Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 20, 2017
Old 05-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
wedxzas
Dumb Person

Default Xbox One used for spying?

Is this true? And if so, please don't buy this console.

&&&
wedxzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Julian
Is a ninja

Send a message via MSN to Julian
Default Re: Xbox One used for spying?

This came from Tumblr. That alone is enough reason not to trust it.

Also, from the people I follow on Twitter, if this was true I'd have heard about it.

EDIT:

Now, are parts of it true? Yes. The Kinect camera does have a microphone, and is required to be connected to operate the console. Were it hooked up to a system that was capable of attempting to discern your emotions, it would be able to - but it would still require light, and the XBox would not be capable of doing this.

The bottom two things are best described by a combination of words I can't use here, but they're clearly false. For the left one, whoever made this doesn't have a clue what a patent actually is, and is also painfully unaware of privacy laws and the efforts of people like EFF and Fight for the Future. If Microsoft had any intention of doing this, those two groups would be all over it and get it shut down. For the right one, you don't pay for content by number of people, you pay for the content itself. If you buy a video, you have the right to display it, in private and not for profit, to as many people as you like.

Last edited by Julian; 05-31-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

From what I gather from google, It's fake. What a relief :P
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Somebody is watching you,
they are going to get you,ohhdadaohhdada
you can ran and hide,but they're going to get to you,
think before you take the money and runaway,
(synthesizer playing)
du du du de du,
What's this?

Last edited by REACTOR; 05-31-2013 at 07:18 PM.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

While the Xbox One developers are building their own gallows, this is mostly scare mongering. The camera can be turned off if you cut the main power supply off.

Of course, it does need to connect to the internet every 24 hours, which is all kinds of stupid.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

I've chosen to not condemn the Xbox One until after E3. Or even, a month or two after it comes out. Need to see what people who actually know what's up say. With that, I've also tried to shield myself from reading the blogs/forums/others about Xbox One which seemingly just dump piles of hatred on it.

The always-on microphone is so that you can start your Xbox by giving a verbal command, and that sounds like a good thing to me.

It autoconnecting to the internet is also a good thing, on the surface. I don't know what it actually does if it has no internet though. Does it just say "I'm sorry, you aren't on the internet. I'm not going to do anything now, even though you have your DVD, game, whatever, in disc form or saved to a hard drive. I'm just not gonna do it. Muahahahaha" or something like that?

If it automatically jumps onto the internet once a day to say, check for updates, then yeah I'm all for that. I hate turning on my Xbox to play a game just to find it has to go through an update before I can do anything.

Anyway, I haven't really read much into the Xbox One yet, so I'm probably not the best person to be making comments on it. I just wouldn't condemn it just yet.

Last edited by .Blue Dwarf.; 06-01-2013 at 01:21 PM.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #7
Julian
Is a ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Does it just say "I'm sorry, you aren't on the internet. I'm not going to do anything now, even though you have your DVD, game, whatever, in disc form or saved to a hard drive. I'm just not gonna do it. Muahahahaha" or something like that?
The rumor mill said that, but it was never true. Microsoft themselves have denied it, I believe, and I know people who can reliably say otherwise. No need to worry.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
The rumor mill said that, but it was never true. Microsoft themselves have denied it, I believe, and I know people who can reliably say otherwise. No need to worry.
Nope, they just recently confirmed that a connection is needed every 24 hours. Otherwise, no gaming for you! It's a front page thing on The Escapist, which I can't actually link because it's not Hamumu friendly.

I can, however, link the official Xbox One site.

Quote:
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:56 AM   #9
Julian
Is a ninja

Yeah, I saw that. It's stupid, but at least it's just checking in for a second.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

There are few places in the world that you can't get an internet signal.
This doesn't even seem like something people could complain about, 99% of them have at least 'spotty' internet connections. Even if your internet goes down for a day, you'd be fine.

This seems like a non-issue that people brought up just so they could complain.
(I was like 'what? why would they do that!?' when I read your post yesterday, but when I read it today I was like 'This does not impact me in any way... Why do I care?')

So, yeah.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #11
Julian
Is a ninja

Except internet is not always available for a continuous 24 hours, and there are people who don't have internet but may still want to get this system. It doesn't impact most people most of the time, but it's a ridiculously stupid idea for when it does impact people.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedxzas View Post

is this true? And if so, please don't buy this console.
it is true!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

What are your sources?

Pretty sure most of the stuff there is false. Or at very least, not NEARY as bad as they are trying to make it sound.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
calthax
Karyian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedxzas View Post

Is this true? And if so, please don't buy this console.
The Xbox One is not bad! This is a joke.

Last edited by calthax; 07-31-2013 at 05:08 PM.
calthax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #15
TyTBone
College Boi

I'm pretty sure this has changed since the backlash, at least the requirement for being online every 24 hours. (Or maybe they were planning changing it all along to seem as the "good guys". )

As for spying, well, Edward Snowden was granted temporary asylum in Russia.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #16
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTBone View Post
I'm pretty sure this has changed since the backlash, at least the requirement for being online every 24 hours. (Or maybe they were planning changing it all along to seem as the "good guys". )

As for spying, well, Edward Snowden was granted temporary asylum in Russia.
Wrong assumption I made

Last edited by REACTOR; 10-15-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #17
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Why put out a warning poster that isn't true?

Perhaps if you wanted people to not buy the Xbox One, you would make these things. (Let's say you make a similar product, and Xbox One sales are detrimental to your sales...)

Perhaps if you were afraid of the NSA, or you are just simply anti-government/an anarchist. You would make things up to get people scared. Get people revved up for your cause.

Perhaps you are just part of the typical rumor mill that is the internet, you don't know why you're making things up. You just are. Maybe you heard these things from someone else and believed them to be true, and you just wanted to spread the word. Maybe you want some tiny bit of recognition on the internet. To be praised as a whistle blower, or something... Get likes, or karma, or some other form of acknowledgement.

In any case, Xbox One was riddled with issues that the public hated! Many, many things about the Xbox One were changed and reversed due to public backlash, and a lot of that happened after this thread started. So the info in the original post isn't even accurate anymore, and it wasn't accurate in the first place.

Why would someone send out a warning that meant nothing? Why not? There's plenty of ways to profit from slinging lies. (see above)

Do you believe everything you read on the internet?
The fact that you think that "No, it can't be false" is really concerning to me. It most certainly can be false!

What makes the words on that poster any more valid and true than the words I say? Is it the fancy graphics? That poster was just made by some internet-folk like myself or yourself. That said... I don't know who actually made that poster. But I stand by what I said.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #18
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Blue Dwarf. View Post
Do you believe everything you read on the internet?
The fact that you think that "No, it can't be false" is really concerning to me. It most certainly can be false!
You Really Think Someone Would Do That? Just Go On the Internet and Tell Lies?

Note, in order to make this relevant, it could have been a publicity stunt. Some companies will do anything for money.

Last edited by Megadog; 10-15-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #19
sonicchaos1993
Chaos sold separately.

Although I personally would really like to see the Xbox One available with Kinect optional, if you're really worried about any possibility people are able to use it to "spy" on you (which is very unlikely, for reasons already explained in detail in this thread), just throw a towel over the Kinect or face it backwards.

All that aside, while there's been a lot of question marks with the Xbox One, there's a couple positive points that deserve to be pointed out:
1) Microsoft actually listened! The Xbox One had some horrible "features" when first announced and after seeing the backlash, Microsoft had the good sense to remove or alter those "features." While there's still a couple issues with the console, they could have easily ignored the community backlash and kept all the initial features. Having a company willing to change based on fan feedback is usually a good thing.

2) While lots of people (including myself) don't like the fact that Kinect is now bundled with the console, it does provide some interesting opportunities. You never really saw many games using the Kinect, and fewer that were actually good. For the most part, games that used it were a gimmick. A couple games, however did a good job of using it to enhance the game experience even if it wasn't required for gameplay. For example, Mass Effect 3 used it to allow the player to issue commands to their squad using the player's voice. While it sounds gimmicky, the voice detection was actually pretty decent and it could be very useful in battles. Instead of having to bring up the power wheel and use your squad's skills, you can just shout and them while aiming at a target and they'll use the skill if they're able. While it's not cruitial to experiencing the game, it enhances the gameplay for players who do choose to use it while staying out of the way for those who don't.

I think that, with Kinect now standard on the Xbox One, we're going to see more developers willing to develop good Kinect games and we're going to see more games that, while not requiring Kinect, use it to enhance the player's experience like ME3. On the 360, Kinect wasn't really a priority for a lot of developers - it was a moderately-expensive peripheral for the 360 and not a lot of Xbox owners had one. The audience just wasn't there to justify any considerable effort on a Kinect game. With Kinect now included on the console for the Xbox One, though, that can change. Anyone who has an Xbox will now have Kinect, which opens a lot of new doors for developers. They no longer have to ask the question of how many people would use Kinect integration, and now that every Xbox owner has Kinect developers will be more willing to invest into Kinect games. Using a certain feature is much easier when you know that all gamers with a certain console will have that feature.

AGLA FL15 Pro Circuit Champion - Tank for Hybrid Theory (AGLA) - Captain/Hybrid for Zero Logic (GGL)
sonicchaos1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:59 PM   #20
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Perhaps you're right, everything on the internet is not always correct.

Last edited by REACTOR; 10-17-2013 at 09:45 PM.