Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 18, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Making Dumb Games

Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Default OFFICIAL Dumb Dare Hosting/Rules Thread!

--NOTE: DUE TO IT BEING BHE MONTH NOT GOING TO START DUMB DARES UNTIL NOVEMBER 1ST--

(okay, so, obviously dumb dares have died. SC would take care of it all, I see he's busy with so much things, so I decided to take over. I understand if you guys become bored with Dumb Dares, but I think maybe we could get this much ->[]<- more activity on hamumu if we get more fan-made gameshamplatthat the community could play and just have more fun. anyway, if it seems too rude to take over SC's job, then sorry. here we go.)

Hello! Attempting to Revive DDs here, so if you want to Host a Dumb Dare or Know the Rules about a Dumb Dare, then this is the thread to check out!

Hosting Requirements:
  • Create a game in a Dumb Dare. After or Before the deadline. Post a link to it here, or PM me.
OR
  • Have hosting experience in Mafia, T&T or D&D must be OK'd by me.

Hosting Rules:
  1. Every Dumb Dare must have a Theme. Once you sign up in this thread, don't reveal the theme until the contest starts.
  2. Ratings in Dumb Dares are optional, but recommended. Awarding Yerfbucks for ratings is optional as well. 4 or 5 is the recommended amount of categories for ratings, but you may have more or less as you wish.
  3. You may have some sort of prize for every Contestant. Ribbons count as prizes, but you can do a little something more like put a few yerfbucks into it. But it's optional.
  4. It's required to award 4 different Ribbons: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & Participant. Ribbons should include the Dumb Dare number, color-coded to show which ribbon it is: Blue for 1st; Red for 2nd; Green for 3rd; Gray for Participant; Purple for Host. Max ribbon size is 32 by 48 pixels.
  5. You may have 2 sign-ups on the list at the same time, provided that one of them is in progress or is finished.
  6. Once the deadline for your Dumb Dare is over, you must create a Voting Thread for that Dumb Dare. The voting phase must be 7 days or longer.
  7. The next Dumb Dare should begin after/during the Voting Phase of the previous Dumb Dare.
  8. The minimum deadline for a Dumb Dare is 2 weeks. The maximum is 4 weeks. If you need shorter or longer, you must PM me and have me OK the deadline.

Current Hosting List
DD#28: Boneheads1999
DD#29:
DD#30:

Last edited by Boneheads; 10-18-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Default Re: OFFICIAL Dumb Dare Hosting/Rules Thread!

YEAHHHHHH I love the DDs and was dissapointed that it died. Not too happy with the rules though and ill look through them below. Definitly contesting in the first and will hopeully host second (Ive contributed in numerous dumb daes in the past.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post
[COLOR="Red"]
Hosting Requirements:
  • Create a game in a Dumb Dare. (before the deadline passes)
OR
  • Create a game in a Dumb Dare, after the Deadline passes. Post a download link to the game in this thread, PM a Download Link to me, or E-Mail me a Download Link to tommybenson1999@gmail.com. However I hardly check my E-Mail. Too complicated, if you disapper. I reckon we should be able to host if we have submitted a DD
OR
  • Have hosting experience in Mafia, T&T or D&D. Any other Experience must be OK'd by me. Only issue ith this is hosts with no programming XP, but thats cool with me.

Hosting Rules:
  1. Every Dumb Dare MUST have a Theme. Once you sign up in this thread, don't reveal the theme until the contest starts. Replace must with should. I always have a theme but i dont think it should be compulsory.
  2. Ratings in Dumb Dares are optional, but recommended. Awarding Yerfbucks for ratings is optional as well. 4 or 5 is the recommended amount of categories for ratings, but you may have more or less as you wish.
  3. You MUST have some sort of prize for every Contestant. It doesn't have to be Yerfbucks. It can be Monster Cards (which is Y$5) or it could be an image of a Trophy. It's up to you. Som people will be broke or lazy, i always have prizes but no ribbons, i recomend change must to should.
  4. You MUST award 4 different Ribbons: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & Participant. Ribbons should include the Dumb Dare number, color-coded to show which ribbon it is: Blue for 1st; Red for 2nd; Green for 3rd; Gray for Participant; Purple for Host. Max ribbon size is 32 by 48 pixels. Replace must with should i reckon.
  5. You may have 2 sign-ups on the list at the same time, provided that:
    a) One of them is in progress or finished and/or
    b) There is at least 4 sign-ups between the 2 sign-ups. Delete this rule. If you want in again, post as soon as your DD is done.
  6. Once the deadline for your Dumb Dare is over, you must create a Voting Thread for that Dumb Dare. The voting phase must be 7 days or longer. This was done a bit in the old dd times, but often very few people voted. Replace must with "can if you want"
  7. The next Dumb Dare should begin after/during the Voting Phase of the previous Dumb Dare.
  8. The minimum deadline for a Dumb Dare is 2 weeks. The maximum is 4 weeks. If you need shorter or longer, you must PM me and have me OK the deadline.
Just some recommendations, but thanks so much for reviving this (I remembered i used revival in a theme once :P no one contributed)

Current Hosting List
DD#28: Boneheads1999
DD#29: Gigacat!
DD#30:

Last edited by Gigacat; 10-18-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Gigacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Megadog
The Demagogue

Seconded.; However, I'll hold off signing yet because of current events.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Thanks guys! I'll go ahead and modify the rules to most of your likings, GC, the ones that are reasonable.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Notes:
Rework 3 and 4, maybe have required ribbon prizes with additional other stuffs if the host chooses. That way every host can for sure provide every contestant with something, but most will probably add a little extra supplement onto it.

Maybe don't 'require' the poll but still suggest it, I feel like a post in TM is more likely to be seen than posts in this forum, so a larger piece of the community will see what is going on over here and perhaps decide to join in.

Rule #1, maybe de-cap the MUST, otherwise it's fine. You can't really host a DD if there's no theme (free for all=theme), unless you just post something like 'Here's DD #XX, get at it!" without stating that it's even an open theme.

Gigacat has the right idea on rule 5b, just make it so you can't sign up again until your DD has concluded, that gives plenty of time for anyone else who wanted to sign up to sign up, and still allows hosts to repeat if times are slow. Do you think you're going to get a group of 5+ hosts who will want to keep signing up? I'm doubtful.

All that said, I'm glad to see something happening here.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 10-18-2012 at 12:00 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

I've redone the things I believe is reasonable. But voting threads are required, so we know officially who's 1st, 2nd, etc. etc. in a Dumb Dare.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads1999 View Post
I've redone the things I believe is reasonable. But voting threads are required, so we know officially who's 1st, 2nd, etc. etc. in a Dumb Dare.
If you're hosting DDs without voting threads, 1st/2nd/3rd can be decided via whoever had the most points in the rating system used (assuming the host uses one). Honestly though it should be up to the host whether to use a rating system, a voting system, or some combination thereof.

In regards to running DD's in my place go ahead. I would do so myself but honestly I just don't have time anymore between college, honors projects, and all the extracurricular stuff I'm doing not to mention being Head of Advertising (and potentially soon-to-be admin, if I'm elected) at one of the major Grifball Leagues. I'm not even sure if I have the time to play mafia as much as I used to here. I'll probably participate in the occasional DD and host one if I can find the time to do so, but there's just too much going on for me to run the whole thing.

Also, here are the rules from the original thread. Note that these are over two years old, I've made a couple changes (which, for the most part, are clearly marked as bold for an updated rule or strikethrough for a rule that has been deleted) to account for the lesser interest and any changes that weren't included in the original post, but if you guys think anything needs to change feel free to do so. Stuff that's underlined are parts that I feel might need to be changed, but it's up to you guys if you want to change those sections or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993
Dumb Dare Hosting Rules
1. All contests should have a theme. When you sign up, do NOT post the theme. Reveal the theme only when the contest starts.
2. Ratings in Dumb Dares are optional, but recommended. Awarding YBs for ratings is also optional. 4 or 5 is the recommended number of categories for ratings, but you can have more or less if you wish.
3. All contests should have some sort of prize. This is a contest after all! If you are giving YBs for ratings, then you don't need to include a large prize. What I did was give 1 YB per 2 stars and gave the winner in the voting portion an extra 5YBs, 2nd Place an extra 3YBs, and 3rd an extra 1YB. How you want to do the prizes is up to you. Yerfbucks are preferred for a prize, but are NOT required.
4. All contests should award ribbons for host, 1st place, 2nd place, 3rd place, and participant. Ribbons should include the Dumb Dare number and should be color coded to show which ribbon it is-- blue for 1st, red for 2nd, green for 3rd, gray for participant, and purple for host. Max size is 32/48 pixels.
5. Each host may only have one slot on the hosting list at a time. This does not include DDs in progress.

6. In order to sign up, you must either have created a game before or have prior hosting experience on this forum. Accepted hosting experience includes Mafia games, T&T, and prior Dumb Dares. Any other hosting experience must be OK'd by me.
7. There MUST be a voting phase with a reasonable time for voting. 7 days is recommended, but you can do longer if you want.
8. DDs are held once a month, starting on the first of each month.
9. Deadline is up to the host, so long as it is before the end of the month.
Also, I'll go ahead and sticky this thread and unsticky the old one.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Hosting List
DD#28: Boneheads1999 (Pixel Platformer) [Game-making Phase]
DD#29: Gigacat (???) [Needs to be started tomorrow]
DD#30:

So yeah Gigacat, make sure you post DD#29 sometime tomorrow. Make sure the voting phase starts January 1stunless the mayans were right.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Hosting List
DD#29: Gigacat - "Will it ever end?" (Game-making Phase)
DD#30: Boneheads1999
DD#31: Boneheads1999

Now, it's ok to have as many italicized names on the list, because italicized is blank. Anybody can sign up for 30 or 31, but if nobody does, then come January 1st I'll host 30. same with February 1st & hosting 31.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

I'll be on break most of January, so I'll take 30.

Hosting List
DD#29: Gigacat - "Will it ever end?" (Game-making Phase)
DD#30: Sonicchaos1993
DD#31: Boneheads1999

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)

Last edited by sonicchaos1993; 12-08-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Silly formatting not copy/pasting
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Sonicchaos1993 needs to start DD#30 sometime today. If it isn't up by tonight 11:59 PM PCT/Jamul Time, I'll make it sometime tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Have family over for New Years. I'll get it up as soon as I can.

Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Hosting List:
DD#31: Boneheads1999 [In Progress]
DD#32: Boneheads1999 (March)
DD#33: Boneheads1999 (April)

Remember, Italicized names means they're just a placeholder. It's still blank, but if the 1st of the month comes and nobody's signed up for the spot, then the italicized person hosts.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Gigacat
Pinkie Pirate!

Ill take it.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #15
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Hosting List
DD#31: Boneheads1999 [In Progress]
DD#32: Gigacat [March 1st]
DD#33: Boneheads1999 [Placeholder] [April 1st]
Old 03-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #16
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Gigacat: DD#31 needs to be posted today. If it's not up by the time I go to bed (late) then I'll post it.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #17
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Hosting List
DD#31: Gigacat [Finishing Up]
DD#32: Boneheads1999 [In Progress]
DD#33: <nobody> (May 1st)
DD#34: <nobody> (June 1st)

If nobody signs up for #33 and/or #34, I'll host them.

Last edited by Boneheads; 04-02-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #18
wedxzas
Dumb Person

I don't want to sign up for one, but the numbers seem to be off.

DD#32: Gigacat [Finishing Up]
DD#33: Boneheads1999 [In Progress]

DD#34: <nobody> (May 1st)
DD#35: <nobody> (June 1st)

&&&
wedxzas is offline   Reply With Quote