Yes, it should be more meaningful and serious... 2 13.33%
No, I think it should stay the way it is... 11 73.33%
Uhm... I'll write what I think in a post... 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Halloween Horror

I think we should have more meaning to our Halloween contests, Halloween was not originally meant to be Trick-or-Treating or dressing up in sort-of meaningless costumes. It was supposed to be a celebration for the dead. How did we get to this mockery?
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #2
Megadog
The Demagogue

Default Re: Halloween Horror

Because it's fun? Seriously, you want a dying community to celebrate death? No, I think Halloween is fine as what it is, and that's coming from someone who lives in a country that doesn't have Halloween.

Also, AFAIK, Halloween was a day for warding off evil spirits. You got soul cakes when you went to peoples doors. No one celebrated death, that bit was tacked on after Halloween became what it is today.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Oh, I see, well I think it's too late to edit my post now. But if that's what you believe, then I won't argue.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down Re: Halloween Horror

Quote:
Halloween or Hallowe'en (/ˌhæləˈwiːn, -oʊˈiːn, ˌhɑːl-/; a contraction of "All Hallows' Evening")[5] also known as All Hallows' Eve,[6] is a yearly celebration observed in a number of countries on 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian feast of All Hallows' Day. It initiates the triduum of Hallowmas, the time in the liturgical year dedicated to remembering the dead, including saints (hallows), martyrs, and all the faithful departed believers.[7]

According to many scholars, All Hallows' Eve is a Christianized feast initially influenced by Celtic harvest festivals,[8][9] with possible pagan roots, particularly the Gaelic Samhain.[6][10][11] Other academics maintain that it originated independently of Samhain and has solely Christian roots.[12]
Pulled from wikipedia. Nothing really about evil spirits until the modernization of the holiday. Honestly I think what we do here for Halloween is fine, although some more participation would be nice.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 01-05-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:31 AM   #5
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

I think we should have our Halloween Horror ideology somewhere in the middle.
I think celebrating the dead here at Hamumu may not be good. But then again, putting all our ideas to warding off the dead, may be bad too.
So yeah, somewhere in the middle.
But I think we should have more serious names. The reason why I've been reading the fora for years, and not secretly participating in any of these contests, such as SS,WW,HH, is because some of the names really off-put me.
Why don't we experiment a bit. Why not put in the rules of a few HH contests, "Your names must be somewhat clever (and or take) meaningful."
Maybe we may get more participation. I talked to some of my friends at school. And I got them to read some news from HH contests, 4/7 of them said, the names off-put them.
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #6
Hammered
Nailed It!

Look ! Over here! there's something that isn't getting enough participation! Let's try making it less fun, while simultaneously implementing serious concepts in a cartoon game with cartoon monsters. Yes! Brilliant idea! Finally a way that will completely kill the site! Brilliant! (NOT!)
Old 01-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Well you're really in a fiesty mood today. But this is just an opinion poll. Since you're the holder of these contests, you can choose whether to take ideas or just have it as it is. And with the new feature of the JSP input, we can move beyond using the same sprites over and over again. I would like to think of Supreme as a more modern MegaZuex game.

But everyone has their own opinions, and I'll still keep my opinion.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #8
HappyStikBeaver
Eyeball Tree Of Fury!

Thumbs down

I think the whole suggesting/voting on names thing ensures the names chosen are the ones that the community wants.

Last edited by HappyStikBeaver; 01-22-2014 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Pseudoedit
HappyStikBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
REACTOR
Question the trends!

It's really empty around here.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #10
Hammered
Nailed It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammered View Post
Look ! Over here! there's something that isn't getting enough participation! Let's try making it less fun, while simultaneously implementing serious concepts in a cartoon game with cartoon monsters. Yes! Brilliant idea! Finally a way that will completely kill the site! Brilliant! (NOT!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessManiac View Post
Well you're really in a fiesty mood today. But this is just an opinion poll. Since you're the holder of these contests, you can choose whether to take ideas or just have it as it is. And with the new feature of the JSP input, we can move beyond using the same sprites over and over again. I would like to think of Supreme as a more modern MegaZuex game.

But everyone has their own opinions, and I'll still keep my opinion.
I somehow missed that response when it was originally posted, but sense it completely misrepresents the situation, I thought I would clarify it.

When Jamul became too busy to run these little contests, various other Hamumians took over running them. For some time, this continued to work, but participation slowly dwindled without Jamul's active input. Eventually new people would come in and sometimes one of them would try to do the kickoff. As the original site mod, I noticed these efforts, and if I saw someone making a serious mistake with the timing or the rules, I would correct them via PMs. If too much time went by before someone else started them, I would start them, since I knew the rules and had more than enough YB from DumbWords and T.A.G. to pay for the prizes. As you can see, I am not "the holder of these contests" but someone trying to keep the train from going off the tracks.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Quote:
I somehow missed that response when it was originally posted, but sense it completely misrepresents the situation, I thought I would clarify it.

When Jamul became too busy to run these little contests, various other Hamumians took over running them. For some time, this continued to work, but participation slowly dwindled without Jamul's active input. Eventually new people would come in and sometimes one of them would try to do the kickoff. As the original site mod, I noticed these efforts, and if I saw someone making a serious mistake with the timing or the rules, I would correct them via PMs. If too much time went by before someone else started them, I would start them, since I knew the rules and had more than enough YB from DumbWords and T.A.G. to pay for the prizes. As you can see, I am not "the holder of these contests" but someone trying to keep the train from going off the tracks.
Oh I see. So anyone can jump in and hold the contests as long as they have Yerfbucks, hold the contest correctly without too much deviation, have some testers to back them up, and just be active.

Well if Jamul is not going to be the conductor of HH15 this year, then why don't I try this experiment with an extra rule. Speaking of which, how long will these contests go for, will this year be the last of the world building HH contests?

Last edited by ChessManiac; 08-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #12
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Speaking of which, the name suggestion contest for HH15 is on the way in a few days time, who will be hosting it? Or will there be an empty slot for someone to hold Jamul's place.

I don't think we will have much of a problem with testers, we have the usual trio, plus HappyStikBeaver who regained a bit of interest. But the only problem, if there are any releases, will be getting people to fix their worlds. Spacemaniac hasn't made much of a move on progress with his HH13 and HH14 world, I just hope he does so we don't have such a backlog of worlds.

Last edited by REACTOR; 08-31-2014 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
REACTOR
Question the trends!

It looks like Jamul will not be running HH15 this year because of the lack of worlds last year, understandable, I think I will have my try at being conductor. What is "TM" anyway?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #14
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
It looks like Jamul will not be running HH15 this year because of the lack of worlds last year, understandable, I think I will have my try at being conductor. What is "TM" anyway?
Total Mayhem, that is, the subforum you are posting in.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #15
Hammered
Nailed It!

I don't see why you are trying to move the HH theme away from the way it has always been - only one person who responded agreed with you as the other response it yours - this attempt to steer HH away from its traditional roots is doomed to failure.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #16
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
I don't see why you are trying to move the HH theme away from the way it has always been - only one person who responded agreed with you as the other response it yours - this attempt to steer HH away from its traditional roots is doomed to failure.
Because calthax REACTOR.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #17
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Maybe it is doomed to fail, but this current state of Halloween is not Halloween, and I am not steering it too far, I've added a rule which states that if you can't think of anything refreshing or meaningful, than by all means exempt rule 11, so it's not far gone. I am leaving it up to the member to be honest about trying, and I really hoped any participates atleast tried to think of new names instead of going gangbusters with the usual.

Why are you guys so adamant about a new change. Simply giving the verdict, "It's fun" is very weak. You don't know whether these names could turn into fun levels, you don't even know whether these names could be something more inspiring.

Just please give it a try!