Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 19, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > Games > Mafia & Forum Games

Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: Mafia 26 - Mass Effect Mafia

I'll have to agree with Megadog here. I'll VOTE:WEDXAS for now, and unvote if he gives reason to.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #42
wedxzas
Dumb Person

Well, I'm town, but that's all I have to say.
I don't really have any proof so...

&&&
wedxzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #43
Julian
Is a ninja

I'm not sure whether to believe that or not - it's a bad move for a mafia to claim town, but that makes it a good move too for this exact reason.

Since he wasn't declared a lurker, I'm going to hold my vote.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM   #44
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Vote Count (4 to lynch)
wedxzas - 3

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)

Last edited by sonicchaos1993; 04-24-2013 at 10:26 AM.
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #45
RandomCommander
Insert some Random Title here.

Location: Master Control of Time, Space and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I'm still going to Vote: Wedxzas, I still can't trust him, and my reason stated in the previous day still stands.

The Random Signature 2.0, now with 8% more POOTIS!
RandomCommander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #46
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Fine I suppose, I may as well do something.

POS on Julian though, will explain tomorrow.

Vote: Wexzas
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #47
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

wedxzas has been lynched! He was Tela Vasir, the Asari Spectre, and wasn't indoctrinated.

As night falls, the Reapers, who had been slowly indoctrinating texasjoshua all this time, complete the indoctrination process, turning him into a Reaper thrall. seamonkey and Julian reveal themselves to be the Reapers Sovereign and Harbinger, and the Reapers, quickly surround the remaining Spectres, who are quickly destroyed.

With the Spectres eliminated, the Reapers use their powers of indoctrination to infiltrate the Citadel, and successfully activate the Mass Relay hidden inside, allowing the remainder of the Reapers to enter the galaxy from dark space, and allowing the harvest to once again begin.

The Reapers (seamonkey, Julian, and texasjoshua) have won!

The way this game worked was that there were two initial cult members: seamonkey (the cult leader) and Julian. The high number of inital cult members was intended to balance the fact that indoctrination takes a certain length of time to process. Each Spectre had a different amount of willpower - the greater their willpower, the longer it took for them to be converted. That said, in a game with this few players, two initial cult was way to much even with that restriction. If I were to run it again with a similar number of players, the cult would only start with 1 member.

At the same time though, the cult's victory was very much helped by the complete lack of discussion by the town. seamonkey and Julian basically led the town today to lynch wedxzas which sealed the victory after about 2-3 days of nobody talking whatsoever. Just because there is no information doesn't mean you can't talk - in fact, it means that discussion needs to happen so that the cult can be weeded out. Instead we saw two days of "oh nobody died lets do nothing."

Weapon shipments also were supposed to happen at various points in the game to give Spectres more powers to combat the growing cult. Unfortunately we only got far enough in the game for one such shipment to occur.

Roles:
seamonkey: Sovereign - Cult Leader
The leader of the Reapers, he had the ability to start the indoctrination process on a player during the night. This power could not be used if another player was already in the process of being indoctrinated, but while the process was underway he had the ability to send an anonymous message to that player. This was the "Beware of the lurkers" message texasjoshua received early on.

Julian: Harbinger - Cult Member
Initially I was going to have Harbinger be a vote-controller - that is, he would've had no vote himself but instead could force one player to vote for a certain player. As it seemed like it would've made the cult too powerful to start, this ability was removed before the game started, and he became just a normal cult member. In future games using this setup, I would remove this role entirely - the cult is too overpowered otherwise despite indoctrination taking a period of time.

texasjoshua: Commander Shepard - Doctor/Cult Member
Shepard had the ability to stop the indoctrination process on a player, but he couldn't do so on the same player twice in a row or do so on himself. Unfortunately, the cult had the good fortune to convert him night one so his power was never really able to benefit the town. At the same time though, Shepard had the highest willpower amongst the Spectres (taking 4 nights to convert), so looking at it that way converting him Night 1 bought the town some time.

RandomCommander: Saren Arturius - Spectre
Saren was one of the weakest-willed Spectres and could be converted in 2 nights. He also would have gained the ability to double-vote Day 5, which is unfortunate timing since had it taken one more night for texas to be converted, the town would've survived for another day at least, since they would've still held a majority.

Gigacat: Illusive Man - Spectre
The Illusive Man was the weakest-willed Spectre and could be converted in a single night. He would've gained the ability to use Cerberus's satellite network to track the movements of players tonght, but again, the game ended before that could happen.

Megadog: Admiral Anderson - Spectre/Cop-of-sorts
Anderson was the strongest-willed Spectre after Shepard, taking 3 nights to be converted. He gained the ability to determine if a player was indoctrinated during the night Night 3.

wedzxas: Tela Vasir - Spectre
Vasir had the same amount of will as Saren and could be converted in 2 nights. She would have gained the ability to use her biotic powers to put players in Stasis over the night (roleblocker) Night 5.

Thoughts
I'm quite honestly considering just being done with hosting and maybe even mafia in general. No discussion whatsoever occurred in this game which doomed the town, and a similar thing happened in Borderlands Mafia (although that setup was also a bit broken I felt). Seriously, the entire point of the game is to deduce who's mafia/cult based on what they say. Not wait for a power role to give the town information. The lynch that doomed the town today wasn't even based on discussion - it was based on poor meta-gaming (lynch him because I didn't tag him as a lurker, when nowhere was it said I was going to do that? Really?) .

On that note as well... wedzxas... I really don't know why you insist on signing up for mafia games if you have no intention of posting. The only reason why he even posted anything at all is because I PMed him basically saying he would be modkilled if he didn't stop lurking, and from what I understand a similar thing happened last game before he did anything at all. Lurkers have had a hand in killing mafia games here for at least a year or so and continue to do so, and at this point I'm not even sure if getting rid of them will save mafia here at all.

TL;DR lurkers kill mafia, on to Mafia 27.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #48
seamonkey
spoon eater

I guess I have a few thoughts as well: I felt that lurking really killed the game as well, and felt almost guilty in taking the win in the fashion that I/we did. (I would like to point out that I don't really think we won by metagaming, so much as he's said 5 words...that's bad. We probably also could of won by killing megadog) Towards the end I was half tempted to lynch off Julian, because it would of made for a more fun game (sorry, but this was a bit sad on the towns part, once again no offence.) The ability to hint to TJ that lurking was bad at night was also kinda fun. I feel that in future games (like for example if I ever hosted), we need really strict anti-lurking rules. Normally I hate this kind of thing, but I've been converted.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #49
texasjoshua
Secretly Dr. Lunatic

Heh, the irony in this game is too great. Shepard gets converted first but right before the game ended I got super suspicious of Julian, based on what he was saying to get people killed. Also, Seamonkey, I trusted you!!! I shouldve know, deep down I knew you too were evil but I just wanted to think you were a good guy.

Also technically I won this game. Just saying. I'm mafia now.

Overall Sonic I loved the style of the game, it looks like you had a lot of roles that would come out over time and that's neat, the whole indoctrination thing was also really cool. The cult was really a neat thing. It really is saddening that people didn't talk more, perhaps someone could consider making a thread where everyone can contribute on good ways of starting discussion.

In any case, off to being mafia again!
texasjoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:43 PM   #50
Julian
Is a ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicchaos1993 View Post
I'm quite honestly considering just being done with hosting and maybe even mafia in general. No discussion whatsoever occurred in this game which doomed the town [....] the entire point of the game is to deduce who's mafia/cult based on what they say.
Exactly. But the problem here is a bit more complicated than just "nobody's saying anything." The people who play are few and far between these days, and those who do play are either old players or new players. The old ones have been through all the motions time and time again, and now all mafia games work the same whether or not people are talking - there's too much information from past games, and the older players already know they aren't going to get anything usable from the usual things to spark discussion (like random voting), since they've been done so much everybody's used to them. Mafia here has become tedious and routine, and that's a problem that can't be fixed without an influx of new active members and new strategies.

Perhaps the best thing for mafia now is games like this, but with significantly more players - they encourage people to start thinking differently and talk more. Even if nobody talked for a couple days, eventually people would realize that there's a cult and start trying to figure out who was in it, but there wasn't enough time for that this game. My tactic in the beginning was to delay and cause no lynch because it wasn't clear that there was a cult, and were more time to pass than did people would have pointed that out.

tl;dr Not enough players, too many old players, not enough that's new and interesting.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #51
RandomCommander
Insert some Random Title here.

Location: Master Control of Time, Space and Chocolate Chip Cookies

I have no thoughts on this game to say... I'm to baffled and frustrated and the overpowered thought of how cheap the "enemies" were.

The fact is, we have too few players even for a good game of mafia. If anything demoralizing to the mafia game happens, I.E. Lurkers and rulebreaking, the game is technically "over" already, for it happens too quick and is too broken.

All Mafia games are like this now. I'm willing to change it with a mafia game of my own, but it may be hard... I can always try my best!

The Random Signature 2.0, now with 8% more POOTIS!
RandomCommander is offline   Reply With Quote