Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 23, 2017
Old 02-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #1
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Default WIFI Is Not Safe

Hello, I thought I would share this health concern with you guys since many of us today are using WIFI. *This is not some ridiculous ad which tries to get you to buy Ethernet cables, that would just be stupid and I think I am above that, in this case, I firmly believe that this Wireless way of internet is not safe and going back to Ethernet may be rewarding in many more ways than you think.*

I have recently discovered a few articles claiming that WIFI is not safe for long term use.

WIFI works be emitting Radiowaves or some people call them Microwaves to various devices. Am I not right?

This already sounds dangerous as Mobile Phones use Radiowaves, and we already had several studies of it's problems. So the waves it's emitting can definitely be considered dangerous over long term usage without a question.

The second problem that arises is that companies who make these routers/modems which have WIFI rarely care about people's safety. Although the world has generally advanced with technology, ethics is a different kettle of fish.

While some companies/corporations claim all this goody goody stuff about how they care about the customers, they are so green to the environment, most of the time, they are simply lying, the bottom line is always money.

The problems WIFI causes are the following:
Insomnia
Disturbs Brain Cell Development
Damages Your Brain
More controversially: Increases Cardiac Stress

These are not just some woo woo cons to scare people, they are real, and they are there.

While Ethernet may seem like a hassle to set up for some people it is certainly better than the damaging effects of WIFI.

Ethernet for one has faster speeds, and can't be intercepted easily.

While you may say, "What's the point, we are always being bombarded with these Radio waves everyday." The point is to limit your exposure from it.

For people who have devices such as Androids or iPads which can't connect to the internet without WIFI, it's not like we are in the 90s, there are several Ethernet adapters for those which can be easily found on the web.
ChessManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:49 AM   #2
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Default Re: WIFI Is Not Safe

So have you actually got credible, peer-reviewed sources for these claims or is this going to be another edition of 'Oh No, Modern Technologies!'

Anyhow some of these claims are obviously wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessManiac View Post
I have recently discovered a few articles claiming that WIFI is not safe for long term use.
Don't link to these or anything. That's definitely how you cite things.

Quote:
WIFI works be emitting Radiowaves or some people call them Microwaves to various devices. Am I not right?
Radiowaves and Microwaves are categorically different. Since you can't get this right, the rest of your claims are now under serious doubt.

Quote:
This already sounds dangerous as Mobile Phones use Radiowaves, and we already had several studies of it's problems. So the waves it's emitting can definitely be considered dangerous over long term usage without a question.
These are some high quality citations. It's almost like these studies exist! Also human cells are not the correct size, shape or material to interact with radio waves.

Quote:
The second problem that arises is that companies who make these routers/modems which have WIFI rarely care about people's safety. Although the world has generally advanced with technology, ethics is a different kettle of fish.

While some companies/corporations claim all this goody goody stuff about how they care about the customers, they are so green to the environment, most of the time, they are simply lying, the bottom line is always money.
This is entirely unrelated to the main point.

Quote:
The problems WIFI causes are the following:
Insomnia
Disturbs Brain Cell Development
Damages Your Brain
More controversially: Increases Cardiac Stress

These are not just some woo woo cons to scare people, they are real, and they are there.
I'd be more scared if there were actually citations.

Quote:
While you may say, "What's the point, we are always being bombarded with these Radio waves everyday." The point is to limit your exposure from it.
This is impossible. If your radio works, you are being exposed to radiowaves. In my case, I can probably tune into BBC Radio anywhere in the UK. And in parts of France.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #3
Megadog
The Demagogue

Just going to say, as an engineer who has studied this sort of thing, Wifi is FINE. They use low frequency light (AKA Radio waves, microwaves are high frequency) to transmit signals. There have been no major side effects noted to the constant presence of radio waves.

If you want something to worry about, what little I've learned about power electronics so far makes it sound like the amount of electricity running through power lines causes them to act like triple plate capacitors, and if they are long enough, they form standing waves of electrical potential. This is unsafe, and if one were to discharge it would have catastrophic results. However, this is also no longer a problem, as contrary to your belief, engineers actually have a code of professional practice that, among other things, encourages the priority of ethics. If an engineer is found to have done unethical work knowingly, he can be stripped of his status by the engineering community. (on track, because this is a major problem in normal power lines, engineers have found other solutions to these problems. This is one of the reasons you see those little boxes on power lines every so often, though that is far from the only measure taken.)
Old 02-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #4
seamonkey
spoon eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Just going to say, as an engineer who has studied this sort of thing, Wifi is FINE. They use low frequency light (AKA Radio waves, microwaves are high frequency) to transmit signals. There have been no major side effects noted to the constant presence of radio waves.
Wifi actually uses ultra high frequency (2.4 GHz) and super high frequency (5.0 GHz) radiowaves not low frequency radiowaves. The wavelengths are actually within (the low end) of the microwave spectrum.

I should note these still aren't dangerous, as they literally carry less energy into you than a lightbulb. Also background radiation n stuff.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:34 PM   #5
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

Well huge histake on my part during one line in my post, what I meant to say was that...

"WIFI works be emitting Radiowaves, and some people say they emit Microwaves, but lets look at Radiowaves".

Edit: For some sources, here is a loaded article. http://www.arizonaadvancedmedicine.c...ifi_blues.html

Last edited by ChessManiac; 02-08-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
Wifi actually uses ultra high frequency (2.4 GHz) and super high frequency (5.0 GHz) radiowaves not low frequency radiowaves. The wavelengths are actually within (the low end) of the microwave spectrum.

I should note these still aren't dangerous, as they literally carry less energy into you than a lightbulb. Also background radiation n stuff.
Ahh, sorry, must have been thinking of some other wireless technology...

Still, these are still fine, as has been stated enough times. If tech isn't safe, more often than not it will not be used.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
ChessManiac
Dumb Person

But you are making a lot of assumptions there.

If they thought something was majorally wrong with it, they wouldn't use it. But the problem is, people don't know until someone tells them, when they are buying the WIFI, they are assuming that since so many other people have WIFI, that it must be safe.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #8
seamonkey
spoon eater

No they're assuming that people tested whether constant exposure to low frequency low intensity light had any ill effects. It didn't.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:27 PM   #9
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessManiac View Post
But you are making a lot of assumptions there.

If they thought something was majorally wrong with it, they wouldn't use it. But the problem is, people don't know until someone tells them, when they are buying the WIFI, they are assuming that since so many other people have WIFI, that it must be safe.
You clearly don't understand that in the process of making these things it is required that we ensure they are safe. Engineers aren't allowed to just make stuff that uses completely new technology and just assume it's safe, they are required to test it. As it is, there is more dangerous tech you can encounter in everyday life and they have started to make it illegal to work with this stuff precisely because it's dangerous (The tech in question is any electrical equipment containing lead, mercury or cadmium, the first two were only used in really old tech and the third one in very specific, highly precise components. You don't need to worry about this.)

Furthermore, YOU are the one making the assumptions. I'm a third year electrical engineering student. There are a lot of steps we go through during design and fabrication, and I can ensure you that safety checking is there.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:50 PM   #10
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

lol