura-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #126
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.
Moderator
 
sonicchaos1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Definately not behind you
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

Reposting with wording changes:

Official Mafia Rules

These rules may be changed by the host, as long as the general idea of them is followed.
  1. Deadlines are mandatory, however the host may extend or remove them based on the activity of the players.
  2. The number of games going at simultaneously should be sufficient to accommodate the number of players who wish to play. Anybody may sign up for a game in the officially designated sign-up thread for that mafia game. You may replace an inactive player in a game if you so choose, but to replace you need to be dead in the game you signed up for and not know any crucial information not known publicly.
  3. Do not host a game of an unmanageable size.
  4. The set of games after the previous set is finished should be started at roughly the same time as each other, and approximately 24 hours after the previous set of games ended. If one game is not close to finishing and the other is finished, then the person with the next game may start theirs.
  5. Signups must have the word 'Signups' in their title to distinguish them from the actual game.
  6. Approximately 25% of the players in any game should be Mafia. If there are three extra players, you may include one extra mafia as long as the mafia is weakened or the town has extra power roles.
  7. Other than communication i) between a player and the host ii) between players assigned a Mafia role and iii) between players assigned a Mason type role, all communication should occur in the thread. Any conversation any other way may result in modkilling, or if it's in the Hamchat, it should be posted in the thread by somebody reading it and the host may decide if the player is modkilled.
  8. Players may claim their role if they want, but they may not i) Quote their role PM or ii) Give away the role of somebody else they learned as a direct result of their role(i.e. Mafia cannot give away Mafia, Masons cannot give away Masons, but cops can give guilty or innocent or other roles may give what they learn by using their ability)
  9. At the discretion of the host, players will be allowed to have a "Last Gasp" when they die. This is one final post, after which the player may not post again. The player may not break any rules in this gasp (e.g. giving away who the members of the Mafia are).
  10. Dead players or people who are not in the game should not post any game related ideas. If you've been killed you can't give your opinion, or if you decided not to play the game you can't try to play.
  11. Preventing people from signing up for your game based on lurking history is not encouraged, but hosts may do so if they desire.
  12. Hosts need to be around for their game. It is recommended that you find a co-host for your game in case you suddenly are unable to complete your duties as host for any reason without being able to find a replacement after the game has started.
  13. Hosts must not give any game information away other than what is required for people's roles. For example, you may not congratulate the cop, but you may tell the cop that the person they're inspecting is good or evil.
  14. Hosts need to be approved to host a game. This is done by posting three examples of good gameplay in the Official Host Signup Thread and having an experienced host approve you.
  15. Anybody may post vote tallies if the host is not around, or ask the host questions about tallies or other information that has been posted that may not be correct.
  16. Hosts must send a PM to everybody playing the game. It helps to solve confusion about roles or inclusion in the game. You can use the BCC feature to send the exact same message to up to 5 people.
  17. Editing your posts is inadvisable - it may make players think you have something to hide, and mafia should be played like a real life game - once you say something in real life you can't take it back.
  18. Most importantly, Have Fun! Mafia is a game to be enjoyed by everybody playing, if you have any problems with the game talk to the host about it and it can be fixed.
__________________

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #127
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

A bit of clarification on rule 8, due to something I read in game 14:

Quoting is the problem, not using exactly the same wording as the host. For example, say this is my role PM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host
You are NPC. Your power is not being in the game.
If I post this in the thread, I will be breaking the rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modkilled me
I'm not mafia, I swear! This is my role PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Role PM
You are NPC. Your power is not being in the game.
Or this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why would anybody ever do this?
I'm not town, I swear! I'm the last mafia! This is my role PM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Role PM
You are mafia! MUAHAHAHAHA!
On the other hand, if I post this I will not be:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not-modkilled me
I'm not mafia, I swear! I'm NPC. My power is not being in the game. Please believe me!
The reasoning behind this rule is that you cannot convey that your words are coming directly from the host. This is an unfair tactic, because it implies that your claim is true, whether or not is it (see example 2). However, it's a good idea to stay away from the exact wording whenever possible and only claim a role name.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #128
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

Repost of the rules because part of rule 1 got lost in the update of the rules:

Official Mafia Rules

These rules may be changed by the host, as long as the general idea of them is followed.
  1. Deadlines are mandatory, however the host may extend or remove them based on the activity of the players. Do note that night must last at least 24 hours, so as to eliminate evidence based off who was online during the night.
  2. The number of games going at simultaneously should be sufficient to accommodate the number of players who wish to play. Anybody may sign up for a game in the officially designated sign-up thread for that mafia game. You may replace an inactive player in a game if you so choose, but to replace you need to be dead in the game you signed up for and not know any crucial information not known publicly.
  3. Do not host a game of an unmanageable size.
  4. The set of games after the previous set is finished should be started at roughly the same time as each other, and approximately 24 hours after the previous set of games ended. If one game is not close to finishing and the other is finished, then the person with the next game may start theirs.
  5. Signups must have the word 'Signups' in their title to distinguish them from the actual game.
  6. Approximately 25% of the players in any game should be Mafia. If there are three extra players, you may include one extra mafia as long as the mafia is weakened or the town has extra power roles.
  7. Other than communication i) between a player and the host ii) between players assigned a Mafia role and iii) between players assigned a Mason type role, all communication should occur in the thread. Any conversation any other way may result in modkilling, or if it's in the Hamchat, it should be posted in the thread by somebody reading it and the host may decide if the player is modkilled.
  8. Players may claim their role if they want, but they may not i) Quote their role PM or ii) Give away the role of somebody else they learned as a direct result of their role(i.e. Mafia cannot give away Mafia, Masons cannot give away Masons, but cops can give guilty or innocent or other roles may give what they learn by using their ability)
  9. At the discretion of the host, players will be allowed to have a "Last Gasp" when they die. This is one final post, after which the player may not post again. The player may not break any rules in this gasp (e.g. giving away who the members of the Mafia are).
  10. Dead players or people who are not in the game should not post any game related ideas. If you've been killed you can't give your opinion, or if you decided not to play the game you can't try to play.
  11. Preventing people from signing up for your game based on lurking history is not encouraged, but hosts may do so if they desire.
  12. Hosts need to be around for their game. It is recommended that you find a co-host for your game in case you suddenly are unable to complete your duties as host for any reason without being able to find a replacement after the game has started.
  13. Hosts must not give any game information away other than what is required for people's roles. For example, you may not congratulate the cop, but you may tell the cop that the person they're inspecting is good or evil.
  14. Hosts need to be approved to host a game. This is done by posting three examples of good gameplay in the Official Host Signup Thread and having an experienced host approve you.
  15. Anybody may post vote tallies if the host is not around, or ask the host questions about tallies or other information that has been posted that may not be correct.
  16. Hosts must send a PM to everybody playing the game. It helps to solve confusion about roles or inclusion in the game. You can use the BCC feature to send the exact same message to up to 5 people.
  17. Editing your posts is inadvisable - it may make players think you have something to hide, and mafia should be played like a real life game - once you say something in real life you can't take it back.
  18. Most importantly, Have Fun! Mafia is a game to be enjoyed by everybody playing, if you have any problems with the game talk to the host about it and it can be fixed.

Last edited by Julian; 09-10-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: straighten out the colon
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #129
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.
Moderator
 
sonicchaos1993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Definately not behind you
Posts: 1,429
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

Repost including the remainder of the rules changes that were being voted on. I also split up the list into multiple parts, since some of the rules really can't be changed by the host even though we say they can and that can cause some confusion. Let me know if you think there are any rules that should be moved from one list to another. Some rules I split up since they had a combination of unchangeable rules and changeable rules.

Also, we should maybe consider starting a new thread for the rules, so that people don't have to dig for the current ones.

Any changes are in Italics.

Official Mafia Rules

These rules must be followed unless otherwise mentioned:
  1. Deadlines are mandatory, however the host may extend or remove them based on the activity of the players. Do note that night must last at least 24 hours, so as to eliminate evidence based off who was online during the night.
  2. The number of games going at simultaneously should be sufficient to accommodate the number of players who wish to play. Anybody may sign up for a game in the officially designated sign-up thread for that mafia game. You may replace an inactive player in a game if you so choose, but to replace you need to be dead in the game you signed up for and not know any crucial information not known publicly.
  3. Do not host a game of an unmanageable size. The host should consider their own hosting abilities when deciding what number of players is manageable.
  4. The next game(s) after the previous game(s) is finished should be started at roughly the same time as each other, and approximately 24 hours after the previous game(s) ended. If one game is not close to finishing and the other is finished, then the person with the next game may start theirs.
  5. Signups must have the word 'Signups' in their title to distinguish them from the actual game.
  6. Hosts need to be approved to host a game. This is done by posting three examples of good gameplay from three separate games in the Official Host Signup Thread and having an experienced host approve you.
  7. Hosts must send a PM to everybody playing the game. It helps to solve confusion about roles or inclusion in the game. You can use the BCC feature to send the exact same message to up to 5 people.
  8. Have Fun! Mafia is a game to be enjoyed by everybody playing, if you have any problems with the game talk to the host about it and it can be fixed.
These rules may be altered by the host, as long as the general idea of them is followed:
  1. Approximately 25% of the players in any game should be Mafia. If there are three extra players, you may include one extra mafia as long as the mafia is weakened or the town has extra power roles.
  2. Other than communication
    i) between a player and the host
    ii) between players assigned a Mafia role and
    iii) between players assigned a Mason type role,
    all communication should occur in the thread. Any conversation any other way may result in modkilling, or if it's in the Hamchat, it should be posted in the thread by somebody reading it and the host may decide if the player is modkilled.
  3. Players may claim their role if they want, but they may not i) Quote their role PM or ii) Give away the role of somebody else they learned as a direct result of their role(i.e. Mafia cannot give away Mafia, Masons cannot give away Masons, but cops can give guilty or innocent or other roles may give what they learn by using their ability)
  4. At the discretion of the host, players will be allowed to have a "Last Gasp" when they die. This is one final post, after which the player may not post again. The player may not break any rules in this gasp (e.g. giving away who the members of the Mafia are).
  5. Dead players or people who are not in the game should not post any game related ideas. If you've been killed you can't give your opinion, or if you decided not to play the game you can't try to play.
  6. Preventing people from signing up for your game based on lurking history is not encouraged, but hosts may do so if they desire.
  7. Hosts need to be around for their game. It is recommended that you find a co-host for your game in case you suddenly are unable to complete your duties as host for any reason without being able to find a replacement after the game has started.
  8. Hosts must not give any game information away other than what is required for people's roles. For example, you may not congratulate the cop, but you may tell the cop that the person they're inspecting is good or evil.
  9. Anybody may post vote tallies if the host is not around, or ask the host questions about tallies or other information that has been posted that may not be correct.
  10. Editing your posts is inadvisable - it may make players think you have something to hide, and mafia should be played like a real life game - once you say something in real life you can't take it back.
  11. Lurking is not encouraged, however, it is up to the host whether to allow it in their game or not and what penalty, if any, to assess lurkers.
  12. Hosts may opt to make a member of the mafia team a "backup kill sender," who sends in a kill if the godfather is unable to do so. However, this role is not required.
  13. Hosts may place reasonable restrictions on who is allowed to play in their game. An example of such a restriction is only allowing players who have shown they are able to actively participate in a game to play.
  14. It is up to the host as to when they choose to post signups for their game, however, they should allow enough time for players to signup before the game needs to begin.
__________________

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #130
Julian
Is a ninja
 
Julian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: http://www.nationstates.net/dordinal
Posts: 3,077
Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: General Rules for Mafia Games

Quick clarification of why deadlines are required to be 24 hours or more:

It is not so that people can't use others' activities as evidence in the game (really, this sort of logic shouldn't be used anyway, but...). It's to allow people from different timezones to be able to actually participate. Even if the deadline is 2400 hours, you can still use other people's activities during that time as evidence. So long as it's longer than 24 hours though, everybody has a chance to participate.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hamumu Mafia Rules Thread texasjoshua Mafia & Forum Games 5 07-29-2011 04:00 PM
Heroes Mafia Rules Jamul Mafia & Forum Games 4 05-06-2008 08:26 AM
Rules for mafia Davedude Mafia & Forum Games 0 04-11-2008 04:47 PM
mafia chatting rules Jamul Mafia & Forum Games 8 02-16-2008 08:41 AM
General Mafia Discussion chaucer Mafia & Forum Games 23 02-14-2007 09:40 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.