Latest Journal update: Oct 21, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > General Blabber

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #21
TyTBone
College Boi

Default Re: Idea on how to prevent Hamumu from dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post

Look, no one is forcing you be here. Please stop trying to make US the bad guys when we criticize your ideas. Your attitude/what you've written here is not helping, and comes across as childish and whiny in and of itself.

That's the truth.
EDIT: Oh, thanks for editing your post earlier. I think the less sarcastic choice was a good move.

I'm sorry to keep pressing the issue, but maybe it's best for you if you take a minute to cool out. (This topic seems to be affecting you on a personal level.) People have brought this topic up in the past before, making somewhat empty threats to leave; I think they want attention in some fashion, which in truth is something we all crave - not always something we should give, of course. To some degree, the way you phrased the suggestion to actually leave feels like you are saying, "You can't express your feelings or ideas here! You are the most whiny and childish person ever to come onto the grounds of Hamumu. GET OUT of my SIGHT!" (It may not seem that way to you, however; remember that people don't think the same way, nor can written language always convey emotions correctly.) IMO, people shouldn't be criticized simply for bringing up a topic. It feels like a shouting match here instead of discussion.

I think most of us can agree Hamumu isn't as active as it once was; whether or not that needs to change, or whether there's really anything WE can do to change it, is obviously a matter of strong debate. "Dying" probably isn't the right word, as the site will always be up as long as Jamul keeps the server up, or buys the URL rights, or whatever else this may entail, but it's the word that some people have started using to describe how the community is less active than it once was.

Last edited by TyTBone; 03-30-2012 at 10:53 AM.
TyTBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #22
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

The remark I removed? Probably too far, yes.

However, the way yourter12 is acting makes me feel that it would be much better for him to leave, than futilly try to change Hamumu to what he wants. I guess I'll take out the capitalness, so you might want edit that quote to match?
Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #23
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
The remark I removed? Probably too far, yes.

However, the way yourter12 is acting makes me feel that it would be much better for him to leave, than futility try to change Hamumu to what he wants. I guess I'll take out the capitalness, so you might want edit that quote to match?
I may have been too picky, my apologies. I'll edit it, then won't press the issue anymore. Hopefully my new thread, if other people will contribute (thanks for the post), may give him some more "happenin'" options. Admittedly I'm pessimistic towards its usefulness, but I figured I'd at least TRY. (Like with my Kickstarter suggestion).

I agree that if someone doesn't like their current internet home, they should be able and encouraged to move on, but in a positive way. I don't like the way Hamumu is now, and occasionally come back to express that (hopefully I don't over do it), but for the most part I've moved on, and enjoy GOG.

Edit: I edited the edit. (Editception *ba dum tish*) Hope you accept it; I think I kept the general purpose while still toning it down a little.

Last edited by TyTBone; 03-30-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourter12 View Post
Ban me. I want to leave Hamumu because it is dead.
And I thought hyperme was a generally surly person. I wrote a post in a different thread about this topic. Go find it.

In spades, it was this:

Hamumu's not dead. 3 of the top 4 games on Boy's Life are Hamumu-made, and likely Pee Wee's nightmare, Pedro and the Pearls of Peril have shot up too. It seems to be doing just fine there. Boy's Life is where I found out about Hamumu. I love it here.

The forums are strict because if you want to market to families, make the site family friendly! /me remembers a "must...post...Hamumu...appropriate...response " reply. If you want to go cuss up a tornado, do it somewhere else. I don't really care if your homies were banned, they made the choice to push the boundary lines too far. Don't you do the same. As spammy as your ponies are sometimes, I can always scroll down past them. /me recommends you all listen to "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin. Y'all need to lighten up.

You see it as a "real mess" just because there's not enough Mafia Posters or game add-ons? MAKE SOME YOURSELF, THEN. /me puts "Right to Complain" by Trombone Shorty as the soundtract to this post.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
yourter12
forever gone

Well, I'm not permitted to host mafia games, so yeah.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
Pewskeepski
Peanut Gallery

Quote:
You are permitted to make SWC worlds though

I think I've said this before, but I'm not certain. Anyway, I'll say it here: The flash games are great, but they aren't the kind of games that support a community. You play them once, and after that your pretty much done. There's nothing to discus on the forums about them. And players can't mod them, or make add-ons for them, so they just don't last like the bigger games.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
Megadog
The Demagogue

So go through the channels to get there! It's not that difficult to gain the ability to host things (Except the games CL used to host, whatever they were called, they died because no one could host). Just because you can't be bothered to go through the steps to do something, doesn't give you the right to complain about it.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 PM   #28
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
So go through the channels to get there! It's not that difficult to gain the ability to host things (Except the games CL used to host, whatever they were called, they died because no one could host). Just because you can't be bothered to go through the steps to do something, doesn't give you the right to complain about it.
Titans and Tunnels, by Coolguy, I believe.

More on-topic insight later if I can come up with any.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #29
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Quote:
This forum doesnt run on mafia, host an rpg. DO SOMTHING positive rather than complain
Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #30
cyberclone42
I'm not here.

I think the main reason so many are leaving Hamumu is because people grow up. As people grow up, lives change. They mature. In many cases, a family-friendly environment is too restricting. Many people older, younger, or the same age as me post stupid, expletive-filled things on Facebook for attention. Those people turn to drugs, alcohol, you name it. Very few in my experience have the ability or mindset to stay mature as they grow up. The teens are a very weird time, something I'm sure all of you can affirm. Staying Hamumu-appropriate might be too much of a challenge for people. It's a matter of "Don't mess up Don't mess up Don't mess up Don't mess up" when posting in a Hamumu thread after visiting TF2, Facebook, or whatever the social sites you visit are. Many communities aren't as mature or safe as Hamumu, which is a reason to like it. Don't like the rules? Migrate. I'll be staying here in this community, where my friends are. A place where people are reasonable (mostly) and intelligent, and know how to have good, clean fun.

TL;DR: People get nastier with age, Try not to.

Last edited by Jamul; 04-02-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: not something I want to promote
cyberclone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #31
TyTBone
College Boi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
Rebellion happens during the teen years as people are "figuring" themselves out, or however you want to call it. Generally, though, society's expectations come back to them, and they mature at least somewhat and stop bullying and cursing all the time and that stuff.

This forum is actually rather laidback if you don't post inappropriate stuff. As in, you won't see posts in some sub-forums for weeks at a time.

Really, though, I still think it has a lot to do with a lack of "classically-styled" game releases. This is beating a dead horse to a second (or 50th) death, but this may still be part of it. "Something interesting and surprising is coming. Who knows what?!" said the Hamumu Newsletter. I'd like to think Jamul may be turning to his roots again; maybe he's found an easier way to make his classically-styled game. It seems unlikely, but still a (small) possibility.

EDIT: As always I'm not saying that Jamul does not create good, even great games. It's just often genres I'm not interested in (like the latest, although I may try it) or ones that just aren't as substantial or "draw you in" as much as LL2 or SwC. SwC didn't really "draw me in" as an overall game, because there was no real overarching goal, other than beat as many worlds as you can. But there was still PLENTY to talk about on the forum.

Last edited by TyTBone; 04-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #32
yourter12
forever gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberclone42 View Post
I think the main reason so many are leaving Hamumu is because people grow up. As people grow up, lives change. They mature. In many cases, a family-friendly environment is too restricting. Many people older, younger, or the same age as me post stupid, expletive-filled things on Facebook for attention. Those people turn to drugs, alcohol, you name it. Very few in my experience have the ability or mindset to stay mature as they grow up. The teens are a very weird time, something I'm sure all of you can affirm. Staying Hamumu-appropriate might be too much of a challenge for people. It's a matter of "Don't mess up Don't mess up Don't mess up Don't mess up" when posting in a Hamumu thread after visiting TF2, Facebook, or whatever the social sites you visit are. Many communities aren't as mature or safe as Hamumu, which is a reason to like it. Don't like the rules? Migrate. I'll be staying here in this community, where my friends are. A place where people are reasonable (mostly) and intelligent, and know how to have good, clean fun.

TL;DR: People get nastier with age, Try not to.
Very true.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #33
Wackodude
Mustachioed Ninja Duck

Lightbulb Re: Idea on how to prevent Hamumu from dying

Might wanna change your title to something other than "forever gone" now that you're posting regularly now...