Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
TyTBone
College Boi

Default Maybe Jamul should use Kickstarter for a new LL or Adventure of Bouapha

Just a thought, but not a real serious one, that's why I posted it in TM. After the success of Double Fine and (currently) Wasteland 2, I just thought I'd mention this. (Of course, this project would have to cost much less overall than those.)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Redbone
She & her pronouns

Default Re: Maybe Jamul should use Kickstarter for a new LL or Adventure of Bouapha

Anything regarding a new Loonyland game is getting my support.
(AoB is good too)
Old 03-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

Default Re: Maybe Jamul should use Kickstarter for a new LL or Adventure of Bouapha

Well, is Jamul actually feeling like making a new one? But I'd totally help.

Last edited by Hammer Up!; 03-14-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Hammer Up! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #4
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Up! View Post
Well, is Jamul actually feeling like making a new one?
IIRC, one of the reasons he wasn't going to was because it didn't make sense financially. I doubt he will (for a while at least), but I thought I'd mention the idea of using Kickstarter anyway. :P
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
Hammer Up!
Guy That Throws Hammers

No, I know that. But there's no reason to have the money to make the game if the creator doesn't want to.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down

*coughcough Loonyland3donations coughcough*

No, but seriously, a place to donate for a new 3D game (diabaka max, anyone?) would be good. Well, I guess we all could all just go and buy some purple cards...

OR how about Jamul somehow gets into a Humble Indie Bundle with Loonyland 1 (no Linux but at least LL1 has Mac...) and with whatever he makes from that he could attempt to get the software he needs. Plus he gets more publicity, which is good no matter what. I hope he comments on this, though, because to I have no idea how hard it is to get onto a HIB or how much money he would make. Doesn't that require Steam, too? I know there is some reason why he doesn't want his games on Steam.

Anyways, that probably wouldn't work out...but think of the Loonyland 3... :C

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 03-14-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I know what he could do.

We could all be in the game, and everyone would donate a little bit so he could pay for music and such for the actual game itself, then he starts making it.

It could be sorta like HamPlat (gee, sorry for referencing it, becuase everyone gets crazy mad when I slightly mention it I LOVED THAT GAME OKAY)

Except it would have fighting and a huge storyline and everything.
It would be online, and you would have to have a hamumu account to log-in.

Here's My Ideas:

MOBS:
- Player(s) [Health20|Height1]
- Pig [Health2|Height1|DropPork]
- Cow [Health5|Height1|DropBeef_Leather_Milk]
- Sheep [Health4|Height1|DropWool]
- Zoid [Health 3|Height1|DropXP|LivesWater_Air]
- Mumble [Health 2|Height1|DropToiletPaper_XP|LivesDarkness5-]
- Zombie [Health 4|Height1|DropFeather|LivesDarkness3-]
- The Thing [Health 10|Height3Width3|DropXP_Thingies|LivesLava]
- Sven [Health 15|Height5Width2|DropXP_Icicles|LivesSnow]

finish it later.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #8
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down

I don't think money is the only reason why he hasn't made LL3 yet...

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 03-14-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #9
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

I think Jamul should make LL3, but start it out as just a sandbox; A fully editable, mod-friendly game that everybody can add stuff to/edit as much as they want. And after this is available for people to buy, Jamul would actually start making the game (adding content, features, etc.). I'm not sure if anybody understands what I'm saying, but basically I'm talking about the same thing Wolfire Games does with Overgrowth.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

I think we have enough user customization in SWC and CP.

I would appreciate a fully fleshed out RPG game in the same style as LL2. I don't need user-generated content to play a game, although an editor would be nice if somebody wants to mess around. I didn't really follow LL2 for the plot, but I think Easter Island would open up plenty of gameplay opportunities and let Jamul have a lot of wiggle space.

And also:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post
MOBS:
blah blah blah
MOBS
They're only mobs in Minecraft!
D: This is getting on my nerves...

Last edited by cyberclone42; 03-14-2012 at 08:38 PM.
cyberclone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #11
Megadog
The Demagogue

Furthermore, why would a zombie drop a feather. There's no logic to it.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Furthermore, why would a zombie drop a feather. There's no logic to it.
derp. they drop rotten flesh.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:02 AM   #13
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post
- Zombie [Health 4|Height1|DropFeather|LivesDarkness3-]
What I was commenting on.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
OurEminentDoomsayer
Inanimate Carbon Rod

Zombies drop feathers in Minecraft. That's probably where he got the idea.
OurEminentDoomsayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

Everybody knows that behind that thin veneer of zombie there is a new chicken waiting for its chance to escape.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
TyTBone
College Boi

EDIT: Oh, and of course Kid Mystic 2 is another possibility that's been talked about.

Well anyway, having seen some more indie Kickstarter projects out there, I get the unfortunate feeling that Jamul might have an unhill battle out there. Double Fine and inXile (Wasteland 2) are big-name, well-known companies, with stuff that people REALLY want, so that's probably why they're the exception to the rule.

HOWEVER, that being said, I think Jamul could pull it off if he kept the amount low (Maybe a few thousand, to get started?), he got the word out, he gave good incentives for donating, and we did our part. Despite Jamul's laziness, Hamumu has a good track record for at least creating things, so it's not like people would be donating to some unknown induhvidual.

But to create inventive to give, I think Jamul would want to give away copies of his games with certain levels of donation. (That is, the people could get the game as long as the full amount was reached on time; otherwise, nothing would exchange digital hands, so to speak.) Standard amount seems to be $15 bucks, so maybe upping that to $20 (as a "special" price for backers) and giving away a copy of Mia's Happy Day or a Costume Party Pack (worth $5) and providing one's name in the credits might add a level of credibility and seriousness to the project. For $30 or 35, maybe you could get the game/name in credits + $10 game (Costume Party Creator's Pass or Amazin' SPISPOPD or Eddie Galaxy or something else) $40 or 50 could get you game/name in credits + $20 game (Kid Mystic or Loonyland or Sleepless Hollow or Dr. Lunatic[if you really don't want to fork over an extra 10 for SwC]). And maybe 60 or 70 could get you game/name in credits + SwC or LL2:CE.

Presumably, too, the more you donate, the more boni (plural of bonus ) are offered. T-shirts, medals, extra games, a special mini-game for those who donated. 100 or 120 gets you good stuff + DRM-free soundtrack (he'd bring back Brent Christensen) + a small Yerfdog plushie. You know how well that would sell?! And higher and higher with more good stuff, into the hundreds and maybe even thousands. I'm sure you guys can think of plenty of reward ideas. Original drawings, lavish t-shirts, enormous posters, etc.

Of course, I very much doubt this will happen. Jamul probably doesn't want to take this kind of chance financially, as he appears to prefer the freedom of using Flash and Actionscript and working with the Boys people, and I don't really blame him too much. However, the chance of finishing this saga feels like it's slipping away with each year nothing new happens to Bouapha or Loony, so having at least one final game to wrap things up (even though it would mess with the original plot, I think) would be satisfying.

(Oh, and Jamul may not want the possibility to feel the wrath of us if he does not finish the game. We all know heads would roll for providing money and not receiving anything for it.)

If the word gets out, people who were once really enthusiastic but seem to have fallen by the wayside (Atkins, Coolguy, Mr. O, etc.) might be pulled back in. That's no the main purpose here, of course - we want a game in the style of the Hamumu Best-Sellers (unless there's an easier way) - but it would be a potential positive side effect.

Last edited by TyTBone; 03-17-2012 at 11:46 AM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down

Oh man, I now really want Jamul's original artwork and/or Yerfdog plushies.

Sadly, we probably won't hear from Jamul about this for a while because he just left for Hawaii. :U

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 03-17-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
Old 03-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStikBeaver View Post
Sadly, we probably won't hear from Jamul about this for a while because he just left for Hawaii. :U
Well not to be a debbie-downer but I doubt he'll actually reply to this thread. I suppose you could send him a personal email suggesting to take this seriously.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #19
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
And maybe 60 or 70 could get you game/name in credits + SwC or LL2:CE.

Nope.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:41 AM   #20
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Nope.
Why not?