REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #3
seamonkey
spoon eater

Default Re: Earth's Axis Has Shifted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
Seamonkey questions citations.
Yes and no. I would enjoy seeing what these people actually say, rather than see reporting that is at a minimum third hand. This article cites the Inuit seeing things as different, which isn't really helpful. Second there are a couple things to say: first is that they may be right. Precession, nutation, and to a far lesser extent true polar shift are all known things that affect earths axis relative to the sun day to day. (OK timeframe is way slower than that) It is highly unlikely that they [Inuit elders] would notice something like this, but they are probably the most likely non astronomers to notice. More likely is that their memories are off, because lets face it: old memories contain inaccuracies. I'd also be interested in knowing the lifespan of a Inuit person over time. Another thing to say is that the two theories aren't mutually exclusive, and to my knowledge the Inuit don't claim it is.

Now that I've said all that I can for the credibility of this theory let me say that is is unlikely to be true. I haven't checked but I'd hazard a guess that various space agencies would have noticed should the earth be tilting in ways we don't expect. Physics of things like this is pretty well understood (possibly excepting some geology), and I suspect we'd notice if things appeared to rotate slightly in unexpected ways. But hey, I could be wrong on all counts, in which case we have the technology and infrastructure to check.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
Megadog
The Demagogue

I do both. Seriously, this will be big news, coming from scientists, when it happens. We don't currently know what, if anything, will happen when it does, though hypothesis include creatures that use the magnetic field of the earth will suddenly fail to operate as they should. Inuit elders (who, among other things, appear to deny man made climate change) have absolutely no authority on the subject. Their whole argument is that they can no longer predict the whether, a feat that in and of itself requires evidence.

Sorry to be blunt, but you really need to learn about how science and reasoning works. Blindly accepting something and having your argument being predicting your opponents counter argument is not good reasoning.

EDIT: It appears SM and I each assumed a different definition of "axis". I went with the magnetic pole, which I now see was the wrong one (but which has a higher chance of actually shifting dramatically, as it has been proven that the poles flip after a very long period of time.)

Last edited by Megadog; 03-09-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 PM   #5
seamonkey
spoon eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
EDIT: It appears SM and I each assumed a different definition of "axis". I went with the magnetic pole, which I now see was the wrong one (but which has a higher chance of actually shifting dramatically, as it has been proven that the poles flip after a very long period of time.)
Yeah the magnetic north pole moves like 30 miles a year. If their observations were based on magnetism over 50 or 60 years seeing a slight change in something would be plausible. (for example compasses pointing a different direction?)

I should clarify that naturally the earth can change by plus/minus 9 seconds in obliquity, which is exceedingly small.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:42 AM   #6
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Yeah, if this had happened people would have noticed. The middle of the ocean is pretty dark so it turns out navigating by starlight is pretty effectual. Since nobody has ever found a bunch of obviously wrong star-charts or historical references to a sudden celestial shift, it didn't happen pre-NASA. Post NASA, we have so much stuff pointed at the sky that half the planet would notice. You couldn't even cover it up once all the amateur astronomers started talking about it.

Tune in next week when we hear how fish proved P = NP.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 AM   #7
seamonkey
spoon eater

REACTOR, I have reached a conclusion. I think you need to start reading academic literature, to see how far they go to explain all the mechanisms and warrants and detail that professionals go to. I think a big problem present is that a lot of academic literature is available only to specific people. Therefore if you want to learn about something I encourage you to hit me up.