Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 22, 2017
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

Default Tech-savvy help request!

I am writing this from my WIndows Vista. I am rather frustrated at it.

The thing I'd like to learn to do is to show pictures posted in Users' Sigs. I'm only getting a box with a box in it (INCEPTION) with a red X inside it. This happens everywhere. I first noticed it in the Dice RPG thread, with RandomCommander and his maps and sig. Next came the SOPA Thread, with "Everyone change your sigs to this:" a box with a box with an x.

I do not know if it is a web-filter thing, (though it might be, K9 Web Protection) (it's painfully effective) (not real pain, though) but maybe it's a Vista problem thing. (More news coming up.) The maps showed up on a Macbook, though. (As a side thought, any ideas on how to make it run faster? One time it took it 23 seconds to recognize that the power cord/charger had been disconnected, and 5 more seconds to dim the screen. It's that bad.) Likely it's the computer itself.

The other thing I want to do is play old CD-ROMs. I read up on the subject, wanting one time to play "The Secret of Monkey Island" in its 1990's point-and-click glory, and endeavored to change the screen resolution via a hidden Control Panel panel to 16-bit at most, 256 colors if I was really lucky. Turns out I wasn't. The *insert insult* computer only runs 32-bit and 64-bit. The frustrating thing is, they worked on my friend's Windows 7, and my grandparents' old XP. How do I turn Vista into one of these?

My brother-in-law has a program, "DOS Box" or something, that forces the computer to run old CDs, but Monkey Island was I guess too old, 'cuz it didn't work. Neither did Math Blaster: The Search for Spot.

I am verra frustrated at this, and insanely jealous that the dinosaur Mac runs these and my mastodon Vista doesn't.

ANY help is MUCH appreciated.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Default Re: Tech-savvy help request!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackodude View Post
I am writing this from my WIndows Vista. I am rather frustrated at it.

The thing I'd like to learn to do is to show pictures posted in Users' Sigs. I'm only getting a box with a box in it (INCEPTION) with a red X inside it. This happens everywhere. I first noticed it in the Dice RPG thread, with RandomCommander and his maps and sig. Next came the SOPA Thread, with "Everyone change your sigs to this:" a box with a box with an x.

I do not know if it is a web-filter thing, (though it might be, K9 Web Protection) (it's painfully effective) (not real pain, though) but maybe it's a Vista problem thing. (More news coming up.) The maps showed up on a Macbook, though. (As a side thought, any ideas on how to make it run faster? One time it took it 23 seconds to recognize that the power cord/charger had been disconnected, and 5 more seconds to dim the screen. It's that bad.) Likely it's the computer itself.

The other thing I want to do is play old CD-ROMs. I read up on the subject, wanting one time to play "The Secret of Monkey Island" in its 1990's point-and-click glory, and endeavored to change the screen resolution via a hidden Control Panel panel to 16-bit at most, 256 colors if I was really lucky. Turns out I wasn't. The *insert insult* computer only runs 32-bit and 64-bit. The frustrating thing is, they worked on my friend's Windows 7, and my grandparents' old XP. How do I turn Vista into one of these?

My brother-in-law has a program, "DOS Box" or something, that forces the computer to run old CDs, but Monkey Island was I guess too old, 'cuz it didn't work. Neither did Math Blaster: The Search for Spot.

I am verra frustrated at this, and insanely jealous that the dinosaur Mac runs these and my mastodon Vista doesn't.

ANY help is MUCH appreciated.
Vista, in general, isn't very good. You can kind of think of it as a Windows 7 beta sold as a finished product.

What are the specs on the Mac and on the Vista laptop? It's hard to tell what the problem is without knowing the details.

(On a side note, I'm heading offline now, so I probably won't be able to respond until tomorrow)

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Dont we all hate Vista?

On topic, do the images have a reason for not appearing? What happens if you right-click/troubleshoot? As for speeding up your computah, compressing disk space can take hours but has been known to speed up slow computers significantly.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

They're both a few years old at least. Me and my brother-in-law were able to defragment the Vista, but not the Mac (OS X) because we're not Mac people.

About The Mac:

MacBook 1,1

Mac OS X Version 10.5.8

1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo

512 MB memory, 667MHz Bus speed (?) DDR2 SDRAM

SMC Version (system) 1.4f12

The internet works fine on both computers, it's just that the computer itself farts so much it's hard to get things done on it, it's so slow. Info on the Vista once I access Hamumu on it.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigacat View Post
Dont we all hate Vista?

On topic, do the images have a reason for not appearing? What happens if you right-click/troubleshoot? As for speeding up your computah, compressing disk space can take hours but has been known to speed up slow computers significantly.
I think we all don't like it. I'll try the right-clicky. How do I compress the disk space on both?

Last edited by Wackodude; 02-02-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Add-on
Wackodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Hmm. I have a vista but still have a ton of disk space. /me goes to google...

Cant seem to find what im looking for, but i cant remember its exact name...
Old 02-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

I guess what I want is this: Speeding up the Mac, and Getting pictures to show on Vista.

Vista stats: 320 GB SATA hard disk, (musch space has yet to be used, AMD Athlon TM, 62X2 processor, VistaTM Home Premium. It had a big Acer thingy floating around the desktop at one point, but I was able to get rid of it.