Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 18, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #21
seamonkey
spoon eater
 
seamonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: the question is where are you?
Posts: 1,616
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

The whole "make it look like it's not blocking software and is an ISP level thing or whatever" made it sound to me like REACTOR was trying to take this into his own hands.
__________________
French fry Kremlin the morose nucleotides!-Jamul
There is no fifth amendment in mafia games - you don't have a right to be silent!- hammered
"So tell me Harry, what exactly is the purpose of a rubber duck?" -Mr. Weasly
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #22
Megadog
The Demagogue
 
Megadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At home duhhh!
Posts: 2,416
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

HyperMe, the point I've been trying to make, is that if she doesn't understand why she shouldn't be doing it, and then it's taken away, she'll likely just find another way to get it. If this is really having detrimental effects on her, and she's not stopping, it may be an addiction, at which point at it might be better to take her to a psychiatrist. She'll only react badly if you remove her stimulus, and eventually, she'll find a way around the block.
__________________
Back to the roots: Lets put the Hamumu back into Hamumu Forums!
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #23
REACTOR
Question the trends!
 
REACTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,162
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

Thank you very much for your solution Hyperme!

And also, my parents do support this decision. Both my parents forbid my sister and I from going anywhere near those Creepy Pasta themed sites, and they are indeed disruptive and can destroy your mental health.

They did say that if we continue reading, watching, etc... etc... up on this cesspool of the internet world we will get our internet privileges changed in certain ways.

And also, it's my duty to help my family in whatever way I can!
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:57 AM   #24
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British
 
hyperme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
HyperMe, the point I've been trying to make, is that if she doesn't understand why she shouldn't be doing it, and then it's taken away, she'll likely just find another way to get it. If this is really having detrimental effects on her, and she's not stopping, it may be an addiction, at which point at it might be better to take her to a psychiatrist. She'll only react badly if you remove her stimulus, and eventually, she'll find a way around the block.
what no you haven't. you've been encouraging a complete lack of any action, under the justification of 'she'll stop if it's really bad for her'. no one else was giving a solution, so i provided one, under the assumption that other, less drastic measures had been attempted.

also why are you capitalizing the m in my name? it's clearly a single word!

edit: also 'do nothing until you need a professional' is kind of bad parenting advice. ideally you want to try to solve the problem without having to involve medical intervention if possible. obviously, in some cases this won't work, but sometime it's possible.
__________________
This space unintentionally left blank

Last edited by hyperme; 04-13-2015 at 06:23 AM.
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #25
FlatOutLie
Cake
 
FlatOutLie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: On your plate. Hah I lied
Posts: 99
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

I would say that creepy pasta does not have long term effects; she might just be a fear junkie because not alot of things scare her. Thats like me, I will watch docter who and then get really scared to go to bed or go near windows at night but then the next day I dont care.

Ive read only one creepypasta and thats the one about pokemon. But it never effected me playing pokemon. So yeah maybe just she shouldnt veiw it on schoolnights, so that her sleep isnt effected but I would just let her read this stuff on Friday and sunday.

Creepypasta shouldnt effect your mental health really. Unless maybe your autistic or have a birth defect.
__________________
FlatOutLie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #26
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British
 
hyperme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 1,322
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

The real problem with most creepypasta is the terrible writing quality. most go something like this:


I was into nostalgia for Muppets, so I whent to Muppetcon. Then there was lost episode!!! It was strange, and Kermit was into die!!!!!!!!!! AND THEN A SPOOKY SKELETON JUMPED OUT! however i managed to make it kill, and got a sweet sword.

Retweet this 23 times or Fozzie Bear will tell bad jokes when you try sleeping!!!!!
__________________
This space unintentionally left blank
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #27
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms
 
.Blue Dwarf.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Saving the World, one pond at a time.
Posts: 1,443
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
The real problem with most creepypasta is the terrible writing quality.]

But haven't you heard? You can literally get possessed and summon demons by reading creepy pastas!

I'd say that's the "real" problem for sure.
__________________
Eh. Have some smilies I guess.
.Blue Dwarf. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #28
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer
 
SpaceManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,076
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
The real problem with most creepypasta is the terrible writing quality.
The Growtopia world REACTOR mentioned in another thread is full of such gems. Some of my favorite lines were "i have no choice but die" and "the most attic." But kids are impressionable about this sort of stuff.

On a more useful note, try sitting down and having a serious discussion with your sister. Review questions like: is the habit affecting her grades, or her life in other ways? Is she aware of that? Does she want to fix it? Does she need or want external help? Of course your parents have a right to parent, including blocking websites or whatever else if they decide that's best, but it might help you in your quest to know your sister's perspective better.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #29
Megadog
The Demagogue
 
Megadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At home duhhh!
Posts: 2,416
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
what no you haven't. you've been encouraging a complete lack of any action, under the justification of 'she'll stop if it's really bad for her'. no one else was giving a solution, so i provided one, under the assumption that other, less drastic measures had been attempted.

also why are you capitalizing the m in my name? it's clearly a single word!

edit: also 'do nothing until you need a professional' is kind of bad parenting advice. ideally you want to try to solve the problem without having to involve medical intervention if possible. obviously, in some cases this won't work, but sometime it's possible.
It was what I was trying to get at with my last point, though I can see I was pretty bad at making that clear.

As for your name, I'm not sure why I thought it was two words. Apologies.

And I wasn't encouraging no action, just not direct blocking of things. Encouraging via other means I would be fine with, my qualm is with the censorship. Though I understand that other people have differing opinions on how censorship should be applied, I don't think it's effective or necessary.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
On a more useful note, try sitting down and having a serious discussion with your sister. Review questions like: is the habit affecting her grades, or her life in other ways? Is she aware of that? Does she want to fix it? Does she need or want external help? Of course your parents have a right to parent, including blocking websites or whatever else if they decide that's best, but it might help you in your quest to know your sister's perspective better.
This is the kind of thing I would encourage. Making her understand why she shouldn't do it is important, rather than just outright stopping her. (If she really understands what she's doing is wrong, and still continues to do it, then blocking may be the only solution. At that point, use the thing hyperme posted.)
__________________
Back to the roots: Lets put the Hamumu back into Hamumu Forums!

Last edited by Megadog; 04-13-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #30
REACTOR
Question the trends!
 
REACTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,162
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

She does indeed understand what she is doing. But she just keeps on doing it no matter how it effects her behaviour or her daily life.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #31
Megadog
The Demagogue
 
Megadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At home duhhh!
Posts: 2,416
Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
She does indeed understand what she is doing. But she just keeps on doing it no matter how it effects her behaviour or her daily life.
I meant understand why it's being taken away, but yeah, do what you must. Don't try to hide it though. Rather, make it explicit that the sites have been blocked.
__________________
Back to the roots: Lets put the Hamumu back into Hamumu Forums!
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help,OLD SOFTWARE REACTOR General Blabber 14 11-01-2013 10:38 PM
Animation software? rmorrilly General Blabber 2 02-14-2011 05:24 PM
There is a Bonehead blocking your only path. Redbone Total Mayhem 62 05-12-2010 05:39 PM
Edit Blocking after Time Discussion Mr.Onion Total Mayhem 9 01-04-2007 11:51 AM
Dexterity Software Redbone Non-Hamumu Games 3 06-16-2006 01:33 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Site Map
Copyright 2017, Hamumu Games Inc.