Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Nov 27, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 07-08-2014, 04:48 PM   #1
tyconger191
Badguy

Default Why is it so many great games don't have level editors?

I feel that in order to make something awesome, it needs to be given a level editor, but I find more and more that great games that could be greater, like Crash Bandicoot games and Oddworld games and Spyro games, don't have editors at all! It is very upsetting because I would be so much more entertained by those games if they did. So, why don't they? Where is the logic behind it?

My website: http://conger001.wix.com/tyconger192sworlds
tyconger191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #2
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Default Re: Why is it so many great games don't have level editors?

Please keep in mind that there are multiple ways to make a game!

The common way is to start from scratch, making a backbone, adding GUIs, functionality and then, trying to make it fun to play with characters and that sort of stuff. In which case, most developers like Gaijin, *Some Strangely Named Company*, Amanita Design, etc, started this way.

The other way, is to what some may say, Re-invent the wheel, so some developers first develop an "editor" which fits their needs so they can easily construct the levels, and maybe, even include 3rd party help. Such games are Dr L.

In the first case, since the developers started *ALMOST* from scratch, just from a backbone, it would be harder to implement an editor.

Last edited by ChessManiac; 07-08-2014 at 06:02 PM.
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
N64 Lord
CEO of the color magenta

If you watch making the game videos (I have the ratchet and clank, sly cooper, and rogue squadron in mind, but anything will do.) You'll notice that on the desktops behind the people talking, there tends to be ~3ish windows open, 2 with walls of code, and a smaller one showing a visual of what they do to the game.

Many games are constructed with tools that simply aren't in the game. This is unwieldy but it has some advantages over a fixed editor (especially for collision). Other games, like tony hawk's pro skater and most racing games, feature an editor that was clearly not the one used to create the in- game stages.

Then there are games like The Battle for Wesnoth, or for preference, Starcraft, which give you the same editor the creators used to build the campaign and multiplayer stages. Like with supreme with cheese, The game engine powers the editor, not the other way around. This can let creators make huge amounts of levels quickly, and obviously creates wide community content, instead of limiting it to the minority able to replace code and the like.

Some games are easy to imagine as having an editor. Say megaman 2 or bust a move. Take a paleete sheet of differnt platforms, drag paste them in, and then add some triggers for the moving platforms and to add solid floor and ladder qualities, and your practically done.

Only, Megaman renders indivuadal screens from its hard drive or emulates doing so. Having a go-to next from one to another is not a viable go-around, because their is no entry point command other than hard coded links, which are needed to make sure that you appear at the same height entering a new room. You couldn't even make every custom level be like the scrolling parts of larger rooms lie toad man's stage, because that is not a normal transformation either, as you leave the "left" part of the stage it is actually de-spawning at the same time "new" stage pours in from the right.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:54 AM   #4
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Ya, totally true, just what N64 Lord said!
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote