Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 17, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 03-21-2015, 04:10 AM   #1
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Default Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

Hello, does anyone know of an addon/software which blocks web pages with certain words in them and where you can make the blocking page look like it isn't part of any installed addons/software?

For example:

This page has been blocked because of several complaints...
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
seamonkey
spoon eater

Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

I mean I have an extension that could probably do this if a webpage that looks the way you want a blocked site to look like already exists, but why would you want this?
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Well, my sister keeps on searching up and looking at creepy pasta articles, videos, and all those things, my family really really doesn't approve of it, and we had several talks with her.

But she keeps on doing it! Seeing that we are out of options, the only thing I can think of is having a web page blocker.

Although there is a very customizable one known as FoxFilter, it's very obvious though, and can be disabled easily! What I need is something which is hidden, and doesn't look like it was some piece of software installed onto her machine.

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-21-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 PM   #4
seamonkey
spoon eater

...I don't feel comfortable helping you police your sisters web usage.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #5
REACTOR
Question the trends!

*Sigh* Okay...
Old 03-21-2015, 10:28 PM   #6
Megadog
The Demagogue

Honestly, your parents seem a tad too strict. What's the problem with her doing something that she likes (and that is legal)?
Old 03-21-2015, 11:05 PM   #7
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
Honestly, your parents seem a tad too strict. What's the problem with her doing something that she likes (and that is legal)?
The problem my family has with this type of horror content, is that it worsens emotional health, and increases fear of the unknown and everything.

This content is extremely dangerous, and my sister is still young! People must be 20 years of age to view this stuff, she and not even I, are ready to view these horror trends.

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-21-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:43 PM   #8
Boneheads
King of the Boneheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
This content is extremely dangerous, and my sister is still young! People must be 20 years of age to view this stuff, she and not even I, are ready to view these horror trends.
This is debatable. I read stuff on creepypasta when I was like 9 years old, and it didn't give me nightmares or anything. It's really not that bad or damaging. Of course, I don't know the full story. Maybe your sister is prone to this kind of stuff.
Boneheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:18 AM   #9
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneheads View Post
This is debatable. I read stuff on creepypasta when I was like 9 years old, and it didn't give me nightmares or anything. It's really not that bad or damaging. Of course, I don't know the full story. Maybe your sister is prone to this kind of stuff.
She is! I can already see her emotional health starting to degrade. When I asked her for an idea for a theme, she said that she could only think about creepy stuff.

>During night time she is very timid. The slightest strange sound can disturb her for hours.
>She can't go anywhere in the house at night without having anyone around.

I would say, this requires some action. And as I said, we had many talks with her, but she keeps on doing it!

Although it is common for people to be free willed, this is going too far.

Last edited by REACTOR; 03-22-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #10
REACTOR
Question the trends!

This is getting to the point of irritation!

My family is actually quite relaxed with our computer usage and allow us to do anything as long as it isn't rated 18+, both my sister and I are young teenagers, so therefore we are restricted in some places.

What I don't get is why you people think of spirit believers as crackpots while people who believe in god are seen as peaceful, moral, and best friends.

Mind you Creepy Pastas should and are only for people who are 20 years of age. Creepy Pastas can be just as disruptive as 18+ stuff.

And it is disruptive! Now come on! And what makes this stuff different from your horror movies? You can understand that you need to be a certain age to view horror films.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:58 PM   #11
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
What I don't get is why you people think of spirit believers as crackpots while people who believe in god are seen as peaceful, moral, and best friends.
Please, do not assume by any means that this is the case. I think people who believe in spirits, or the like, or god, are all equally delusional. I also, however, don't believe we should dictate how other people live their lives. I see no problem with what you sister is doing in the same way that I see no problem in people attending church, or praying. It's ultimately her choice, and you shouldn't actively trying to stop her unless she asks for help, or her actions start hurting other people (Please note, causing people to worry about her doesn't hurt them.)

As for horror movies, they are classified by age group depending almost exclusively on particulars in the content. Visible gore, sexual themes and swearing are the main reason these things earn their ratings.

You have to understand that you ultimately can't change people. She clearly enjoys this, and it doesn't hurt anyone else. The most you should do, if you believe it significantly harms her, is encourage her to stop, and if she doesn't want to, your should leave her be.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:06 PM   #12
REACTOR
Question the trends!

:/

Okay, but I believe this will have severe consequences in the long run.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #13
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
:/

Okay, but I believe this will have severe consequences in the long run.
Like what, exactly?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #14
REACTOR
Question the trends!

My sister makes a very interesting but at the same time disturbing case. She will read some stories and watch some videos during the day, and then at night she will be really scared. This cycle continues on and on and on.

I feel that if she doesn't snap out of it or if someone puts a stop it, she will have severely damaged mental health.

Her studies will be disrupted because of continuing creepy thoughts, and at night she won't be able to sleep.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:31 PM   #15
Megadog
The Demagogue

If it's seriously impacting her studies, and she cares about her grades, she'll reduce it on her own. She needs to learn that during study times she needs to cut back, and the best way to learn that is to let her see that her grades have dropped as a result of that. This situation, along with all the problems you propose, only effects her. If her life is significantly worse as a result, she will learn this, and stop, on her own accord. Your intervention will likely only exasperate the situation.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:22 AM   #16
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
If it's seriously impacting her studies, and she cares about her grades, she'll reduce it on her own. She needs to learn that during study times she needs to cut back, and the best way to learn that is to let her see that her grades have dropped as a result of that. This situation, along with all the problems you propose, only effects her. If her life is significantly worse as a result, she will learn this, and stop, on her own accord. Your intervention will likely only exasperate the situation.
But the thing is she has seen her results! And still nothing is done.

Sometimes we people are not able to self-regulate ourselves, self-regulations is a hard mindset to achieve.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:23 AM   #17
Megadog
The Demagogue

That may be the case, but being restrained against your will generally makes you view the people restraining you as fundamentally wrong. She won't LEARN if you just take it away from her.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #18
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

yeah but in this case REACTOR actually has a point? As much as it's fun to be all idealistic about freedom and all that, we're not talking about an adult here, and sometimes you need to put your foot down. Also, if people are going to ruin their grades, doing it by reading badly written spooky stories is a letdown!?

Anyhow, time to ruin everything and give a serious answer REACTOR's question. (ha ha ha!)

It's probably impossible to cover up that you're blocking websites. If your sister has visited these sites before, she'll probably notice that they've all stopped working at once. Too bad for her I guess, and hey, she shouldn't be destroying her education.

So, the solution. I'd recommend a service called OpenDNS. It's router based, so providing your parents keep their account secure, I find it unlikely that your sister can bypass it. It can be subverted, however I'm not saying how, for obvious reasons. Anyway, the home service is free to use, pretty customizable, fairly comprehensive and orange. It's very orange. Check it out, I guess.

(oh no i provided a solution to a problem. what have I done)
Old 04-12-2015, 11:49 AM   #19
seamonkey
spoon eater

At least a chunk of my reluctance to help with this endeavor is that even if sometimes you should censor young teens, I'm not sure her brother who is only a couple years older is the correct agent to do so. If REACTOR was this girls parent the scenario would be very different.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #20
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Well I'm assuming REACTOR's parents are the final arbiters of this decision. If not, they should be. Parenting and all that.