Hamumu Software Hamumu Software Hamumu Software
Name
Password Register
Latest Journal update: Oct 18, 2017

Go Back   Hamumu Forum > General > Total Mayhem

Old 04-12-2015, 02:52 PM   #21
seamonkey
spoon eater

Default Re: Anyone knows of Web Page blocking software.

The whole "make it look like it's not blocking software and is an ISP level thing or whatever" made it sound to me like REACTOR was trying to take this into his own hands.
seamonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #22
Megadog
The Demagogue

HyperMe, the point I've been trying to make, is that if she doesn't understand why she shouldn't be doing it, and then it's taken away, she'll likely just find another way to get it. If this is really having detrimental effects on her, and she's not stopping, it may be an addiction, at which point at it might be better to take her to a psychiatrist. She'll only react badly if you remove her stimulus, and eventually, she'll find a way around the block.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #23
REACTOR
Question the trends!

Thank you very much for your solution Hyperme!

And also, my parents do support this decision. Both my parents forbid my sister and I from going anywhere near those Creepy Pasta themed sites, and they are indeed disruptive and can destroy your mental health.

They did say that if we continue reading, watching, etc... etc... up on this cesspool of the internet world we will get our internet privileges changed in certain ways.

And also, it's my duty to help my family in whatever way I can!
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 04:57 AM   #24
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadog View Post
HyperMe, the point I've been trying to make, is that if she doesn't understand why she shouldn't be doing it, and then it's taken away, she'll likely just find another way to get it. If this is really having detrimental effects on her, and she's not stopping, it may be an addiction, at which point at it might be better to take her to a psychiatrist. She'll only react badly if you remove her stimulus, and eventually, she'll find a way around the block.
what no you haven't. you've been encouraging a complete lack of any action, under the justification of 'she'll stop if it's really bad for her'. no one else was giving a solution, so i provided one, under the assumption that other, less drastic measures had been attempted.

also why are you capitalizing the m in my name? it's clearly a single word!

edit: also 'do nothing until you need a professional' is kind of bad parenting advice. ideally you want to try to solve the problem without having to involve medical intervention if possible. obviously, in some cases this won't work, but sometime it's possible.

Last edited by hyperme; 04-13-2015 at 06:23 AM.
hyperme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 09:15 AM   #25
FlatOutLie
Cake

I would say that creepy pasta does not have long term effects; she might just be a fear junkie because not alot of things scare her. Thats like me, I will watch docter who and then get really scared to go to bed or go near windows at night but then the next day I dont care.

Ive read only one creepypasta and thats the one about pokemon. But it never effected me playing pokemon. So yeah maybe just she shouldnt veiw it on schoolnights, so that her sleep isnt effected but I would just let her read this stuff on Friday and sunday.

Creepypasta shouldnt effect your mental health really. Unless maybe your autistic or have a birth defect.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #26
hyperme
Not Evil, Just British

The real problem with most creepypasta is the terrible writing quality. most go something like this:

I was into nostalgia for Muppets, so I whent to Muppetcon. Then there was lost episode!!! It was strange, and Kermit was into die!!!!!!!!!! AND THEN A SPOOKY SKELETON JUMPED OUT! however i managed to make it kill, and got a sweet sword.

Retweet this 23 times or Fozzie Bear will tell bad jokes when you try sleeping!!!!!
Old 04-13-2015, 02:48 PM   #27
.Blue Dwarf.
King of the Shrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperme View Post
The real problem with most creepypasta is the terrible writing quality.]

But haven't you heard? You can literally get possessed and summon demons by reading creepy pastas!

I'd say that's the "real" problem for sure.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #28
SpaceManiac
Veteran Programmer

Quote:
The real problem with most creepypasta is the terrible writing quality.
The Growtopia world REACTOR mentioned in another thread is full of such gems. Some of my favorite lines were "i have no choice but die" and "the most attic." But kids are impressionable about this sort of stuff.

On a more useful note, try sitting down and having a serious discussion with your sister. Review questions like: is the habit affecting her grades, or her life in other ways? Is she aware of that? Does she want to fix it? Does she need or want external help? Of course your parents have a right to parent, including blocking websites or whatever else if they decide that's best, but it might help you in your quest to know your sister's perspective better.
SpaceManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #29
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
what no you haven't. you've been encouraging a complete lack of any action, under the justification of 'she'll stop if it's really bad for her'. no one else was giving a solution, so i provided one, under the assumption that other, less drastic measures had been attempted.

also why are you capitalizing the m in my name? it's clearly a single word!

edit: also 'do nothing until you need a professional' is kind of bad parenting advice. ideally you want to try to solve the problem without having to involve medical intervention if possible. obviously, in some cases this won't work, but sometime it's possible.
It was what I was trying to get at with my last point, though I can see I was pretty bad at making that clear.

As for your name, I'm not sure why I thought it was two words. Apologies.

And I wasn't encouraging no action, just not direct blocking of things. Encouraging via other means I would be fine with, my qualm is with the censorship. Though I understand that other people have differing opinions on how censorship should be applied, I don't think it's effective or necessary.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManiac View Post
On a more useful note, try sitting down and having a serious discussion with your sister. Review questions like: is the habit affecting her grades, or her life in other ways? Is she aware of that? Does she want to fix it? Does she need or want external help? Of course your parents have a right to parent, including blocking websites or whatever else if they decide that's best, but it might help you in your quest to know your sister's perspective better.
This is the kind of thing I would encourage. Making her understand why she shouldn't do it is important, rather than just outright stopping her. (If she really understands what she's doing is wrong, and still continues to do it, then blocking may be the only solution. At that point, use the thing hyperme posted.)

Last edited by Megadog; 04-13-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Megadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:26 PM   #30
REACTOR
Question the trends!

She does indeed understand what she is doing. But she just keeps on doing it no matter how it effects her behaviour or her daily life.
REACTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:46 PM   #31
Megadog
The Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by REACTOR View Post
She does indeed understand what she is doing. But she just keeps on doing it no matter how it effects her behaviour or her daily life.
I meant understand why it's being taken away, but yeah, do what you must. Don't try to hide it though. Rather, make it explicit that the sites have been blocked.